Survivor Panama:Exile Island

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by rrrobinsonjr, Jan 21, 2006.

1. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    I added it last night...I can't wait.

2. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    Thanks for the heads up. My guide data is only about half way filled in on 2/2 so I'll have to look again in a couple days.

Survivor, Idol, Olympics... ah, a good month for TV.

3. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Any idea if it's in High Def?

-Kevin

4. HookedOnTivo

HookedOnTivo This is my title

Feb 14, 2002
    Houston, TX

I doubt it ever will be in hi-def. HD cameras are very very very expensive. CBS is not going to risk those getting damaged in the jungle. It won't be HD until the pricetag on those cameras comes way down.

5. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I'd be surprised if the cost of the cameras was the only reason, or even the main reason. There are only a few shows remaining on network prime-time TV that aren't in HD, and I'd think Survivor would have plenty of money in their budget since they save so much money on their cast. Granted, they do seem to use more cameras than scripted shows (maybe?) and/or they have a higher profit margin and don't want to give that up, so it could be part of it. The Apprentice still isn't in HD either, right? And they don't have the jungle issue. I think another big reason might be that without makeup, showers, razors and other personal grooming items, we wouldn't want to see those people in HD, especially after a month without that stuff.

In any case, if they ever do switch to HD, I think they'd hype it in the promos.

6. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I can't wait to see how the Exile Island twist works. Are you sent to exile instead of being voted off? Prior to being voted off? Do they vote for two in tribal council, one out and one exiled?

Hopefully it is not a let down.

7. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    If your team loses the reward challenge, they have to select a tribe member to go to 'Exile Island'.

That is rich with new possibilities!

8. coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Should be a good twist this season-looking forward to it.

9. Feb 9, 2006 #9 of 10
    JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    I doubt the lack of HD has anything at all to do with camera prices. I think it has everything to do with the sheer quantity of footage that need to be edited down to what is shown. The costs of storing and editing the HD content would pe prohibitive. Of course, the sheer number of cameras needed would also be a driver, but the time, effort, and storage of mass piles of footage is why we've yet to see reality TV really break thru with HD.

10. flutieman07

flutieman07 flutieman07

Feb 12, 2006
    Oklahoma

I'm waiting for the first time they bust it out at Tribal council after the votes are read....people will be going crazy!