Survivor - 2/19/20

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Man, I wish these were two-hour episodes.

Best quote of the night, Sara - "The last time 'cops-r-us' happened the other half of 'cops-r-us' voted this half of 'cops-r-us' out of the game."

Denise, er... She tells Adam about the idol, asks him if she should give the other half to Parvati, like he's going to say "sure, why not". So he says no - of course he says no - and, gee, suggests she should give it to him. And so she does.

I can't believe the players are letting Parvati and Rob run the game. Wow. Rob completely whiffs on the puzzle, I mean badly, and there's not a bit of blowback. Wow.

Thought for sure the Tonester was going to break his neck on that ladder. What a nutcase. Second best line of the night, Tyson - "I don't think there's a ladder clause."

2. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Another great episode!

Danni messed up big time. It's always funny when people are talking in a group and they say something that one or more of the people in that group aren't supposed to know. We've seen it happen many times over the years, but you wouldn't expect a former winner to have such a big blunder. And then she makes it even worse for herself by suggesting to Rob that they should blindside Parvati. Like Amber, I think the game was just moving to fast for her.

I'm happy Denise found the idol because I like her and Adam, but I can't believe she was stupid enough to want to give half of it to Parvati. She's lucky she bounced that idea off Adam first. It just goes to show how dangerous Parvati is in this game. After a couple conversations with her, Denise already thinks they're best friends. :)

Kim messed up also by trusting Sophie. I think she's in real trouble the first time her tribe loses.

It was shocking to see Rob do so poorly on the puzzle. He's one of the best puzzle solvers in the history of the game. Once he quickly caught up to the other team, I thought he was going to blow right by them, but then he stopped for some inexplicable reason and started sorting out all the pieces. He got a little too clever for his own good, and it cost them the win.

That tribal was crazy! It's kind of amazing how everyone (with the exception of Adam) instantly caved to Rob's demand that they empty their bags. I honestly think a lot of these players are truly afraid of him. I also really loved how Rob started whispering to Jeremy. It goes to show that he is capable of adapting, even though he is an old school player from an era before the live tribal. You can say what you will about Rob, but the guy is a REALLY good player!

tivotvaddict likes this.
  3. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    What a great episode. Once again Rob shows how much he understands (and controls) this game. Who else could make everyone dump out their bags to prove they didn't have an idol?
    And since people could've had it in their pants, or under their hats, it seemed like it was just a control move.

Denise did a good job of hiding her half of the idol during TC. But she clearly has no idea how to use it since he wanted to give half to Parv.

I thought Rob had a good idea of laying out the pieces ahead of time, but I think the other team was just too far ahead but that point.

4. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'll have to go back and re-watch it, but I thought he pretty much caught up to them because he solved the first third of the puzzle so quickly. If he had just continued to plug away at it, there was a good chance he would have won.

5. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    She came off looking foolish all around. Adam totally played her.

6. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I saw it as more of knocking some sense into her rather than playing her. Isn't Adam her main ally out there at this point?

7. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I don't remember, but the conversation was inane and naive from any standpoint. Essentially, she's asking "Should I give it to Parvati... or someone else?" What is anyone, except someone in an alliance with Parvati (and asking such a person would be just as naive), going to say? Of course they are going to say no and hint or outright suggest she give it to them.

8. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I thought it was smart of Ben not to pressure Denise into giving the other half of the idol to him. It makes him seem trustworthy and non-threatening, and he's going to need to build some strong bonds if he wants to make it far this time.

lalouque likes this.
  9. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    gweempose likes this.
  10. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I agree and was thinking the exact same thing.

11. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I've been watching Australian Survivor as they are airing their All Star season now too. Their episodes are two hours with a single elimination at the end. After watching that, the US version seems really rushed.

12. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    She did...with 20/20 hindsight...

My take? Shame on Rob, Parvatti and Ethan for not managing their alliance better. In my opinion, Danni's behavior was simply poor alliance management. I was shaking my head when I saw the three of them meeting alone, with Danni in the distance. They are way too seasoned to allow an alliance member to feel left out. Alliance members who feel left out, feel like they are "on the outs". This is no surprise to anyone. Keep Danni feeling safe for heavens sake!

Best line of the night... Ethan telling Rob "Dude...you sucked today..." :p

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  13. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I agree that this is really on Rob and Parv for not making Danni feel comfortable. Keep your alliance close, include everybody, ask what they want to do.

I am disappointed they didn't just vote Rob or Parv out though. The longer they go in the game, the harder they are to get out. Especially Rob because of Amber on EoE.

Speaking of EoE, I saw the "first letter of each sentence" coming once it didn't really seem to have a clue after reading it. Glad Natalie found the item to sell, and it's an interesting power that Jeremy got.

14. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Oh, and poor Adam couldn't find the hole to put his torch in :D :D

lalouque likes this.
  15. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    That's what she said! :p

16. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    New Reality TV idea: The Tony 'n Tyson Show. Each episode features Tony running around, just being... Tony. Add the Tyson snark as the narrator. I'd watch that. :D

left.. left... left right left!

Tyson: how is this guy still alive?
    Also Tyson: that's the guy that's enforcing the law, at home

kettledrum and stellie93 like this.
  17. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    When Rob was doing so terrible at the puzzle, my first thought was that he couldn’t concentrate because of being angry because of Amber being voted out.

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    That's exactly what I thought too. From what I've heard he had to push Amber to compete in this season so it's got to gut him that she's out right away. I know a lot of it was the ominous music overlay but Rob's eyes when he found out looked like he wanted to slice up every member of the other tribe.

As I suspected last week, it's going to be hard for Amber (or Danni) to out-compete Nat for advantages on EoE...

19. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I don't disagree with you, but in this case wasn't it kind of just pure luck that Nat found it before Amber? It seems like whoever happened to go to the well to get water first would have seen it. It kind of annoys me that they were able to just stumble across it instead of being forced to figure out the clue.

tiellv and kettledrum like this.
  20. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    Natalie is pretty smart and I feel like Amber’s head is partly at home with her kids. I like Natalie so I’m hoping she does well.