Survivor Redemption Island OAD 2/23/2011 "You Own My Vote"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

I'm amazed at how strong this season has started, fun factor wise. Much as I was not in favor of Rob & Russel returning, it is working.

Anyway, great blindside and for pretty good reasons. Loving it!

As I guessed, the first challenge at Redemption Island will be next week. I think it'll start the episode and with tribal will be the bookends for each week for the next 5 or 6 weeks. I'm wondering if the tribes will get to witness.

2. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    I think Phillip is unstable, and that might cause some serious problems. He's going to blow at some point.

3. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I doubt very much that the tribes will witness this. I think part of the interest in the whole concept of redemption island is that you won't know who your competition will be there, and the remaining castaways will not know who will be coming back. I think it loses something if everybody knows what's happening there.

4. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I'm liking this season so far. I don't know if it was wise to confront Russell like they did. Just know who he is and what he is and act accordingly. Let sleeping dogs lie...especially when they are mean and vindictive when riled up.

I understand why Rob took out Matt. It will be interesting to see him try to explain it to Andrea without coming off like a d!@k.

And Redemption Island showdown number 1 next week. Woo hoo.

5. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

Over on the other tribe, the hillbilly had me cracking up! Found the dang idol by accident, but spotted Russel pocketing the clue and then confronting him about it.

I think Russel is in trouble when they lose their first immunity.

6. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Rob handled him very well. I was very impressed with the idea of NOT telling Philip anything until the shoulder touch. That was pretty funny.

7. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    My wife thinks Phillip is putting on. It's possible, but I think he's just that oblivious.

8. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I certainly don't think getting rid of a strong dude this early is tribe smart. The kid's just nice and being a good sport. I realize it could go a long way when the tribes merge, but that's so far away that it doesn't matter so much right now.

Rob's team is already down in numbers. They're not as physically strong of a team. Not that they can't recover, but what if the sweet kid that was a good sport wins on redemption and rejoins after the merge? The kid is going to be more welcome on the other tribe and if they still have the votes, Rob and his are doomed.

Really don't think that was a good move and it will haunt them. Why not take him aside and tell him that you really don't like the way he's buddying up to the other team and trying to be well liked by them and leave it at that?

9. InterMurph

InterMurph Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    There is no way Phillip is putting us on. He's Coach 2.0; a little older, but just as socially inept and self-aggrandizing as Coach.

I ended up with a big soft spot for Coach. I'm not seeing that happen with Phillip.

And I love how Rob handled him; taking him into his inner circle, flattering him, etc. Rob knows he can use him as long as he needs him, then discard him. And Phillip isn't ever going to lead a mutiny against Rob.

10. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Agree with that.

I cannot stand the guy. Hopefully he does not make it to jury.

I really want Fran to come back. I love her one on one interviews cuz she is hilarious.

11. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Love how Rob pretends to kiss Phillip's ass.

12. Hexerott

Hexerott New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    The most hysterical moment in the show is when Francesca was sitting there on Redemption Island praying for flint to start a fire. Hey lady, you're holding a lantern that has a flame in it!!! I hope you don't die cold... lol.

As far as Phillip goes, he's nuttier than squirrel poop. The man is delusional!

13. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    "You all performed gallanty-ry-ly."

:)

14. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    I suspect that Phillip was chosen because he was like Coach, but I have a feeling Phillip has some real problems. If someone challenges his fantasy (and I'll be very surprised if he was a Fed), I fear violence, or at least some serious psychological damage to Phillip.

What I found funny is that Phillip was proud to wear the uniform. A Brooks Brother's suit is a uniform? What does an FBI or CIA uniform look like?

15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Why would he do that? It's causing people to want to get rid of him...
    Where's the upside?

16. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    "That was simple as...wiping your hiney with toilet paper".

:D

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    More and more I get the feeling that he was a TSA Agent or something along that line. Unless he had some serious psychological break or something, I just can't see any way where he was a federal agent in any of the FBI, CIA alphabet agencies. Certainly not a field agent - maybe a filing clerk or something.

18. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Wow.. I think you may right. I have talked to some TSA in personal settings and they really believe they have responded to a higher calling. The ones I spoke to considered themselves highly trained to find the enemies of freedom.

19. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    "Gallantrently"

Phillip's quote of the week. :D

20. tcristy

tcristy Member

Feb 11, 2005
    From the interviews, Philip had been in the military. Thats the uniform he was talking about.

Also, there are lower-tier federal agent jobs that dont require a lot of skill or training and Philip apparently had one of those. He said he did background check interviews for the DoD. When someone applies for a security clearance, someone has to go interview their friends/relatives/coworkers to verify the info on the application is accurate and they are not omitting financial or relationship problems that might make them a target for espionage. I think the only reason they let those people carry badges is so the interviewees take it more seriously than they would a census taker. His military service was probably the only qualification needed for that job.

And yes, he has a vastly overinflated sense of self-worth. I think he's not that bright and doesnt get that he was the meter maid of federal law enforcement.