Survivor 11/20/19 - Island of the Idols

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TriBruin, Nov 21, 2019.

1. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    It was nice to see Aaron and Missy get voted out last night. Missy especially! She really was a bully in the way she treated Karishma and talking down to her.

My favorite line of the of the night:
    Tommy: You were coming after me.
    Missy: No I wasn't (uhm, you just voted for him, how were you not coming after him?)

Liz looked like someone just told her that her dog died. She is now in a very bad position. But, in Survivor, being the odd man/woman out is often not a bad place to be. You tend to be forgotten about for a few votes or you suddenly become the swing vote that everyone wants to be friends with. (See Karishma and Janet this week.)

I want to feel bad for Karishma, but not sure I can. She is obviously not made for this game and the elements. But, she chose it. If she can't handle it, go home.

Have Rob and Sandra really become just observers (and make funny comments) in this game? If so, they have been completely wasted. I thought the idea of using them as mentors was good idea (and a neat twist on the game.) But they really have not done much, if anything, to affect the game. And, but seems that they players are going to IotI only couple of episodes. I supposed there could be players going, but it is being edited out since it has no affect on the game.

2. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This was a much more satisfying episode to watch, especially considering the fact that two of the main people involved in last week's ugliness got their comeuppance. I was so happy to see Missy get blindsided like that. She really deserved it. And what the heck was up with her hanging around for so long after she had already been voted out?

The timing of the split tribal couldn't have worked out any better for Janet and Karishma. It almost makes you wonder if production did it on purpose in order to give Janet a better shot of staying in the game.

Martha likes this.
  3. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I had high hopes for the concept. Like you, I assumed that Rob and Sandra would be directly involved in the game as mentors/coaches who would help guide players in terms of decision making and strategy. Unfortunately, it now appears like they were never meant to be anything more than a gimmick.

LlamaLarry and Martha like this.
  4. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Karishma kind of reminds me of Sierra from Tocantins. Like Karishma, Sierra struggled to fit in from the moment the game began. The difference is that I felt kind of bad for Sierra, and I don't feel particularly bad for Karishma. It's one thing to be socially awkward or not as physically strong as the other players, but Karishma seems to be her own worst enemy. You're definitely not going to win any friends by sitting around camp and doing nothing all day.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  5. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't have a link handy, but the joint Aaron & Missy Ponderosa video was cute. Those two have good chemistry.

dfergie likes this.
  6. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    It was really satisfying watching those two get voted out. The bully saying they aren't a bully and to just suck it up has parallels to all the other crap going down this season.

I thought it was going to be yet another person with an unplayed idol going home.

Martha likes this.
  7. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I wonder if Karishma went to tribal assuming Janet would be sitting on the jury and she’d have to vote out Tommy in order for the women to have a majority but switched to Missy once she saw Aaron.

8. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I was not happy to see Karishma stay. She is just a bad player and doesn't deserve to still be there.

Missy was intense and I definitely don't agree with her strategy all the time, but I'd prefer her over Karishma.

As soon as Noura told Karishma to go get coconuts I knew she was going to find an idol.

I also was shocked about how they allowed Missy to go around hugging people after she was voted out, and whispering strategy stuff to her! That seems out of bounds. I mean, it's not really a big deal in reality: nothing she says will matter 5 minutes after tribal is over. But it seems unfair.

I also have been disappointed in how Rob and Sandra have been used so far. I think their comments on TC are absolutely hilarious but it seems lame to send them out there and not use them more. I'm thinking that they will play a bigger part later in the game, somehow.

LlamaLarry and Martha like this.
  9. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Aaron and Missy Ponderosa

10. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It's interesting that Kellee said she was rooting for Missy and was looking forward to voting for her at the end. I wonder if she still feels that way after having seen exactly how everything went down last week.

11. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't think the players are nearly as disturbed about the Dan thing as parts of the viewing audience seem to be.

12. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Most of the players weren't aware of what happened with Kellee and Dan.

Donbadabon likes this.
  13. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It is my understanding that Aaron and Missy haven't given any exit interviews yet. I'm guessing the show has exercised some clause in the contract and is forcing them to be silent.

14. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I am somewhat surprised that Karishma didn't play the idol... Smart to keep it since it was reasonably obvious that she was the swing vote...but you never know, right?

She even said that she would play it to ensure she stays another week... With that comment, I thought she would use it as insurance for certain...

15. Jayjoans

Jayjoans Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    PC attitudes have infected this game. Missy had to call Jeff to task for not recognizing that two people of color had done something at the same time for the first time in the game. (I can't remember what it was).

Can you imagine if Jeff HAD pointed out that two people of color had done something at the same time for the first time in the game? I submit he would have been vilified for 1)noticing color at all 2)insinuating that it was something surprising for two people of color to accomplish.

It's a no-win situation with social justice warriors. This is why I've lost interest in this game, and only saw this portion during the tribal since my wife was watching.

Amnesia, R1elvis, gweempose and 7 others like this.
  16. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Two people of color were safe from the vote (because they both had immunity).

17. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    And those same two people were voted out last night.

18. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Leave it to Noura to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. "I won the idol! Oops." What an idiot. No PB&J for you!

Glad to see those two voted out, especially Missy. Once again someone who thinks they are Charles-in-charge gets their comeuppance.

I think Elaine is a serious threat to win it all.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Although it was hilarious how Noura just jumped down when she won, realistically there was no way she was going to beat Elaine based on what we saw. Elaine was locked in; she looked like she could do that for days.

20. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I guess that I am rooting for Janet, and perhaps Elaine, but I don't think either will make it much further due to their perceived likability. I think Rob is right that everyone plans to bring Karishma as close to the end as they can. because she is so awful.

I get that the Survivor is a game built with real players and real world experiences and will certainly echo those, but I am not sure that I need each episode to have an after school special aspect to it: racism, sexism, sexual harassment, and now bullying. We haven't hit sexual orientation or gender identity/expression yet this season but I'd be surprised if they didn't come up somehow before the end of the reunion.

None of the things I listed should happen anywhere, much less in a TV show game; I just don't find it entertaining or imagine that it is particularly effective at changing viewer hearts and minds.

stellie93 likes this.