Survivor S36 Finalé & Reunion Show (spoilers duh) OAD 5-23-2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, May 24, 2018.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL

Advertisements

Wow! What a crazy final vote! During the entire final tribal I kept thinking to myself that both guys were completely deserving of the win, but I never imagined it would actually come down to a tie. Based on the reactions of some of the jurors, I falsely assumed Wendell was going to take it by a couple votes. Talk about a high pressure situation for Laurel to be in. I haven't watched the reunion yet, but I'm guessing the fact that Wendell protected her with his idol must have been a factor.

Since Dominick was in a position of power, he probably should have made a deal with Laurel that he would take her to the final three, but only if she promised she would vote for him in the case of a tie. She may not have kept her promise, but Laurel strikes me as the kind of person who probably would.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I really like the Tribal Council format they've gone to. Let's discuss out the aspects of your game, not just have each person rant about whatever butthurt them.

For me it was a close choice, but I would've picked Dom based on what they showed us in the season. I thought he controlled more of the game and made more critical decisions.

betts4 likes this.
  3. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah my daughter and I both thought Wendell would probably take it by a few votes. After they both made their cases we flipped to thinking Dom would pull it out by a few.

After the tie was announced with Laurel deciding it was obvious who the winner was. Great finale. It could have done without Kevin Hart's Wipeout.

LlamaLarry and lalouque like this.
  4. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Agree with what was posted about. When Wendall made the final TC, I know it would be close, but I thought Dom would end up taking it. There doesn't appear that he could have done anything different, if Angela made it to the final TC, Laurel would have been another vote for Wendall. It looks like the only shot Dom had was Angela beating Wendall in the fire challenge.

Agreed with @Donbadabon above. I like this Q&A format better. I always hated the "holier-than-thou" jurors that use their questions to preach. This format allows for great discussion. I also like that jurors are opening campaigning for their choices in many cases. I would love to see the whole final TC questioning.

The "reunion" show has just become an extension of the regular episode. It took them 30 minutes in to the reunion show to name a winner. Combine that with unnecessary filler (looking at you Kevin Hart), there was very little discussion. I miss that.

Question about next season "David vs. Goliath"?

I thought the seasons were usually filmed in the spring time, right after the spring season has finished. But, the upcoming season must already be in the can since they showed some of the contestants.

5. lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

I think either Dom or Wendell would be worthy winners. What bothers me is that Wendell appears to have won because Sea-bass was a bitter Betty.

Here's Dalton's recap: 'Survivor: Ghost Island' finale recap: And the winner is...

LlamaLarry likes this.
  6. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Yeah, the actual "reunion" part of the show was incredibly short. Did they even ask a single question to any of the jurors?

LlamaLarry likes this.
  7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was a good ending. As soon as Jeff said he was going to read the votes, I said to my wife...it's a tie. Otherwise, why change what they've been doing for years (yeah I know the first few seasons they did it at the final TC). Anyway, I thought it was close, and I would have voted for Dom, but I'm fine with Wendel winning. Dom was right, the only way he possibly could have won was to give his immunity necklace to Andrea, and go up against Wendel in the fire challenge.

As for the Reunion, why even bother calling it that any more. First of all, they intersperse Jeff in the audience all through the finale episode, then the TC goes almost halfway through the Reunion show, so you wind up with about 30 minutes of the reunion, in which they show about 3-5 minutes of the next season, and now they added about 10 minutes previewing Kevin Hart's show. Add in about 10 minutes worth of commercials and you wind up with very little actual Reunion. Just make the last episode 3 hours and be done with it. it's annoying to be in the middle of TC and the recording ends and you have to go to the reunion recording!!

As for next season:
    Read an interview with Burnett and Probst where they said the new season was finished and in a few days they are filming the season after that. Crazy that these folks have to wait almost a year to see who won.

pmyers likes this.
  8. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm a big Dom fan, but he definitely overplayed the drama at that tribal. His motivation for throwing those guys under the bus made perfect sense, but he could have done it in a way that wasn't quite as insulting. He tried to explain why he acted the way he did at the final tribal, but by that point the damage was already done. Ultimately, I think Dom's big personality is the reason he lost. I do believe he played a slightly better game overall than Wendell, but clearly some people on the jury perceived him as pompous.

9. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Best use of immunity idol ever.

Wendell giving it to Laurel won him the $1M.

Laurel is also the person I most enjoyed being the 3rd person at a tribal finale. I thought she was well-spoken and argued her case well even if in the end she didn't get any votes (even from Donathan).

betts4, Dargon, kettledrum and 3 others like this.
  10. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    A good end to a largely forgettable season. I was shocked when Jeff started to read the votes. Took me a moment to realize it must be a tie.

I really like the discussion format of the Tribal Council over the bitter juror Q&A.

I used to really like the discussion part of the reunion show. It's a shame they basically don't do that anymore.

11. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I agree what was said above, what a little baby Seabass was. He planned to take out Dom but was fooled by the fake idol so now he's butthurt.

Angela was a horrible player, someone comes to her for the first time with an actual plan to get someone out. What's the first thing she does, goes an tells the guy that the plan is against, to make it worse is that he's running the show. oy!!

LlamaLarry and VegasVic like this.
  12. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Dalton's brought up the same point I made about Dom making a deal with Laurel in case of a tie. I wonder why Dom didn't think of that.

Another thing Dalton mentioned was how nobody asked Jeff if Dom's fake idol was real. I wonder if Jeff would be required to tell them, or if he would simply say something like, "I'm not allowed to reveal that until after the votes have been cast and the idol has been officially played."

13. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    One skill Dom certainly has in spades is the ability to tell when someone was lying or trying to pull something over on him.

Interesting note that the first five people voted off voted for Dom while the last five voted for Wendell. Wendell's game was more dominant (idols, winning immunity challenges, playing things at tribal) at the end.

14. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Dom could potentially have won Angela over if he had brought her to the final 3 instead of Laurel. Laurel still votes for Wendell on the jury. Angela, however, could very well have voted for Dom in a tiebreaker if he brings her to the final 3. If he makes some sort of agreement .... "if I bring you you have to promise me you'll vote for me in a tie" .... it is more likely Angela would be swayed by that than Laurel would have been.

15. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Probably because in 30+ seasons there hasn't been a tie. I doubt anyone knew how a tie would be broken.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  16. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    They did. Jeff Probst announced it. Dalton Ross points out "this cast saw the Game Changers reunion tiebreaker announcement before they left for Fiji, so they knew the rules."

17. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    I didn't get the impression that sea bass voted for wendell because he was butt hurt. I got the impression that he would have voted for wendell no matter what.

kettledrum likes this.
  18. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I enjoyed this season and I am cool with Wendell winning.

However, as much as I know the show has to evolve, I would love to see a back to basics season with no Idols/Advantages.

19. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Good finale, I'm glad it ran long, the reunion show should never go over 30 minutes. I remember when Probst made a point of talking to each and every player, what a waste. Now they ask a few questions of the final 3 (and Michael in this case) and that's it. Kevin Hart was funny 5 years ago. I will never watch that new show of his. It seems as if most of Wendell's votes came from players who were butt hurt and most of Dom's votes came from people who thought he was the better player. Sea bass admitted he didn't have a strategy, admitted that Dom was a great ACTOR and then got pissed off because he was duped by it. Sounds like butt hurt to me.

Glad next season is all new players again.

20. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    One of the most aggravating seasons to watch. Gee, D&W made it to the final and the vote was between them. Whoda thunk it? Oh yeah, everybody. Because for at least the last 6 eps they've utterly dominated gameplay while none of the other players had the sense to make a move against them, even though there were definite opportunities, including this ep. (Angela, you're an idiot.)

Based just on the previews of next season, I already despise at least two of the players. "I'm something special." Oh, my.