Survivor South Pacific S23E01 9/14/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JLucPicard, Sep 15, 2011.

1. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I know I'll probably get crucified for this, but it seems Survivor threads get enough traction to warrant episode threads rather than piggy-back on the thread containing primarily casting news and turning it into a season-long thread.

Here were the first two episode specific posts from that thread:

Discuss away!

2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Definitely.

IMO it's a promising start for the season. The location looks terrific and the cast looks fun and attractive. Once again, Survivor boots one of the hottest girls on the first vote.

The nerd, Cochrane, reminds me of a young Woody Allen. He'd better find some muscle though or he'll be next. For all the warm welcome Ozzy received, he's not much of a leader. Coach on the other hand got a cool reception but then managed to get much of his tribe behind him at camp.

Young Hantz is not Russel, but I can't wait until he has to take his shirt off. That ought to be good for a few yucks around the campfire. :)

Anyway, I'm officially looking forward to Wednesdays for the next few months!

3. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Loved how "Little Hantz" was talking the God talk and still was eyeball deep into that cleavage. :p

I'm liking Cochrane too. Hope he sticks around.

I'm not going to miss the poetry girl much.

The cowboy could be a great character, but I wonder how good his social game will be.

The woman that had the break-down... she won't last long I think. Then Papa Bear will go soon after. Probably...

yeah... love that this show is back (even with the stupid Redemption Island). :D

4. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I agree, episode threads would be better then an all season thread. Thanks for starting this up.

I like Cochrane but he needs to get past his awe of being on the show. Poetry girl made a mistake of thinking she could do something she couldn't and it cost the team. It happens.

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Woody Allen was exactly what I thought as well. With maybe a little Mark Zuckerberg as portrayed in the Facebook movie. I agree, keeping his around will be good for comic relief, and I tend to root for the nerdy types, as I am one!! I think the season could be good, although I'm really getting kind of bored with Survivor as a whole. I really wish they didn't see the need to bring back the same players over and over...the show is at it's best with a whole new cast.

We were discussing the things that get the first person each season voted off, and I came up with three:

1) Screw up in the first challenges (which is what happened last night)

2) Come on too strong and totally annoy the group

3) Get sick or appear to be weak.

An observation....I was surprised that the teams already had fishing equipment. I always thought that this was one of the first rewards to be played for.

Aren't they back in Borneo, the sight of the original Survivor? South Pacific is really vague as to location.

6. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I think they're setting this up so Ozzie can show off his skills. :)

7. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I loved how Cochrane and Papa Bear requested to be called certain nicknames. I keep wanting Cocharne to say "I AM McLovin"!

I won't miss poetry girl. She was nice to look at, but that's all. I loved how Ozzy said "I should have taught her to start a fire, as she was walking away sobbing towards RI.

Break-down lady will be next from Ozzy's tribe, unless McLovin screws up.

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I thought the first challenge was pretty cool. The one between Ozzie and Coach. Especially as the teams actually got into helping them out. It seemed neither of them knew quite what to do till they got help from their team.

9. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    When Ozzie was all moon-eyed over cleavage girl I was strongly reminded of how he was also smitten by Parvarti and how that cost him the game. I don't think he learned that lesson.

10. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I was amazed they were having so much trouble with the puzzle. That's the most basic, elementary school level puzzle there is! Once you get the pattern down, the only 'hard part' is knowing where to put the first piece in order to move your pile to a specific place (it's all based on if there's an odd or even number of pieces in the pile). If there's an even number of pieces, move the first piece to the place you don't want the pile to end up. If odd, do the opposite. Really hard :rolleyes:

11. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I never knew that. The turtle counted as a piece too, right?

12. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    especially after watching the recent planet of the apes movie where the monkeys could do it in 15 moves.

If I was the Hantz kid I would tell the others that I worshiped Russell hence the tattoos.

I was glad for the poet to leave, she deserved to go after that pitiful performance with the coconuts.

13. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Yep

14. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I liked how both of them immediately broke the rules and had to be chastised by Jeff

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought of that, but that could be a strike against him. They will automatically think he'll play Russell's game and get rid of him quickly.

16. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    so glad they can swim. We can have water challenges again that don't involve a pool.

Why couldn't they form a chain to get the coconuts to Ozzie and have him make all the shots? if she could not shoot, just get the ball!

I think Papa Bear will stick around. he seems to have a good social game.

17. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I dunno... he was pretty weak at the challenge. And aligning himself with the other older woman who had the breakdown wasn't very strategic.

And experience has shown us that the older people don't win Survivor. I can't think of a single older person that's won (except the woman from season 2 who was given first place by Ethan Colby).

(edit to fix spelling of "Colby" ;) )

18. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    You misspelled Colby.

19. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Seemed like this was geared a little bit to favor Ozzy. That first challenge with the pole/digging/puzzle. Especially the pole climb and digging (cuz as shown Oz is able to squeeze thru a smaller hole than Coach). Also with the fishing gear at camp. As far as I can recall that is the first time they ever had fishing stuff for them already.

I am not going to say the Survivor producers are rigging the game ala 'BigBrother' but this does seem a little iffy to me.

Dalton's Recap

Quick Q&A with Dalton and Jeff Probst

Jeff Probst video "tweets" <--- he has his own Tout page. (yeah i had to google to figure out what the hell that was too) It is like Twitter had a baby with YouTube.

20. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Thanks ;)