Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X - Premiere OAD 9/21/2016

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Sep 22, 2016.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm glad Survivor is back!

The Millennials v Gen X concept is a bit weak, but the cast for both tribes seems to be fairly solid. As always, it'll be a couple weeks (at least) before I really get a handle on the names and personalities. Still, I'm hopeful for a fun season.

The evacuation seemed a bit overblown until the tree came down on the shelter. I wonder if the island they're staying on is the same one seen in the overhead shots at the very beginning. It looked like just a tiny spit of rock in the middle of the ocean.

Dalton has a Q&A with Jeff where he asks about the evac and what was done with the contestants for the duration. He also answers a couple questions about the twist and how it's passed along if the holder is voted out.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/22/survivor-jeff-probst-premiere-millennials-gen-x-cyclone

Dalton's blog - http://www.ew.com/recap/survivor-millennials-gen-x-season-33-premiere

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I'm glad it's back too.

I'm kinda surprised and impressed that they were able to get that shot of the shelter falling over. It looked really scary out there.

I kinda hate the premise though. They've done young vs old before and it was a really boring season. I hope this can be salvaged.

I did like the idea behind the choices in the challenge.

Really sucks for the person who has a bacterial infection in their eyes due to sand. I hope she heals soon and it doesn't cause her to go out.

3. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I am gonna called David (from Gen X), Twitchy from here on out. He makes me nervous just watching him.

4. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    It was funny that he was scared of absolutely everything, but he was pretty funny and accepting about it. Surprised they got him to put that stick bug on his arm.

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT

Advertisements

From Dalton Ross' Q&A with Probst:

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Thanks for that. I was actually wondering how they got that shot, if they conscripted some brave cameraman to remain on the beach or if they set up an unmanned camera. I could have sworn it looked like the camera was panning during the shot of the tree falling, so that's why I thought there must have been a cameraman, but I'll have to go back and watch it again.

I'm glad they voted out Rachel instead of Dave. She just seemed very annoying, while he seems weak but nice and sincere. I hope he sticks around for a while and learns to be more comfortable with his surroundings.

The "cool kids" on the Millenials tribe sure seem like they have no clue how to play the game. There are 10 people on your tribe, so you can't have the numbers if there are only 3 or 4 of you. Hopefully the rest of the tribe doesn't allow them to get away with that.

7. InterMurph

InterMurph Member

May 22, 2003
    Gloucester, MA
    This might be the magic of 4K video. The GoPro can record a 3,840 x 2,160 image. The editor can later select which portion of this image to include in the 1,920 x 1,080 broadcast.

In its simplest form, this can be "just use the middle portion of the image in a static shot". But it could also mean "start on the left side of the screen, then slide over a few pixels on each subsequent frame." This will look like a slow pan from left to right.

8. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I wondered about that, but didn't realize they had GoPro models that capture 4K, so I figured if they had an HD image from a GoPro and "panned" digitally within the frame, the quality of that shot would be reduced. Your explanation of a 4K source makes more sense.

9. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I like the premise if the Millennials get beat. They need to get off my lawn. :p

10. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I was happy to see a Millennial describe himself as an old man (Zeke, guy with the busy flower shirts). I feel the same way, though as a Gen Xer I'm a few years closer to 80 than he is.

11. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    FYI, in Dalton's Q&A with Probst linked in the OP there is a spoiler about next weeks episode. Personally I don't watch previews so I didn't know that was going to happen next week.

12. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    That Dave guy is soooo skinny. If he lasts a while he'll waste away to nothing. He did seem nice, and looking for an idol on day one is hardly unusual. Someone or 2 or 3 always do.

13. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I liked the different choices that the teams were forced to make in this episode. First, the choices of hammer/pots and pans, and chickens/fishing gear. I think the Gen Xers made the right choices of pots and pans and fishing gear. I got the sense that the Millenials chose the chickens simply because the time was running out and there was no knot to untie to retrieve the chickens, whereas the fishing gear would have taken longer to untie. I also thought it was hilarious that all the Millenials were gathered around one thing watching someone do something, when the rest of them should have been gathering more stuff.

As for the choices during the Immunity Challenge, that was brilliant. We'll never know if the Gen Xers made the wrong choice, or if they just had the wrong people doing the puzzle. It's possible that Dave/Rachel would have had the same poor showing with the 50-piece or 60-piece puzzle. But maybe if they had designated different people to do the puzzle from the start, the 70-piece puzzle could have been finished very quickly.

I'm interested to see what happens with the Legacy Advantage. If the same person is able to keep it the entire time without anyone else knowing, that would ultimately be kind of boring. But if it gets passed through multiple people as they get voted out, then that could make things very interesting.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The problem with the "Legacy Advantage" is that if it's too powerful an advantage, then it skews the game in a really bad way. And if it's too weak, then we'll be left wondering what the big deal was...

15. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

I agree. I wish Jeff hadn't interfered and brought that to their attention. I would've loved to have seen how long they would've actually stayed there as a group.

16. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Well, since no one knows what the Legacy Advantage is until the end of the game, it almost doesn't matter what it really is. It's really more of a mind game. But I'm sure it'll be something worthwhile after all that time.

Happy to see Survivor back! Although young vs. old isn't that exciting at least it's not egregious. However, I think challenges are going to be a big problem for the Gen Xers. The Millenials are younger and faster and just as smart. They may have issues with organization and game play (beach party rather than shelter building?!?! You've got 39 days on the beach there, folks...) but that won't hurt them much in challenges.

17. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the advantage will be the power to boot a jury member of their choice.

18. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Wasn't that an advantage last year? Seems strange that they'd repeat, especially when making such a big deal of this advantage

19. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    It was. I think they might repeat because it didn't suck as much as new twists sometimes do.

20. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    What's really interesting is that this Legacy Advantage is really meant to be kept secret. If you tell anyone, they have a good reason to vote you out in hopes of getting the advantage for themselves.