Survivor: Kaôh Rng "I'm Not Here To Make Good Friends" OAD 4-20-2016

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Apr 20, 2016.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    HA!

That was entertaining and I didn't see Tai doing that ahead of time. I say good for him. He pissed off Jason & Scot and maybe Julia, but he's still got his idol (the only one now) and his extra vote. I'd say he's in a pretty good spot.

I would have rather seen Jason go, but breaking up those two was big.

From the previews.
    Scot sure took it better than I thought he might.

2. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Yes, yes, yes. One of the best blindsides ever.

3. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The look on Scot's face as he and Jason exchanged glances, and it became increasingly clear that Tai wouldn't be doing anything. Phenomenal.

That said, CBS was spoiling that there would be a massive blindside in its promos all week. :thumbsdown: Still, this was immensely satisfying.

4. stalemate

stalemate McGruber

Aug 21, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    I had been complaining to a coworker that the super idol is over powered. What I didn't realize until about halfway through tonight's episode is that the promise of the super idol could make someone skip a chance to play a regular hidden immunity idol when they had a chance. Nicely done by Tai.

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Wow, I didn't watch any CBS promos so I didn't see that coming. I think it was a bad move by Tai. He now puts a huge target on his back and I'll be surprised if he makes it to the end, whereas if he had stuck with Jason and Scot, they would have been the targets and he would have made it much further before he had to scramble.

I wonder if Jason could have kept possession of his idol and then chosen to play it for Scot when the time came. If so, then that was monumentally stupid of him to give it to Scot, because now it's gone and he didn't even get to benefit from it. In fact, the safest thing would have been for Jason to hold both idols so there's no chance of someone getting voted out with one in their pocket, and it would have eliminated the possibility of a last-second betrayal like that.

6. vman

vman Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Loved it as well, but not sure it was Tai's best move. Of course, I'm not sure why Scott and Jason were so cocky - even if Tai hadn't flipped and he used the Super Idol, sending Aubrey home, that would have meant they lost both idols and were still down 4-3 going into next week. They must have been very sure of Julia flipping to them, or have known about Tai's extra vote...

7. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  8. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    So so happy.

The only thing that would've made it better is if Tai had stood up and reached out to Scot for the idol, Scot gives it to him, and then Tai sits back down.

That would've left Tai with the Super Idol, and with that extra vote he won.

9. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    It was a great move by Tai and you explained some of the reason. Also no one would have wanted to take Tai to the end and now he is someone you might take a chance with.

10. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    So glad to see Scot leave. The look on his and Jason's face when Tai wouldn't hand over the idol was priceless. I don't think I have despised two Survivors as much as Jason and Scot. I always disliked Russell Hanz and, most especially, how he played the game. But, at least I always felt that Russell was just playing the game. Despite their comments at TC, IMHO, Jason and Scot were just being bullies.

This did answer one of the questions I had about the Super Idol. I wasn't sure if the person using it (after reading the votes) had to have both sides of the idol or if someone could give another the 2nd half of the idol after the votes are read. Based on tonight's vote, it looks like Tai was supposed to give Scot the 2nd half of the idol to play.

I already didn't like the concept of the Super Idol, but this made it worse. If they person using the idol HAD to have both halves before the vote, then there would be at least some strategy by the alliance on who would possess the idol. But, the way it is shown, if two people in an alliance each have a half, then pretty much ANYONE in that alliance is safe from a vote. That makes is almost impossible to get rid of the idol. Even if you try and flush the idols, someone on your own alliance is going to still leave.

11. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    I think it was a great move from a viewer's perspective. However, this becomes perhaps an issue of trust now. Even with the HII and the vote, it could be very tough for him.

Let's not forget that these days, the extra vote is the current version of the car curse.

But, though Tai would likely win if he goes to the Final 3 with Scot and Jason, I think there was enough doubt in his mind that he could be a target. And if the SI is played, he then has no HII to himself. Though of a different nature, play the SI and losing the HII is a tangential version of leaving with a HII in your pocket.

I am also thinking that he feels he can "work" the girls and Joe better than he can Scot and Jason. For all we know, Scot and Jason could have smartened up and said, boy, we take Tai and he wins, let's take Joe instead.

12. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    But if you play the SuperIdol you have to burn two idols at once. So that evens it out at least a bit.

13. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    With Jason winning immunity, there was little reason not to play the hidden idols individually before the votes were read. Yes, a repeat of last week with the girls voting out one of their own could have happened again and the guys could have held onto their idols, but they had to know that wasn't likely based on the info from Julia.

14. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    In fact Scot and Jason had already said something just like that to Julia, so they were clearly aware that they would need to do something about Tai before the final three. I don't know if it was smart or not. It leaves Tai with the only HII and an extra vote, but a big target on his back and no clear alliance; obviously he's hoping to move to Aubrey's group. The alternative would have been a strong minority alliance with a "floater" (Julia) to make a majority, plus an extra vote but no HII at all.

So is it true that the others don't know the power of the super idol yet? It didn't seem like Julia, at least, knew when she was urging Tai to play his idol.

I do agree with DevdogAZ that giving both idols to Jason would have been the very smartest play.

15. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I thought it was dumb of them to rely on the Super Idol, they knew they were voting to flush an idol so why not just use both idols before he reads the vote. I guess after last week and not having to use them they got cocky.

16. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Oh Happy Day!

That wasn't just a blindside, that was a public humiliation. Big Bad Scot, so arrogant, thinking himself ****-of-the-walk, preening and bragging about how he was totally safe and in complete control of the game and calling the shots and then... bang! So long, sucker!

He has to be one of the most contemptible players ever. What a fitting exit.

Now excuse me, I think I'll go watch that vote count a few more times...

17. dhelsley

dhelsley Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I wasn't sure if he had it in him to do it, but I saw it as a remote possibility and was so happy when that moment came. Whether or not it was his best move is up for debate, but it was sure fun to watch.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This saved the season for me. I always love it when bullies get their come-uppance. Luckily I didn't see any of the previews, so it was a surprise.

I wonder if Tai saw Julia as a threat to him being in the final three. The two guys could have easily taken Julia instead of him since she would have been easily beaten. And since he still has his idol, he's going to be harder to vote out now.

19. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    My sister accidentally tipped me off. I start watching Survivor 20 minutes into the show, so with 9 minutes of the show left to watch I get a text message from sister dear "Are you watching Survivor?" :mad:

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That wouldn't have worked. The idol Scot had was dead the second Jeff said he was voted out (unless it was combined with a second one). Plus, why would Scot give the idol to Tai? Scot was needing to play it, not relying on Tai to play it.

But you're missing the trust/strategy issue that happened here, that the Super Idol is only effective if the players who hold the idols can fully trust each other. Without the potential of the Super Idol, Scot just plays the idol before the votes are read and Aubry goes home. But the potential of the Super Idol brings an extra layer of strategy and risk, and Scot took that risk and it didn't pay off because Tai wasn't trustworthy. So in theory the Super Idol can save anyone in an alliance regardless of who is holding the pieces, but in reality, that requires self-interested players to give up their idol to help someone else, and that rarely happens.