Survivor: David vs Goliath OAD 11-21-2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Nov 22, 2018.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Wow, another classic TC! The Davids may get wiped out in challenges, but they certainly rule in strategy.

The look on Dan's face ... I had to feel sorry for the guy. I haven't seen his Ponderosa yet, but I doubt he's as gracious in defeat as John was last week.

I was skeptical of the David vs Goliath theme. I figured it would be like nearly all seasons and be completely artificial and abandoned after the merge, but for once it seems to have given the two tribes something to bond over.

Dalton's recap: 'Survivor: David vs. Goliath' recap: Feast on the drama

edit to add Dan's Ponderosa. Cute.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    The Davids played it perfectly. There was no reason to use Christian's idol. By stealing the vote and using the idol nullifier, they were guaranteed to come out victorious at tribal.

The Goliaths screwed up by making it so obvious that they were still all together. Why would they have a big meeting like that out in the open?

3. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Loved this epsiode. How fun! I had been spoiled prior to the season that the nullifier was used in a tribal council against someone who had two idols. It still was really exciting!

The thing is, the Davids didn't need to do play the vote steal OR use the idol nullifier. The trio in the six Goliath's DID flip! With 3 Goliath's voting for Angelina, they could have gone with that or even gotten out whoever they wanted to other than Alec (or Dan if he played his idol and Carl waited for the nullifier). Will this come back to bite them? Will Alec/Kara/Alison not trust the David's anymore? Hard to argue with getting out a strong competitor AND an idol.

Kudos to Christian on the idol search. Breadth first indeed.
    And Alec, what a true Goliath just leaping over all those barriers at once in the immunity challenge. Wow.

Votes:
    Angelina ---> Christian
    Dan --> Christian
    Mike --> Christian
    Alison - vote withheld, presumably for Angelina
    Alec --> Angelina
    Kara --> Angelina

Christian --> Dan
    Gabby --> Dan
    Nick --> Dan
    Carl --> Dan
    Davie --> Dan

4. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Yea they could have kept the nullifier and voted out a random person but they got the big fish they wanted out. 2 big fish in a row.

tivotvaddict likes this.
  5. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    That vote was truly epic.

Martha likes this.
  6. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    The trio may not have flipped if the steal a vote wasn't used though. With that being played, they knew they wouldn't have the votes to get Christian and figured they were better off flipping. Really impossible to know for sure if they would have done that if the steal a vote wasn't used.

kettledrum, DevdogAZ and bryhamm like this.
  7. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Excellent point. Well played

8. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I was so glad to see both the nullifier and steal-a-vote used effectively. When these were first discovered, I was afraid they'd be another Survivor twist that had no impact, but this was epic.

LlamaLarry, pmyers and sushikitten like this.
  9. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I don’t believe anyone would have voted against Angelina had the vote steal not been played.

DevdogAZ likes this.
  10. stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    It's always the best when idols and advantages are used offensively. Russell Hantz was an expert at it.

Usually idols are just held on to and used to get the owner to the next tribal council. It is usually not exciting television and doesn't make a good "outplay" story for final tribal.

11. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I think this is the case. Why would Alec and Kara vote against a Goliath without looping the Davids in on the plan first? They were desperate and took a shot.

Another epic TC! This is turning into brains vs brawn quite literally!

What an enjoyable season so far.

12. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Yeah, another great TC. I know some folks don't like all the advantages and idols but I love how they cause all these twists and turns in the game.

Question: Why steal Alison's vote? Wasn't she one of the Goliath's that was seriously considering flipping and even discussed it with some of the Davids? Why not steal Dan's vote, a sure thing? The way it was played, Alison looked awful PO'd, might have alienated her if she was still considering flipping in the future.

Or do I have this completely wrong?

13. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It was not clear why they specifically chose to steal Alison's vote, but there must have been some strategic reason for it. My guess is that there was a conversation or set of circumstances that wasn't shown to us in order to make tribal more suspenseful. I always thought it would be cool if they would supplement each episode with some online clips that would give us more insight into stuff like this.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  14. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    I think Alison answered that pretty effectively herself. She was "seriously considering flipping" once, then didn't. She was "seriously considering flipping" a second time, then didn't. She alienated herself and if the Davids are half as smart as they appear to be, that ship has sailed for her. As for not stealing Dan's vote, there was no need. By stealing Alison's, they scared Dan enough to play his idol without tipping him off that he was the target.

15. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I agree that they would probably have not flipped if not for the steal a vote... they knew Dan had the idol and they knew the Davids were gunning for Dan... it was probably a last ditch effort to control who got voted off. Although they'll have some explaining to do next week on why they took a last ditch effort at one of their own rather than a different David.

Edit: Thinking some more, I guess that doesn't make sense unless the votes for Angelina were in case Christian also has an idol, in which case maybe they were planned all along?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  16. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I'm curious what would have happened if the Davids did nothing else but let Christian play his idol. I'm not sure if Dan would have played his in that circumstance.

The one thing I don't like about the idol nullifier in this season is that nobody but the person who won it and those that they shared it with had any knowledge of it. It's difficult to strategize around something if you don't know about it. In future seasons, contestants will be aware of the possibility that it exists and will have to include it possibly being played in their strategy. Dan wasn't given that at all.

17. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Since they planned to nullify his idol, I would have thought it better to make absolutely sure he knew he was the target.

18. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Agreed. Alison is this season's Lauren. Smart, likeable but playing it too safe, afraid to take risks.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  19. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    If $2 gets me a seat at the table, there's no need to spend $20. The $2 got the job done.

20. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I thought the back and forth between the Davids at TC hit a laundry list of points designed to make certain Goliaths feel guilty or embarrassed and to to make Dan nervous for himself. I thought they certainly must have rehearsed that beforehand and pulled it off very nicely.

Of course, it could all be editing. We only get to see a fraction of the whole TC. Nonetheless, if they did plan out taking turns with certain talking points at TC, it was very well done.