1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survivor 5/17/18 Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Martha, May 17, 2018.

1. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    (Sorry - wrong date - 5/16/18)

Good grief! This is a boring, frustrating ending to a boring season.

I've about convinced myself that Laurel has a secret final 2 alliance with Wendell, because I really can't believe she's as dumb as she appears.

Highlight of the night - Donathan has left on the crazy train. I'm glad they didn't vote him out, because he's the only one really worth watching at this point.

I can't believe they didn't get Dominick or Wendell. AGAIN.

2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Yup, seems like everyone else is playing for 3rd place.

The strain must be getting to many. Wendell made a big mental error at the immunity challenge, Johnathon with a D is losing it, and Angela appears to be physically used up.

3. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
  4. KevinG

KevinG Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Mt. Laurel, NJ.
    Who is this "Laurel" person you are referring to? Do you mean "Yanny"?

5. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm convinced that there was a magical artifact found somewhere on the island that caused Donathan and Kellyn to swap bodies, like in Freaky Friday. Isn't paranoia, emotional eruptions, and ultimately impotent attempts at "big moves" Kellyn's wheelhouse?

I'm also convinced that Sea "Dude, where's my car?" Bass is in the final three. He's going to freaking win it, and just imagine how much dank weed and White Castle a million bucks can get you.

6. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Gak! Makes me nuts. I don't think I've ever rooted so hard for two likable players to be voted out. It's usually the arseholes. But I want these two out because it's been so obvious for so long that they've been in control and NO ONE DOES ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Arghhh!

I loved the reward challenge. Very cool.

Did anything Donathon did this ep make any sense?

7. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    It's like Laurel is making up excuses in her own mind to NOT vote for Wendel

8. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    The challenges in this episode were great. The contestants just are not.

Also, the idea behind ghost island is great but it just turns out to be blah. Pick a bamboo is just about the most boring "game" they could have come up with, maybe aside from them playing "pick a rock from a bag" with their loved ones last year. I like that all the artifacts have a backstory, but most of those didn't come directly from Ghost Island but were found back at camp.

9. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Dom and Wendell are similar to Boston Rob in that everyone knows they are running the game but for some reason just don't vote them out. Still time to do so but still idols to be played as well.

10. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Survivor first aired in 2000 and displayed an open treasure chest with the million dollar prize at Tribal Council. 18 years later, they still offer a million dollars. How much has that million bucks depreciated when compared to its value in 2000?

I'm also curious how much Jeff Probst's paycheck has appreciated to host the show from 2000 to 2018?

11. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat wPod TCF Club

Oct 11, 2008
    The other players should have got together and told Dom and Wendell that they were all voting for one of them, then tell them they can play their idols or risk getting voted out. There's not much downside for the other players because Dom and Wendell are already deciding who gets voted out.

12. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    It's always interesting when players choose NOT to use an idol, especially when it's getting down to the end. You have to be pretty damn comfortable in the vote. And we've seen many comfortable players voted out.

13. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Donathon must have really wanted to go. Before the first vote Dom made it clear to make the vote 3-2, Kellyn voted for Donathon to make it 3-3 yet Donathon voted for Domenic.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think everyone is not giving enough credit to Dom and Wendell and the way they're managing the rest of the people to prevent votes against them. For example, they took Laurel on the reward and cultivated their relationship with her to the point that she is now sure she's got a final three deal with them and for some reason feels that's better than she can do voting against them. They sent Sea Bass to Ghost Island which accomplished a few things: (1) it signaled that they still consider Sea Bass to be "on their team" and that they still trust him, (2) it allowed him to get an advantage that could help their alliance, and (3) it prevented him from being at camp and making a deal with the other three to vote against D&W.

And then the whole charade with the note and lying about it not being important but still something they wanted to keep secret was brilliant. They got Donathan paranoid, and then they got everyone else to wonder if one or both of them were going to play an Idol at this TC.

And we haven't seen any evidence of this on the show, but Dom and Wendell must be doing a masterful job of preventing groups of people from being able to congregate and make plans without the two of them present. Otherwise, why wouldn't Kellyn, Angela, Laurel, and Donathan have gotten together and at least discussed the possibility of making a solid final four deal? All of them know they can't beat Dom or Wendell at the final TC, so their best bet is to band together and get both of them out beforehand. But at this point, it's too late.

So when it comes down to deciding who to vote for, Laurel has the following choice: Stick with Dom and Wendell and ensure that she doesn't go home tonight, or vote against Dom and Wendell, the targeted person plays an idol, and then she could end up going home with as little as one vote against her. Apparently she's not willing to take that risk. Similarly, Sea Bass also has no incentive to vote against D&W if he knows he's not being targeted. So it's down to Kellyn and Donathan to organize something and pull in Angela. But the two of them don't trust each other, plus Donathan has turned out to be a bit of a lunatic, so it's not surprising the other faction can't get anything together.
    Except that they know it's a final three this season. They also know about the fire at final four. So they can't really make a secret alliance to get any farther than the final four. At that point, it's either win the final challenge, win the fire-making challenge, or be viewed as a perfect goat.

15. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    It is my understanding they know nothing about the fire challenge to see who is in the final three as this season started filming before Season 35 aired.

16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Even though S35 had not aired yet, the cast of this season was told about that twist before filming for S36 began.

'Survivor: Ghost Island' cast told before game about final four twist

17. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I appreciate the fact that D&W are playing a smart game but that doesn't mean the others aren't playing a dumb game. The question for each player should be "Who can I WIN against?" Of course we don't know what will happen with the jury - they may appreciate good gameplay or they may be resentful - but I don't think anyone stands a chance against Dom and especially Wendell and the others must surely know it. As I've said for several weeks, the others should have been targeting D&W weeks ago, when they became so obviously dominant in the game.

18. 1margarette

1margarette New Member

May 9, 2018
    This is definitely not my favorite season of Survivor. The show has been about Dom and Wendell, how will the remaining contenders send this two back home?

19. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

20. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Absolutely. If any of the other players wanted to win, they needed to make their move several TCs ago. At this point, it's pretty much guaranteed that D&W make it to the final four. And from there, the chances that one of them doesn't make it to the final three is extremely slim. The only real question remaining is which one of them gets the most votes at Final TC?