Survivor 10/3/18

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Oct 4, 2018 #1 of 19
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Man, after all these years a good blindside is still a joy to watch. The expressions on their faces, ha! Jess was just smug enough to deserve it.

I loved the exchange between Jeremy and Natalie - "We're both black, we have to look out for each other, blah blah blah" Then she blows him off (deservedly so) and two seconds later he tells us "I'm going into overdrive to get Natalie out."

Best quote of the night: "I've never smelled an idol but this is authentic idol leather."

Gabby is still my favorite so far.

2. Oct 4, 2018 #2 of 19
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Agreed, blindsides never get old. You don't have to lie about your age anymore Jess. Why put Bi on the ladder part of the challenge? She was horrible. MMA fighter but seemed weak.

I like Christian, Elizabeth, Gabby, Nick, I'd be happy if any of them won. On the other side, it's always hard to fit in as an "old" person since there are usually only 1 or 2 of you but Natalie seems (editing) to be going out of her way to alienate herself. I guess we'll see once that tribe gets to TC. I like John, Jeremy and Mike I guess on that side.

3. Oct 4, 2018 #3 of 19
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Yeah, Natalie could be a case study in how not to play Survivor. But Jeremy is an idiot. Hey Jeremy, how about being aware enough of other people to know that she is probably the last person on either tribe to stand there and listen to some amateur therapy about what's wrong with her personality.

kettledrum likes this.
  4. Oct 4, 2018 #4 of 19
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Love the blindside! And another interesting challenge. I like the ones where they are forced to build a puzzle on a balancing platform because they allow a chance for an upset. Goliath did a good job of taking their time and not losing it.

VegasVic likes this.
  5. Oct 4, 2018 #5 of 19
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    That challenge looked really tough. Kind of surprised they finished. No matter how slow you go, good chance someone flinches too much and knocks it down.

6. Oct 4, 2018 #6 of 19
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Why "deservedly so"? I thought he was really trying to help her and giving her some valid constructive criticism. And she was so lacking in self-awareness that she couldn't even accept when someone told her flat out that she had a problem with self-awareness. I don't blame Jeremy at all for flipping his opinion of her and deciding that if she is that stubborn, she has to go.
    It's always funny when they have the physical component of the challenge and it looks so dramatic, but then it ends up being completely meaningless to the outcome. They showed us that over an hour had passed before Goliath finally won. I'm surprised the Davids weren't able to make up some ground on the puzzle during that time, but maybe the physical component (balancing the tables) was just too much for them.

sushikitten and Crobinzine like this.
  7. Oct 4, 2018 #7 of 19
  8. Oct 4, 2018 #8 of 19
    59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    Quoting Probst from Dalton Ross’s Q&A:
    I really have felt like the editing over the past season or two does feel fresh, like they’re trying something new. (Last season’s merge episode was incredibly well constructed!) And this season we already seem to be getting more exposure to most of the players, compared to last season with little shown of Chelsea, etc.

9. Oct 4, 2018 #9 of 19
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    You don't start telling an almost-60 yr old, obviously very headstrong woman - whom you literally met three days ago - about her basic personality faults. "So here's what's wrong with you, Natalie..." Yeah, right. Most folks would realize five minutes after meeting her that an egomaniac like Natalie wouldn't react well to criticism. However "good" his intentions (which I ascribe more to his own ego - "I'm going to fix Natalie!") and no matter how right he was, it came off as condescending.

He didn't flip on her because she was stubborn and it had nothing to do with gameplay. He flipped because when she essentially told him (deservedly so) to frack off, him got his feewings hurt because she didn't appreciate how smart and insightful he was.

10. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I disagree strongly. He wanted to preserve a likely ally who was painting a target on herself, and he came away away from the interaction knowing he needed to make a 180.

11. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    That's how I took it

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Obviously, it's all in the editing, but Natalie is appearing like someone who really doesn't want to be there, especially with a bunch of immature kids. She's pretty much said this. And that's a recipe to make yourself a target. She's extremely lucky that Goliath won the first two challenges, or she would be gone.

I agree that the editing is much improved. It used to be SO easy to pick out the red herrings from the real person going home. They have really made a concerted effort to make a second choice be viable or just not go through the charade of intruding another possibility. That's why this week's blindside worked so well for us viewers. Kudos to the production team for doing this.

VegasVic likes this.
  13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Totally disagree. This is a game where people have to work together to succeed. He was trying to work with her and was sharing with her the fact that other people were starting to talk about targeting her due to her actions. He was trying to warn her so she would last longer in the game.
    Totally agree with this. Natalie was more interested in maintaining her proud stance than in working with a potential ally to get farther in the game.

Crobinzine, stile99 and VegasVic like this.
  14. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    VegasVic likes this.
  15. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I see people like Natalie all the time. They think Millennials listen to them and respect them because they are such great leaders...

I have many Millennials working for me. They listen and respect me because I'm the boss. I hired them. I can fire them. I can promote them.

Yes, I treat them well. Yes, I have more experience. Yes, they learn a lot from me. But the relationship started with me being the boss and then they learned that I'm good. If we started out as equals, maybe they would learn to listen to me and respect me after years of proving myself to them; but they sure as heck would not do so from day one as Natalie seems to expect.

No self-awareness at all.

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    We were watching the challenge, and Jeff mentioned what a big lead the Goliaths had, and my son said "What does he expect? One team is full of people that are winners and used to winning and one team is full of people who are mostly losers. Of course the Goliaths are gonna win." Word.

I've never really understood "blindside". Every tribal council is a blindside (OK, maybe 99%). It's pretty rare that everyone tells the person that's about to be voted off that it's them and they walk into tribal saying "Hey Probst, it's me going home so lets just get it over with" and the vote bears that out. It's almost always a surprise to the person voted out, so not sure why Jeff (mainly) always makes a big deal out of a blindside - that's the way it's supposed to work.

We are really working to go deeper with our stories earlier in the season so people really know who is playing and what’s at stake for them.

Yuck. Just like on America's Got Talent, Amazing Race, and other reality shows, I don't care to know anything about these people's actual lives. I just want to watch them perform/play the game. I fast forward everything except the performances on AGT, so looks like I might have to start FF'ing more parts of Survivor too.

17. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I have no idea of the percentages but certainly during many tribals there are players that at least suspect they are on the chopping block, or know that they are one of two or three on the chopping block, or even that they are most probably the one going home that night. There are also different kinds of blindsides, such as when pretty much everyone turns against a player who was confident he was safe. Or when an alliance breaks down and splits and the new alliance blindsides the old. And so on...

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    To me a blindside is when a player is voted out in two ways. One, if they have no idea they are a target, or two, if they expect to win and a member of their alliance flips on them and they never expected it.

DevdogAZ likes this.
  19. forecheck

forecheck Active Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Roseville, CA
    I think you can tell a big blindside when the person doesn't bring their pack to the tribal council, which Jessica didn't bring this week.

Steveknj likes this.