Survivor: Island of the Idols (Season 39) OAD 11/13/19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Nov 14, 2019.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Well that was definitely unlike anything we've ever seen on the show. I'm not even sure where to begin, so I guess I'll just start with the first hour:

Kellee messed up big time! I can understand being hesitant to play the idol if she only had one of them, but she had TWO of them! You never know what's going to happen after the merge as people scramble to find their place in the new tribe. Because of this, it's the most dangerous and unpredictable point in the game. Whether she thought she was safe or not, she should have played the idol anyway just as a safety net until she could officially see how things shook out after the vote.

I was also kind of surprised that Dean didn't didn't give her a heads up that the vote was coming her way. It pretty much completely negated her big move from the previous episode.

The second hour I'm still trying to process. My gut reaction is that I feel horrible for Janet, kind of bad for Dan, and extremely disappointed in the girls who used the situation as a strategic weapon. That being said, I'm sure the lines between the game and reality become very blurred out there. We're talking about a game where lying and backstabbing are the norm, so it's easy to understand why they may have failed to grasp the bigger picture at the time.

What sucks is that both Missy and Elizabeth were players that I was rooting for this season. After this whole debacle, that is obviously no longer the case.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    hummingbird_206 and Donbadabon like this.
  2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    That was a mostly unpleasant 2 hours.

If it was up to me, Missy and Elizabeth would be ejected from the game.

3. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    ...but not Dan?

4. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    One thing that confused me was the intervention by the producers. The text they put up indicated that the intervention had taken place and that they had talked to everyone, including Dan individually. If this is the case, why did it seem like Dan was still so shocked by the allegations later in the episode? It was as if he was hearing them for the first time.

LlamaLarry, stellie93 and Family like this.
  5. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Based on what I saw, no.

6. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    What a horrible episode/season.

Once loved Survivor but after 38.5 seasons my wife and I have finally canceled our Season Pass and are not coming back.

TampaThunder likes this.
  7. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I guess I may have gotten the wrong impression... All this time, even on earlier episodes, I thought all the women (okay, well, many of the women) were feeling awkward and uncomfortable with Dan... And at the beginning of this episode, I thought that this was just a continuation of all that discussion about the awkwardness...

But now, am I getting this right... Kellee was the only one feeling awkward, and everyone else was just agreeing with her as game play? And Janet over heard Kellee's real concerns, as well as the other women's fake concerns and acted on her conscious to support the women?

8. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I think they might’ve had some genuine feelings on being uncomfortable, but they also saw an opportunity to take advantage of it.

Edit: I don’t feel bad for Dan. While some of the women exaggerated their feelings about his touching, the touching was still happening, and he still seemed clueless at the 2nd tribal despite being told by Kellee that it made her uncomfortable and receiving a formal warning from production.

9. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Missy, Elizabeth and Dan sure look like scumbags last night, Dan was creepy AF, I’m sure that was pretty uncomfortable for him to watch his denials after they showed him being creepy. Should be an interesting reunion show, I’m willing to bet that Dan gives a crying apology.

10. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Not a fun episode to watch. Sorry to see Kellee go in the first hour. The second hour was painful to watch.

stellie93 likes this.
  11. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I was trying to imagine what the various watch/viewing parties were like for these Survivor friends and family, and how uncomfortable Dan must be have been...

gweempose likes this.
  12. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Dan acted like a complete idiot at the second tribal. I can't deny that, and yet I still feel kind of bad for him. By that point, things had become so muddled that he was clearly confused by the allegations against him. Missy and Elizabeth were telling him information that directly conflicted with what Kellee and Janet were telling him. I'm not trying to defend his behavior, but the guy is obviously very dense and completely unaware of how his actions affect the women around him. Like I said before, the one thing that doesn't make any sense to me is how he reacted to the allegations after the warning from the producers. This leads me to believe that they were either very vague, or he is simply a moron.

13. realityboy

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I don’t know if Kellee got a chance to talk to him at all. Or if she got to talk to Janet. Dan & Janet may have thought she was lying at that point as well. Having to sit there silently as the situation was discussed had to suck.

kettledrum and gweempose like this.
  14. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I thought the dangling note was unfair... The learning that nothing is given to you... Really? You are going to dangle a note in the middle of the jungle and expect that someone might be "smart" enough not to grab it? There must have been a better way to "teach" the "if it's too good to be true" lesson...

15. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    That was really hard to watch. The whole discussion was centered around her and yet she wasn't allowed to give her side of the story.
    Yeah, that "lesson" was ridiculous and completely unfair. Not only did they arbitrarily take away Jamal's vote, but they also didn't appear to give him any choice about giving the fake advantage to someone. The whole thing was totally lame.

I was bummed to see Jamal go. I haven't always been his biggest fan this season, but the last couple of episodes he has proven to be a decent human being with a strong moral fiber.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  16. realityboy

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Jamal’s lesson was bad, and it contradicted the other lessons on taking chances.

17. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    At the very least, Rob and Sandra should have offered him his vote back if he chose to accept the sabotage mission.

lalouque and realityboy like this.
  18. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I was surprised he immediately took the parchment, after losing his vote for grabbing the hanging note shouldn’t he at least been a little hesitant to take an unknown thing.

kettledrum likes this.
  19. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    We can only go by what we saw in the edit, but it didn't appear to be optional.

20. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I agree with all of this except I don't feel any kind of bad for Dan.

I think the producers blew it big time. Dan should have been removed from the game as soon as he started touching Kellee again. They knew that she had already talked to Dan once about him touching her. They monitor the players 24 hours a day. They had to see him start it (touching Kellee) again after he had already been asked to stop it. Kellee was worried about 'blowing up her game'. She shouldn't have had to worry about that. Just like IRL women often don't press the issue because they are afraid of losing their jobs.

I have no respect at all for Missy and Elizabeth and how they took advantage of the situation. I don't think they should be removed, but I'm sure not rooting for either one of them after this. I expect that they will suffer IRL for how they handled themselves. Yes, it's a game, and their behavior wasn't against the game rules. But I think it shows a lack of morals and character that go beyond game play.

Cabinwood, jr461, stellie93 and 6 others like this.