Survivor: Winners at War - Finale OAD 05/13/20

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TriBruin, May 14, 2020.

1. May 14, 2020 #1 of 146
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL

Advertisements

Well, after all the back and forth, the jury did the right thing and voted for the best player in the game. Tony earned that victory and should certainly be considered one of the best players of all time.

I do wonder if Natalie would have won if the final 3 had been Michelle, Denise, and Nat.

I wasn't too happy they put an II back in play with only one regular tribal left. That is too late in the game, especially after three had been played the previous TC. I know Jeff and the producers like IIs, but they are too powerful and prevalent now.

I liked the extended episode, but I would have liked to see some of the players again.

I know that some people didn't like season because of EoE, but this season ranks very high for me.

But, now it is time for many of these players to retire. We don't need to see Rob or Tyson again.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  2. May 14, 2020 #2 of 146
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Because of the ultimate outcome, I think it was a strong season, but I will admit if Nat won, it would have ranked very low on the list. Yes, an EoE winner (again) would have completely ruined the season for me, and as it is, Nat still got 4 votes. i agree that if Tony wasn't there, she wins. Rob nailed it, Nat's job was to get out the best player, Tony and she couldn't do it. I thought it was interesting when he (I think it was Rob) posed the question of why didn't Nat, knowing that getting Tony out, take it upon herself to challenge him on the fire challenge. Instead she left it to others. You'd think she would have known that she didn't have a chance to beat Tony if he made it to the final three. Still, they made it too easy for her to get to the final 3. First her advantages to get back in helped her win. Considering the trouble she had getting to the puzzle, if she didn't have the advantages she had no chance. Second, having that II that she bought on EoE saved her game. She was gone if she didn't have it. And I agree, having an II at 5 is too late. Tony, just nailed everything about this season and played an almost flawless game. Yes, his social game was good enough to get him that far, but ultimately it was his ability to win challenges when he needed to and to, well, make fire, got him to the end.

VegasVic and betts4 like this.
  3. May 14, 2020 #3 of 146
    GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    Having an II idol at five has been the norm for a long time now.

If Natalie had built fire against Tony, then that may have been seen as just copying Chris’s move when he won. I think she was damned either way if it was Tony in the F3 with her.

Sarah showed some incredible jury management in this episode, and Ben redeemed himself in my eyes.

Michelle also rose in my estimation. She had terrible gameplay her first go round and I remember feeling so dejected at her win.

4. May 14, 2020 #4 of 146
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Great ending to a great season.

5. May 14, 2020 #5 of 146
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001

Advertisements

Random thoughts:

If Sarah won the fire challenge I think she would have been the winner. Natalie really dropped the ball by not taking Tony on head to head. Rob even pointed out that Natalie had ignored many on EoE, going as far as to offer many names.

I was surprised it wasn't pointed out at Final Tribal that the only time Natalie could have possibly been voted out, she was. And she came in second place? Ugh.

I think jury members knew how the voting was going, and a few gave obligatory votes to Natalie for her wonderful effort on EoE.

The down to the wire fire challenge showed just how much luck is involved in winning. Tony played the best game I've ever seen, but 10 more seconds and he would have gone from greatest player ever to an afterthought.

6. May 14, 2020 #6 of 146
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Random thoughts on your random thoughts.

Agreed and would have been deserved. I think Sarah played a really good game. In fact, her best play was keeping Tony in line.
    I know Rob called her out on this, but I am not 100% sure that would have been the right move. She went from 100% change of being in the F3 to 50%. I would take the 100% any time. I think she should have been more forceful about that at TC.

Good point, but that is how the game is played.

I was a little surprised she got four votes. I think Parvatti's vote was a little surprising to me. Be she and Natalie seemed to really tights.

Well, I think Tony would still be ranked as one of the all time players even if he hadn't won, but I think there is now an argument for Tony to be the GOAT since he did. But, luck has always played a big part of the game. Right from the 1st day on the beach, who you get put on a tribe with can make a big difference from being a winner and the first to go.

brianric and Family like this.
  7. May 14, 2020 #7 of 146
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sarah had good jury management but terrible game play. I think it wound up costing her in the end. Her not even considering that Nat had an idol coming in from EoE screwed up her game, because they could have voted out Denise AND saved both Tony's and Ben's idol, either one could have been played to get out Michelle later on. We could have potentially wound up with Ben, Sarah and Tony at the end.

lynncosbm and stellie93 like this.
  8. May 14, 2020 #8 of 146
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Agree about Tony's game. I was rooting for him from the beginning and he really needs to be consider one of the best if not the best Survivor player ever. I have enjoyed watching him play both times he won. I doubt the jury just gave Nat some votes for the heck of it. I was surprised by who voted for her though. I know Parv did and I think Tyson. So much for these so called "Survivor lifers" not voting for an EoE returnee. There's something about being with someone all those weeks and we saw Parv play with Nat on a couple of those Firetoken transactions with the actual players. Not sure of Tyson's reasoning, but could be sour grapes for being voted out twice. You could see that most of the newer jury members voted for Tony. As I said, I think Rob nailed it and I really have a new respect for him. He might understand Survivor as well as anyone. He said that Nat had one job to do, and that was to get out Tony and she couldn't do it. I still think Tony was the only one who could beat Nat in the end, and I think Rob votes for Nat if she was up against anyone else but Tony.

VegasVic and lynncosbm like this.
  9. May 14, 2020 #9 of 146
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Wow! That fire making challenge was intense!!! I still think they should get rid of it, but it sure made for an exciting way to end the season. Tony has now solidified himself on the Mt. Rushmore of Survivor players, and this could very well have been the greatest game anyone has ever played. To not only dominate, but do it over 19 other winners is beyond impressive. Even Boston Rob was fawning all over him at the final tribal.
    I understand why Parv, Tyson and Jeremy voted for Natalie. Parv and Nat were really tight on Edge, and Parv is all about female empowerment. Tyson voted for her because she bought him the immunity idol, and Jeremy was going to vote for her no matter what because they are best buds in real life. The vote that really surprised me, though, was Ethan.

Family and LlamaLarry like this.
  10. May 14, 2020 #10 of 146
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Some Random thoughts and your Random thoughts :)

I disagree on both points. I don't think the jury respected Sarah's game as much. Some would have felt she rode Tony's cottails and he made all the moves. It's harder to project how you "kept someone in line" rather than point to something you actually did to win. And as I said, her refusal to not even accept the possibility that Nat came in with an II, cost her the Final three in my opinion.

Yes, which as I said, proves that the bond on EoE is strong, especially for players being there awhile. Parv is considered one of the all time greats, yet, she was willing to give the game to a "loser".

Of course there's always luck, but to me, in order to be considered one of the GOAT you have to win in the end. Same reason you can never consider the 2007 Pats one of the GOATS since they lost the Super Bowl. The fact that Tony actually controlled good portions of both his season AND won convinces me he's one of the GOATs.

11. May 14, 2020 #11 of 146
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I agree with Steve, glad Tony won but I would have been pissed if Natalie won, although I will say Natalie had a An excellent final tribal council with good arguments why she still affected the game.

Steveknj likes this.
  12. May 14, 2020 #12 of 146
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I didn't realize the relationship between Jeremy and Nat, so that makes sense, and I forgot about Tyson getting an II from Nat, so that made sense. Ethan, for some reason, I never felt was really into playing this time around. Maybe after surviving cancer and it had been so many years, he just didn't feel the game. So he just form the relationship with Nat on EoE. He really didn't know a lot of the other, newer players.

13. May 14, 2020 #13 of 146
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Even though Tony ultimately won, I think this season proves once again why Edge is a horrible idea and should be abandoned. Tony played a WAY better game than Natalie, and yet she still received four votes. If Tony doesn't make it to the final three, Natalie probably wins, despite playing even less days of the actual game than Chris Underwood.

14. May 14, 2020 #14 of 146
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    How did that cost her. The plan would have been to throw votes at Denise and eventually vote her off. Sarah was still at the end and lost the fire challenge.

15. May 14, 2020 #15 of 146
    Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Wait.... so no reunion show? They really couldn't film one on zoom and air it next week?? C'mon! It's not like they have a bunch of new riveting programming to give us. Such a let down.

I REALLY wanted them to talk to Ben to see if he is still married. Cuz that was one of the dumbest fvcking things I have ever seen. How can a married man who is a father just throw it all away like that and for WHAT?? She didn't even make it. The prize is $2 million dollars with a great chance to make it to top 4. And he is great at making fire! (Anyone know if they increased 2nd and 3rd place $$?)

ughhhhh!!!

Glad Tony won. He did amazing! And I kinda feel bad for him that after such a great season he didn't get a chance to speak about it and have his moment. Probst and CBS really messed up if they didn't film a reunion show.

I would not have been upset if Natalie won. She was impressive. With all of those fire tokes she was Jeff Frikkin Bezos!!

Michelle... sigh. Wrong side of just about EVERY vote. Even the Jeremy one. And was saved by Natalie. Though her come from behind immunity win gets her some props. And I liked that she put in the work to practice the fire making challenge.

Sarah Tyson'd herself. Twice. And sorry that "I'm ok with myself" speech while nice doesn't give her the win over Tony (or Nat imho). Had a 4-2 alliance advantage. Her and soon to be divorced Ben were solely responsible for messing that up.

Did Tony really go this season without a single vote against him?? Wow. He really is the nice version of Russell.

Congrats to Tony. Props to you Natalie. Chin up Sarah. Shame on you Ben. Don't relapse with Wendell Michelle. Shouldn't have stopped playing after you became the QueenSlayer Denise. GIVE US A FARKING REUNION SHOW JEFF!!!!!!!!

sushikitten and lynncosbm like this.
  16. May 14, 2020 #16 of 146
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I thought it was great. I'd have been satisfied with either Tony or Natalie.

That was the least bitter jury ever. No doubt because they all know what it's like to get to the end and sit in those seats. It was neat to see the respect that winners had for each other.

17. May 14, 2020 #17 of 146
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I’m not a Tony fan and I’m certain he would annoy me in real life, so I was bummed that he made the final 3. Oh well...

skypros and Rakim like this.
  18. May 14, 2020 #18 of 146
    realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Hmm...they could’ve voted out Michelle at final 5. Maybe Ben would’ve won final 4 immunity, but if he didn’t and Natalie still won, I would think she’d put Ben in firemaking against Tony. Sarah still doesn’t win, but she makes final 3.

Steveknj likes this.
  19. May 14, 2020 #19 of 146
    pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    I was happy with the outcome, Tony clearly deserved it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's got great game play, but he must be one charming SOB. Everyone there seemed to love him, regardless of what he had done. I really enjoyed Boston Rob's breakdown of Tony and Natalie's game play. I think Natalie did a great job. I remember being really annoyed by her and her sister both on Survivor and Amazing Race. I was not rooting for her at the beginning. She won me over though. Had she won I think it would have been deserved and I would have been happy about it too.

lynncosbm, skypros, stellie93 and 2 others like this.
  20. May 14, 2020 #20 of 146
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Because with Ben and Tony still have their idols if they target Denise from the beginning. And if they played it right, they make sure they they tell Nat she's the target, Nat burns her idol (and perhaps there's no new idol out here since the two other idols found in the main game are still in play) Now, Nat is vulnerable now and she goes at the next tribal. Alternatively, if Nat still has her idol, she doesn't go out and look for another idol, and if there's a new one someone other than Michelle finds it, and now Sarah, Ben and Tony all could have idols. So there are a bunch of different scenarios that could play out if they just voted out Denise at that point.