Survivor: Island of the Idols (Season 39) OAD 11/6/19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Nov 7, 2019 #1 of 33
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Wow, that was kind of a risky plan Kellee came up with, but she executed it perfectly. She now has an ally in Dean that will most likely have her back for the rest of the game.

Good for Janet! She's the first person we've seen that was smart enough to turn down a bad deal from Rob and Sandra. I was kind of surprised that they didn't try to sweeten the pot, though.

Dalton's recap:
    'Survivor: Island of the Idols' recap: Social politics or strategy?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    7thton likes this.
  2. Nov 7, 2019 #2 of 33
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    What's with all the crying this season? They cry at tribal, they cry after tribal, they cry when they have to go to Island of the Idols, they cry when they're on Island of the Idols. Sheesh. I can't imagine what it's going to be like during the family visit...

Wish it would have been Jamal tonight, he's way too arrogant for my taste. Still really liking Kellee, still hating Noura.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  3. Nov 7, 2019 #3 of 33
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I may have missed something, but why did Noura vote for Jack? When he got two votes, my first thought was "Why did Kellee vote for him as well? That could blow up her plan." But when the votes were shown during the credits, it was Noura. Was she in the on the plan, and I missed it? Or was she just on her own and out of the loop?

It just occurred to me that the Rob and Sandra's tutorial this week was "risk versus reward", yet Kellee took a huge risk to save Dean. We will now see if this turns in to a reward.

4. Nov 7, 2019 #4 of 33
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Early in the episode Jamal said something in confessional about how safe he thought he was and we were certain then that he was doomed at the next TC. I wonder why they went for Jack instead of him? Giving his idol to Noura was bonkers. Why would anyone want to get rid of her at this point?

Kellee really did sell it at TC. Great shocked look on her face and she voted with the rest of the block. That was gutsy.

Janet flashing her tribe from the boat on the return was the best laugh in Survivor in a long, long time. That woman must be related to my wife. :D

LlamaLarry, kettledrum and lalouque like this.
  5. Nov 7, 2019 #5 of 33
    realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Kellee did say that she was going to convince Noura to vote either Jamal or Jack to protect herself (by telling Noura it was for backup in case Dean has an idol), but we didn’t see the conversation. Presumably, it gave away that the target was Jack and not Jamal.

7thton and gweempose like this.
  6. Nov 7, 2019 #6 of 33
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    As long as Dean doesn't blab to someone that Kellee gave him the idol, this should work out really well for her. The trust will have been established, and if Dean does go out before Kellee, he'll be a good voice for her to have on the jury. Of course if he does tell someone, she'll be in some hot water.

7thton, tivotvaddict and gweempose like this.
  7. Nov 7, 2019 #7 of 33
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I think it will work out well for Kellee. It has been foreshadowed by the producers with the clip of a past season on Island of the Idols. Chris Underwood on Edge of Extinction gave up his immunity during the final four, to compete and win the fire making competition. He won the season. Not the same situation, but the producers showed a clip of a huge risk paying off. Or maybe they are trying to make us think that.

RIP Rudy Boesch, Jan 20, 1928 - Nov 1, 2019. 45-year veteran and Navy SEAL.

gweempose and DevdogAZ like this.
  8. Nov 7, 2019 #8 of 33
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    This makes more sense. I thought she was going to tell Noura the entire plot to get her to vote for her target. Of course, as they pointed out at Tribal, telling Noura anything is like publishing it. But she must have kept this quiet.

9. Nov 7, 2019 #9 of 33
    Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I thought Jack was the target from the beginning.

10. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Brr. It's Chile here

Feb 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I was surprised when Jamal played his idol for Noura. Then I remembered they had told Dean they were all voting Noura. Jamal figures that Noura would get the lone vote that would count. By playing his idol for her, there would be no votes that counted and the tribe would have to revote. At that time, they could have voted out Karishma who was the other remaining member of the opposing tribe.

11. ThePhoenix

Feb 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    And for the conspiracy theorists, last night was more evidence that the show is not scripted. It would have been so much better if Dean and Noura had voted for Jamal!

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Not necessarily. Kellee must have told Noura to vote Jack just in case Dean had an idol. When they get back to camp, people are going to start asking who was the second vote for Jack and it's going to quickly come out that it was Noura. Then they'll want to know why she was targeting Jack instead of Dean or Karishma and Noura won't be able to keep her mouth shut that Kellee gave her the idea. I think it's a better than 50/50 shot that this whole play blows up on Kellee because she tried to use Noura as a pawn.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rob did try to sweeten the pot but she still turned it down, so in editing they just decided to cut that part out because it didn't add anything. Janet was smart to evaluate that "advantage" the way she did, because that would definitely put a target on her back if she just up and left Tribal Council before the votes were cast. That's never happened before and that would really get everyone else talking.

An observation from the Know-It-Alls podcast: they didn't show the usual, "Lairo getting their first look at the new Vokai tribe. Jason voted out at the last Tribal Council" with the obligatory surprised reactions. That could mean that there was actually a reward challenge played during this episode but it was not shown because it added nothing to the game.

kettledrum and 7thton like this.
  13. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Just because she didn't think she'd need to use it doesn't mean she shouldn't have tried to get the advantage. Then she could have decided if she needed it in the moment. She wouldn't have to play it, but she'd have it if she felt things were turning against her.

As it turns out, her vote was cancelled out anyways. She would have had a chance that she'd end up with an advantage she could use or maybe even give away as a bargaining chip.

If she continues to play low, she won't get credit for anything in order to win.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Boston Rob seemed to think she made the right decision. I'm guessing the "risk vs. reward" was set up specifically to present an "advantage" that wasn't really much of an advantage and the potential risk of losing her vote just wasn't worth the mediocre reward.

15. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Essex...
    I am surprised noone has tried to negotiate with Rob and Sandra yet. Hell, I'd at least give it a whirl.....

RIP Rudy

16. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    At least it was effectively immunity, unlike Noura's block-a-vote which wouldn't have done much.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Kellee did. She hesitated on it and Rob sweetened the pot. He reduced the number of questions she had to get right and extended the number of Tribal Councils at which the II would be valid.

18. ThePhoenix

Feb 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Did they ever get around to saying what Janet would have to do to earn the advantage? Maybe I wasn’t watching closely enough but it sounded like they only talked about what the reward would be and what the penalty for losing would be, but nothing about the actual challenge.

19. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah... they didn't say anything about the challenge itself... Rob picked up what looked like three colored objects (they were small enough to fit in the palm of his hand) and it looked like those objects might play a role in the challenge, but we'll never know for sure...

20. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I got the feeling it was a game of chance of some sort. I think she made the right decision.