Survivor: Island of the Idols - OAD 10-30-2019

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Oct 31, 2019.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, that was a fun episode. I was very happy that Aaron didn't flip and kept Elaine in the game. He would have been nuts to do so, but I still wondered until the last vote was read.

I like it when the idol/advantage is hidden at the challenge. Also nice that it wasn't yet another immunity idol. Given the 4-4 split of the tribe, the block a vote advantage was perfect.

Gotta say I don't get all the fuss over durag (or doo rag as I always thought it was spelled) thing. I've got one, my wife has one, that's what we call them. Always have. I'd have been happy to have an earnest conversation with Jamal about it, but I wouldn't have felt the need to apologize.

Fun season so far.

Dalton's recap - 'Survivor: Island of the Idols' recap: Elaine's sneak attack

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Agreed on Aaron. He would have been absolutely nuts to join with the other tribe.

I was a little surprised at how Elaine needed to play the block-a-vote during tribal rather than in secret during the vote, but I guess it does make for more drama.

I was laughing, and a little disgusted, with the antics of the Vokai people. At the beginning they felt they had everything in the bag and they were so confident "yeah, let's go to rocks! I'm totally ready!" Two seconds later the block-a-vote is read and now they actually have a real chance of being voted out and it's all "boo hoo! so scary!"

Yeesh.

3. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I didn't get the durag issue either. When did it become criminalized? I've never associated it with criminal activity. Except for when pirates wore them.

When Elaine was sitting there and was told she would have until the sand ran out to make her decision, I wondered what would've happened if she reached over and put her finger in the hole to plug it?

Squeak likes this.
  4. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I think Aaron played things badly. He over committed to the lie that he was voting with he other side, so now they'll be mad at him, and if his side finds out how quick he threw Elaine under the bus he'll be on the outs with them. Basically he went from a good position to a big target for everybody.

Family likes this.
  5. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Pretty sure that people not understanding, "What's the big deal about the joke about the durag?" is exactly what the issue was with the durag. Would he have made the same joke to anyone else on the tribe, or just called it a buff to start with?

(I, too, also thought it was spelled doorag.)

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I couldn't believe that girl was crying at the end when the vote didn't go her way...

LlamaLarry likes this.
  7. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    That Aaron didn't tell the other group about the vote block advantage should have clued me that he wasn't flipping.

8. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    It is beyond logical how Aaron would have played this so poorly. What is the point of this form of lying?

9. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Well, at least now Aaron is the 4th in a 4 person alliance instead of 5th in a 4 person alliance - so at least he has that.

The original Vokai tribe made me really dislike them... they acted like they had the right to be the 4 in power... Ummm, it's 4 and 4 - both sides are equal at that point - and well, y'all got played.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I've never heard of negative racial meanings of durag, I've barely heard of the term. So I would have used the same term with anyone, if it were even part of my vocab. Maybe I'm cynical (or an insensitive racist bastard) but I just think Jamal made a big deal out of it to try to turn the one who said it into a racist and get some negativity going against him. ie, game play.

stellie93 likes this.
  11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I think he made too much of it, but I don't think it was a game play.

heySkippy likes this.
  12. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I thought he made a pretty good explanation of the issue in his one-on-one with the cameraman.

If you google "durag negative connotation" there are a number of articles, over a number of years about the issue. Just the fact that the young guy (I don't know his name) immediately knew he'd made a mistake shows the mistake wasn't all cooked up in Jamal's head.

Who Criminalized the Durag?

What Does the Durag Actually Signify in 2017?

MikeekiM and hummingbird_206 like this.
  13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I can see Aaron staying in with the Vokai clique to make sure they didn't have any tricks of their own up their sleeve. I don't have a problem with him selling it hard. I did think the very last "we're good" was a little over the top. At least he didn't do a fist-bump with Jason after he'd voted him out!

14. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I am clueless as to whether Jamal overreacted or was right, but however they do it, Survivor finds a way to conjure up a politically correct lesson every season for its audience.

Martha likes this.
  15. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    !I think the fuss is in 39 seasons of Survivor it's always been called a buff. "Drop your buffs!" "Ready to see your new buffs?" Nobody calls it a durag (with any spelling variant). The only reason Jack said durag was because Jamal is black. To have something be viewed as something different only because it's being worn by a black person seems to be the epitome of implicitly biased perception.

Jack's view was implicit, something he didn't even consciously realize he was thinking, it just ... was. Just like young children have implicitly absorbed media messages about their bodies and faces being ugly or not good enough because it doesn't look like what they see on Instagram.

The conversation that followed seem to be pretty honest and real for both Jack and Jamal.

I agree Survivor does love showcasing how different people can come to new understandings about each other when they're put in an isolated situation. Started on the first season with Richard and Rudy, I believe. I've always found it interesting, but to each their own. I like the loved ones visit too and I know most viewers have come to hate that one, so who am I to say? :D

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Since the votes don't have a name on them for who cast them, the only way that advantage works is if it's publicly played beforehand and Elaine names a person whose vote will be blocked. Otherwise, how would it work?
    I've never considered do-rag (or "durag") to be a racial thing. Whenever I would wear a bandana on my head as a teen, I called it a do-rag. If Jack said it to Jamal because Jamal is black, then obviously that's wrong. But if Jack just said it because that's his generic term for a cloth/bandana worn on the head, then I don't see the issue.

But I did like the way Jamal and Jack were able to have a mature discussion about it and the way the show used it as a teaching opportunity for the audience rather than turning it into the type of fight they'd have on other reality TV like the Real Housewives.

17. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I had a feeling that the editors were playing with us when they showed one vote for Elaine going in to the voting urn, and then starting the tally count with 3 Elaine votes in a row to guide the suspense...

Of course, if all the votes were Elaine, they would have probably started with Elaine's vote to introduce a little drama (but not much)... That's how I read it when the votes were cast and read... That said, I have been fooled by Jeff and the editors too...

18. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Of course. The question was whether there was going to be 4 for Elaine or 4 for someone else. By putting all 3 of the votes for Elaine first, that meant that we were kept on the edge of our seat, waiting to see if the next one would be for her as well...

19. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I assume there is a delay between "I'll go tally the votes" and when Jeff pulls the votes, since they obviously rearrange them in the urn before Jeff pulls them.

Peter000 likes this.
  20. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Every time he says "I'll go tally the votes", I say "Rearrange them for the most dramatic effect". No way he just pulls them out of the urn randomly.

lalouque, NorthAlabama and Peter000 like this.