Survivor: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers S35E01 (OAD 9/27/2017)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, Sep 28, 2017.

1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Another season of Survivor!!!

Wow... Really shocked how poorly the Hustlers did in the first challenge right out the gate... It was hilarious when Probst made comments like "the hustlers are heading to a different beach", and "the hustlers are still trying to figure out what show they are on"... LOL... I know that is not a direct quote...but he said something close to that...

I know that it is how the game is played now...but I really hate the immediate focus on forming alliances... I loved the earlier seasons where alliances were formed more organically...

Anyway...I am only about 15 minutes into it... Will post more later!

2. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I thought Crissy would save Katrina and keep Team Mom intact... But I guess I get that it would paint a target on her back, and she probably wants to play on the down low at this point...

Alan is nuts... I think he is playing way too hard, way too early...

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was surprised Krissy didn't play the idol to save Katrina, but then I saw the votes and it was a unanimous vote for Katrina, including Krissy, so she would have been stupid to blow up that loose alliance she had built just to save someone that everyone wanted to vote out.

I'm curious why the table puzzle with the straight shot was left for last. That one seems like it would be the easiest.

I can just picture Alan stirring up drama in an NFL locker room. He was totally ridiculous.

I loved Probst saying, "The Hustlers are literally lost at sea." :D

4. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I expected the idol to be played too but as Devdog said it wouldn't have made sense. But Chrissy is next in line anyway so keeping Katrina would have given her someone on her side. I didn't quite understand how she's a "hero". She gave up a lucrative career to have a family and is now back to her career?

I never liked Alan Ball so I hope he goes home soon :)

Mike the Urologist and Ryan the Bellhop are interesting to say the least.

5. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
  6. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Good start with fresh faces. Glad to see no repeat players!

7. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The producers must have thought that first idol would be a good twist, but ended up being a bust.

8. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Miss the longer premier, this felt rushed. Not enough time to show them getting acquainted and forming those initial alliances.

None of them really grabbing my interest at this point, but sometimes that takes time.

So Alan's "strategy" was to behave like a paranoid idiot? Well, gee, that's brilliant.

9. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Agreed, I'm not a fan of returning players. Split them up however they want so they have a title for the season, and then mix them up soon anyway.

10. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yup... It's the same formula every time...

Group them together based on some common element and let them form some ties...

Then quickly shuffle the deck and let them form new alliances and test old alliances...

11. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I like the quick/frequent mix ups. Players who are on the verge of leaving get a new lease on life. Some of the arrogant players who think they are in control often find themselves in the minority after the switch.

12. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Like a fly to a light, I can't stay away.

13. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I didn't watch season 1 but friends who watched it said it was great. CBS then reran season 1 on consecutive nights against the Olympics and I watched it even though I knew who had won. I've been hooked ever since. I'm not a fan of some of the twists (Redemption Island, frequent returning players) but overall I still enjoy this show. When CBS downgraded Amazing Race to once per year I thought they might do the same with Survivor but so far they've stayed with 2. I guess it helps that they film them back to back at the same location.

14. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Good start to the season, man Alan sure is paranoid.

15. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah...I also think he is just being an *ss for the sake of being an *ss...

VegasVic likes this.
  16. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    They could have edited it out completely and it wouldn't have changed anything. I wonder if the choice of who he gave it to comes into play in later on because if that was the end of it, it was pointless to include in the episode.

17. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    I just can't keep my brain away from thinking con-artist every time I hear Jeff say Hustlers.

lalouque likes this.
  18. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I think of Larry Flynt

19. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    That could be because I agree it was pointless to show it otherwise. I know the idol was given anonymously but maybe Ryan is permitted to tell her at some point?

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    My guess is they showed the Secret Advantage/Idol because they've done the same thing in recent seasons, with an advantage being hidden somewhere right at the beginning of the game. So the players would be talking about it and the viewers would be expecting it. Plus, the scene with Ryan bonding with Devon was a really good scene made possible by the advantage. I'm not sure how they would have edited that scene without it. Plus, it added some tension at Tribal Council because we knew the "Mom Squad" was on the chopping block and we knew one of them had the Idol, so it made us pay a little more attention because it could have potentially resulted in one of the core four going home.