1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survivor: "So Smart They're Dumb" S37 E11 OAD 12-05-18

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brianric, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dec 5, 2018 #1 of 57
    brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    You knew Gabby was going to tribal with her snarky remarks to Christian, and then it was a certainty when she said "so sorry Allison". Angelina going to be in for a rude awakening when she tries to take credit for getting extra rice for everyone if she makes it to the final two or three.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 12:25 AM
  2. Dec 5, 2018 #2 of 57
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Dont really get why Davie voted Christian, unless it was to keep up the appearance of being with the others.

3. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I think that must be it. He did his thing by warning Christian. Still, I don't see how Davie is playing for anything better than a #2 finish.

4. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Christian had better work hard at getting immunity of some kind next week.

lalouque likes this.
  5. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Not according to the previews.

6. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Once again I can't stand the family visits with all the blubbering. It's been a month. Yeah it's hard I get it. And I haven't played survivor. But I have been separated for seven months at a time and I didn't lose my mind when I saw my husband again.(Yes I realize I am an odd minority.) Still.

It was a good ploy by Gabby but I'm glad Christian played the idol. I'm pretty sure he won't make it to the end but I'm still rooting for him.

worachj, LlamaLarry, VegasVic and 6 others like this.
  7. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Well, you had the Internet and civilization. And weren't being starved and competing in a highly stressful game.

kettledrum likes this.
  8. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Ok I get it when it's a spouse or child. But breaking down because you see a sibling or friend after what 3-4 weeks???

VegasVic likes this.
  9. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Dammit and Dammit! I wanted Christian gone and Gabby was my favorite from day one. Alas... The rest of the tribe are nuts if they don't work on getting Christian gone ASAP.

This ep had the only part of Survivor that I FF through every season, the "loved ones" reunions. The over-the-top histrionics are ridiculous and embarrassing. You'd think they'd been in prison for 20 years.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Funny, I said the exact same thing last night to my wife. I am convinced that Jeff tells both the Survivors and the "loved ones" to play it up for dramatic effect. It's a month (or is it EVEN a month at this point). I've been away from family longer than that. But yeah, I can see where seeing a friendly face might be comforting after living like that. But they act as if it's been 10 years since they've seen each other.

VegasVic likes this.
  11. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm with you, but my wife eats that stuff up.

12. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    It's easy to underestimate the impact of over 30 days of food deprivation and social imprisonment on the brain, the source of all emotions. Add on top of that the 24/7 kill or be killed mentality and it perhaps isn't so hard to understand.

Jeff may tell them to play it up, but that absolutely is not what we see here. None of them are that great of actors (with the exception of Mike White, who perhaps so not coincidentally had the least emotional reaction of them all).

13. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Ironically, I was annoyed they didn't even look like they cared that much. Which should have made me happy but more confused me. Not even a kiss? Maybe if the others weren't so over the top it wouldn't have stood out as much.

Steveknj likes this.
  14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I get that. And there's always people who wear their emotions on their sleeves (i.e. naturally emotional). It just sometimes feels very over the top, and I think Jeff promotes that sometimes.

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yeah, he was like "oh you came?" Like he was surprised he bothered.

VegasVic likes this.
  16. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    And he said "thank you for coming" which seemed really weird to me if that's your partner of 6 years.

17. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
  18. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I'm totally with you. Although I was happy about it last night because I didn't have time to watch the whole episode and this was a part I could FF through without a second thought!

So, you see, there is a silver lining to everything ;)

19. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Well now, let's dial it back a bit here. This isn't just a reply to you, but the others that have replied similarly.

If you want to talk histrionics, let's address this "I've been away longer than that, and it hasn't even been a month!" narrative. First of all, the damn show SAID "Day 31". There's no question here. And that's the time on the island, doesn't factor in any travel time, and days of lining up for press shots and whatnot. So yes, it has been a month. Secondly, everyone saying they've done longer and could have done twice that much without even thinking. Let's test that. Go spend that time eating just enough rice to keep starvation at bay, minus a cup or two. Spend it with people who are looking to stab you in the back. For that matter, just re-watch last night's show. Christian said it best, the problem is watching the loved one walk away again...when at this point they're each going to see their loved ones in a little over a week regardless of what happens.

The fact is, people are away from loved ones longer. Elephant in the room, members of the military. They're fed well, and have regular (if infrequent) contact with their loved ones. And yet when they return, there's tears aplenty.

20. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    To each their own, agreed.

But through three post-deployment homecomings, I didn’t cry once. Leaving on the other hand…

VegasVic, lalouque and Steveknj like this.