Survivor: Season 40 rumors & speculation thread *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Caution! This thread contains potential spoilers for Season 40. Discussion of all previous seasons is allowed as well.

Word on the street is that Season 40 will feature a cast comprised entirely of previous winners:

MEN

Adam Klein
    Wendell Holland
    Tony Vlachos
    Ethan Zohn
    Boston Rob
    Ben Driebergen(sp?)
    Jeremy Collins
    Nick Wilson (from David vs Goliath)
    Tyson Apostol
    Yul Kwon

WOMEN

Michelle Fitzgerald
    Amber Mariano (Boston Rob’s wife)
    Danni Boatwright
    Denise Stapley
    Parvati Shallow
    Kim Spradlin
    Natalie Anderson
    Sandra Diaz
    Sarah Lecina
    Sophie Clarke

If this list is legit, this should be a great season! There are some truly great players on that list. I'm particularly excited to see Yul and Kim play again.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    tivotvaddict and Donbadabon like this.
  2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Agreed that it looks like fun, some great names on that list. If you're going to bring back previous players, this is the way to do it!

3. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I was also pleased to see Yul on the list. I could be wrong but I believe he's one of the few players to ever win w/o any backstabbing or betrayals, which is a helluva feat in Survivor.

Wonder if Rob and Amber will be on the same tribe initially. Regardless, they'll be seen as a major power couple (or power-couple-to-be) which will put quite the target on their backs. Not that Rob won't have one already, of course.

The winner in an all-winner season will really have something to crow about. Wow.

4. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I will be shocked if one of them isn't one of the first people voted out. These players are too savvy to allow a repeat of All-Stars.

5. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Sandra really should be the first to go. She's already won....twice.

kettledrum likes this.
  6. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Amber and Boston Rob should be next.

kettledrum likes this.
  7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    If they film 40 about the same time of year as they filmed 38 last year, it means they're going to start filming any day now. Based on social media presence, we should be able to pretty easily confirm if many of these people suddenly drop off the face of the earth for several weeks.

8. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    No question this has the potential to be a great season, if for nothing else than two of the most beloved elements of the game once again being in play:

Parvati. Bikini.

'nuff said.

gweempose and heySkippy like this.
  9. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    Don't they film two seasons back-to-back? If that's the case, Rob and Sandra are going to be gone for quite a stretch given that they are the focus of Season 39 and then will have to turn around and do Season 40. Or was 39 filmed right after 38?

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, they film two seasons each year. They're not exactly back-to-back. In 2018, the filming of 37 ended on May 6 and the filming of 38 started on May 30 (but the contestants would have had to be there for several days prior to May 30). In 2017, the filming of 35 finished on May 11 and the filming of 36 started on June 5. According to Wikipedia, 39 finished filming a few weeks ago on April 28, and I know that Tyson Apostol was in town as recently as last Tuesday (due to the News AF podcast, still waiting to see if he's on the episode that's supposed to be recorded today). Therefore, Rob and Sandra would definitely have had a chance to go home for several weeks before coming back out for 40.

gweempose likes this.
  11. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    With Season 40 being an all winners season, the Edge of Extinction twist now makes sense. They brought back four very popular returnees and created a twist specifically designed to make it easier for them to win so they could bring them back for Season 40. :)

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Two straight seasons of Boston Rob and Sandra? Uggh. Not sure I'm up for that. Really, they should just forget next season's twist and just use all new players and then let them come back for S40. That said, it's about time. I've been saying they should do this for awhile.

Interesting that the first two winners are not on the list. No Cochran either, who's a Probst favorite.

VegasVic likes this.
  13. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I doubt CBS would have agreed to bring Hatch back after the bad publicity generated when he went to jail for not paying his taxes on his winnings. I'm not sure about Tina. I suspect there are many winners who were contacted and were not able to participate for one reason or another and maybe she's one of them.

14. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The list was released on the day that they left.

Hatch weren’t asked. Rumor has it that the incident on All-Stars with Hatch & Sue is part of the reason for Hatch although he was asked back once since then* (& after the tax evasion conviction), but the judge wouldn’t let him leave the country.

Vecepia (won Boston Rob’s original season) is another one that fans have asked for, but Jeff/CBS don’t see the value in bringing her back so she’s never been asked.

* It hasn’t aged well and looks particularly bad in the #metoo era and with the accusations against Les.

Edit: Per Instagram, Tina was asked & said yes, but she wasn’t needed.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    gweempose likes this.
  15. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Shane Amanda Kimmel isn't part of season 40. Seeing Amanda and Parvati together in bikinis made it an enjoyable season.

kettledrum likes this.
  16. Zephyr

Zephyr Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Why wouldn't all 20 be targets? They're all winners and therfore all to be feared. To the extent alliances play a part in this game, top 20 should be a text book case. All are well known based on past behavior. Perhaps that's the key, unpredictability!

17. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Yes, they are all winners but certainly some are more popular and well-known than others so one might reasonably assume they would be the biggest initial targets.

Or maybe Amber, BR, Parvati, Sandra and Tyson will form an unbeatable alliance on the first day!

18. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It seems like they don't give the contestants swim suits anymore, so I guess we'll just have to settle for Parvati running around in her undies. :)

Sadly, Amanda never won, so she wasn't eligible. I also recall reading that she vowed to never play again. I think she had some major issues with certain things that went down during Heroes vs. Villains.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    kettledrum likes this.
  19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    News AF tried to make it seem like Tyson was still in town. He must have recorded an intro before he left. But then the rest of the podcast they just used audio drops of him reacting to the stuff being said. So it seems that Tyson is definitely out there.

gweempose likes this.
  20. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm guessing there may be some animosity/jealousy towards the players that have played multiple times. Heck, this will be Rob's sixth time playing.

Another thing that will surely be a huge factor this season are the pre-existing relationships. Some of these people have known each other and been hanging out socially for years. It's almost a guaranteed fact that alliances were formed before the contestants even left for Fiji. The show generally tries to downplay these, but I seem to recall Rob accusing someone (Lex?) of having an alliance before the season began.