Survivor - 5/4/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by VegasVic, May 4, 2011.

1. May 4, 2011 #1 of 96
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Well again no surprises. I can't believe there are 5 in the game and 4 at RI. Enough already. I really hate that someone is going to get a second (or if it's Matt a third) chance this late in the game. It's almost as if they are keeping RI around just in case Rob gets voted off. This has been a real roller coaster season for me. I've loved it and I've hated it.

2. May 4, 2011 #2 of 96
    uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Kind of sick of the God talk.

3. May 4, 2011 #3 of 96
    pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    I agree with both of you.

They're trying so hard to increase the suspence, but unfortunately it's all going exactly how Rob is saying it will. :)

tk

4. May 5, 2011 #4 of 96
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Rob really went all out for the immunity challenge. I am so hoping he makes it to the end and wins.

Is there a way the tribe could have picked someone to vote off without it being a blindside? They should have discussed this way before this. Though I guess Rob didn't want them thinking about it.

5. May 5, 2011 #5 of 96
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Given rob has the idol that means he is safe next week unless he is blindsided and does not play it.

6. May 5, 2011 #6 of 96
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I'm curious if "Filipe" really has a good speech prepared for the finals or if that's just him being over-confident. I really wonder about him now... :\

7. May 5, 2011 #7 of 96
    Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Screw the people in NOLA, Haiti, Japan, Thailand, Darfur... God wants Matt to win.

8. May 5, 2011 #8 of 96
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Me too.

And it's like it's the perfect excuse.

"Why'd you give the reward to the other team? Man I couldn't do that."
    "Jesus wanted me to."
    "Oh, ok."

9. May 5, 2011 #9 of 96
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I think he will make it to the end, too.

But this week, they made a point showing a conversation that occurred at RI about how the jury will be mostly Zapatera members. I think editing that conversation into the show was a forewarning that Rob won't win.

10. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    The producers really put Mike in a tough spot with the reward decision. Giving it to the 6 isn't going to win him any votes and not giving it to the 3 probably didn't cost him any votes.

Doing what he did, giving it so it went to the most people, was pretty weird for Survivor.

11. dfergie

dfergie Member

Aug 27, 2006
    I'd have given Rob salt water after the challenge... yet the cult was bringing him water & helping him up, Jeff was even helping...

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    So as Tribal Council was playing out and the tribe is really thinning, you look over and there's still only three jury members. I HAVE to think that whoever it is that's going to be coming back from RI, it will have to be next week. I can't see them getting down to the nitty gritty with half the jury still sitting at RI and not seeing what's going on at TC.

I understand that not everybody believes in God, but there's just as much talk about thinking about family and drawing strength from the videos and everything - or talking to the grandfather for Pete's sake - after thirty-some days in that environment I think people cling to whatever they can out there. I don't ascribe to "God likes me so much better than you guys so He's going to let me win" and that kind of stuff, but I certainly don't begrudge people their beliefs, either. And for those that do believe, He can deal with the people in NOLA, Haiti, Japan, Thailand, Darfur just fine - the words Omnipotent and Omnipresent come to mind. ;)

13. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    This season is shaping up to be very unsatisfying. Redemption Island was a total failure, at least the part of it that is going on right now. The RI players did a challenge with freaking hacky sacks. The game players killed themselves on an exhausting immunity challenge. So in a day or two, someone will come back in the game not so physically drained, emotionally on a high compared to the game players. I bet the RI survivor wins final immunity, and then practically sweeps the Zapatera votes for the win.

This one is going to be rough.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    A few points based on last night and everyone's posts:

As much as I hate the idea that Rob keeps getting chances to play Survivor, I think he's finally got it right :) Took him long enough (although I guess you could argue that he was responsible for his now wife winning his second time around).

The whole God thing. I'm admittedly agnostic, but, I was always taught in religious school that God put us on earth, but it's up to us to determine how our life will be, not God. Not everything that happens is God's Plan. I do wonder if people like Matt live their whole life like that, and everything that happens, good or bad is God's Plan. And if that's the case, why do ANYTHING proactive? If it's God's Plan, won't it happen anyway? Just a thought...

On RI:
    I like the idea of it, but the way it's being used is a failure to me. I would have ended when they put Matt back in the game. Giving a second chance to someone halfway through the game is not bad, especially someone who got voted out so early. Giving someone a second (or third) chance so late in the game with a pretty good chance of going to the Final Three instead of someone who really played the game and had to interact with the other players is not fair. I don't think Matt would win if he makes it to the Finals, but certainly the members of the old tribe that are there would have a legit shot since the jury will be mostly from their tribe.

On Phillip:
    Why do I keep going back and forth on him being crazy like a fox or just plain crazy?

15. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Yawn. Like almost the entire season.

16. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Steve said it all a lot better than I could, but I will try.

I never saw Rob in his first run, only in the one with Amber and the ones following. I was hoping he could figure a way to let his group actually sort of volunteer to get voted off and have it not be a blindside so they wouldn't be upset with him.

It almost seems RI is becoming a new tribe, with that many people now. The game could go for another week or two voting everyone off. Maybe the next RI will have 2 or 3 people leaving if they don't win - "only the winner will stay, for all the rest, the game is over".

17. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Grant woulda had that IC if he hadn't screwed up twice in a row that one time.

18. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    So there are two episodes left...next Wednesday and the Sunday finale.

Andrea joins RI and I assume there will be a competition there. Is there 1 winner that rejoins next Wednesday? Or will they wait until Sunday, have whoever is voted out Wednesday join RI for 1 last "duel" and then allow that winner back to be part of the final 5?

If the current Ometepe 5 go to tribal as constructed, all of the other 4 think they are tight with Rob. If Rob really wants Natalie and Phillip with him in the final 3, who does he target...Grant or Ashley? I guess just see who doesn't get immunity and target the other one. I guess just use Phillip as the red herring again since it worked last time.

I know I'm looking ahead, but things might work against Rob as they get to the end. One of the last challenges is always one of those endurance exercises where you have to stand in an awkward way for a long time and wait out the others. Those usually work against the bigger, stronger, bulkier contestants and favor smaller ones like Natalie and Ashley or even Andrea.

And Rob won't have hidden immunity by that point, so he could conceivably rule the game and be discarded right before the end. With 4 hours of Survivor left...it's gonna get even more interesting.

19. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    That's exactly what it is. You have a tribe of 5 and a tribe of 4. The only difference is one tribe votes off a member and the other tribe uses a challenge to get rid of a member. And as pointed out above the "real" tribe had a much harder challenge. It just doesn't seem right to me once we are in "jury phase". I don't ever watch previews but I'm hoping they have one last RI challenge where the winner is back in the game and the other 3 are gone and in the jury. But that's what I was hoping last night. RI: Decent idea gone bad.

20. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Steve sure looked like he packed it in. He looked like he was going through the motions during the challenge.