Surprising new show or shows of the season?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Lopey, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Lopey

Lopey Active Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Ormond...

Advertisements

Now that we are a couple of weeks in, what new show or shows are you keeping up with? Which ones have you dumped?

I've really liked Blue Bloods so far. I have watched two episodes of Chase, but I look forward to watching more. I've watched one episode of The Event, I've kept on recording but haven't watched anymore. I've also watched 2 episodes of Hawaii 5-O but haven't gone back to that one yet.

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    My surprising new show is Raising Hope. Almost didn't record it at first because the premise didn't sound that funny, but I gave it a shot, and it makes me laugh out loud every episode.

Surprising in the other direction? Chase. I was hoping for something better and different, more in the In Plain Site vein. Just a typical cop show, like a dozen other ones.

3. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    I don't know about surprising, but Terriers is very good.

4. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I'm surprised at how little I liked No Ordinary Family, and how much I've liked Better With You.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003

Advertisements

I've just about cleared out any new series and am back to just watching the well established shows that have been around a while.

I think The Event is about the only new show I'm trying to stay with, but after 3 episodes I'm at the point that I'm ready to drop it too due to lack of interest...I was hoping I'd enjoy it more, but I'm finding after each ep, I care less about the people and what's going on.

6. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Boardwalk Empire is turning into Boredwalk Empire.

7. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Not a single standout in the network lineups.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm pretty sure that Nikita is the only new show I'm continuing to regularly watch.

Of the other new shows that were on my season pass list:
    - Undercovers wasn't bad, per se, it was just such an inconsequential and meaningless show that as I went back through my Now Playing list, I could never bring myself to waste that much of my time watching. If it's on and I'm utterly bored, I might still tune in, I just don't think I'd go to any effort to watch.
    - Chase, as indicated above, just ended up being a fairly standard procedural, and not my preference in shows to watch.
    - The Event was dumped as soon as I saw the first episode. Definitely not my thing.

9. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I think this season sucks compared to the last two years in terms of new shows that have interested me.

Sticking to the networks alone (because shows like Terriers and Boardwalk Empires are good), I would say I am interested in the previously mentioned Raising Hope. Even the commercials for the show make me laugh. I enjoy the Defenders, and then Blue Bloods. Oh yeah and L&O LA, but that is really just Law and Order, moved to LA, so it is hard to count it as a new show.

I have yet to watch the event so I can't make judgment on that.

Can not say I love any of the new shows, or any of them are must see right away. Given the number of new shows that I enjoyed that hit the last two years, this year has been a pretty significantly disappointment. Shows like Chase, and 50 are fairly generic and okay to watch, but nothing compelling to make me want to tune in every week.

Oh I did like No Ordinary Family, but only saw the first episode, and want to give it another one to see if I will like it. I suspect I will get bored of it by the end of one season though.

Anyways, this year is not very good. Fortunately there are still a lot of good shows on. I look back last season and there were 5 or 6 network shows at least, that ended up becoming shows I enjoyed. Was probably the best year to come along in a long while. I think this year suffers following last year.

10. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Even though it isn't new, I really like "Ugly Americans" on Comedy Central.

While suffering through a third of the awful "Cleveland Show" last night, I found myself wishing there were more good animated shows.

"Family Guy" is uneven but generally funny. I really like "American Dad".

Simpsons just needs to go away already. I wouldn't mind them having a spinoff with Moe and Homer. Kind of similar to the old Archie Bunker's Place where Homer and Moe would run the bar together. And why do they hardly ever show the funniest character on there (Mr. Burns?) anymore? Always Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. :(

I was hoping "Neighbors from Hell" would be watchable but I could tell from the way the animation looked that would fail. And it was not funny.

It's good to have "South Park" back. There's room for a couple more quality animated shows on TV. Dump some of the reality crap.

11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Let's see. What are the new shows I TiVo'ed this Fall

Lone Star -- Cancelled after two episodes. A bit bummed. I thought it could be good. (oddly enough, I saw a poster promoting it in a local mall on Sunday)

My Generation -- Cancelled after two episodes. No major loss.

The Event -- Pilot was not a standout for me, but I just had to tune into the second episode to see how something in the pilot turned out. Second epsiode turned out to be pretty good. So was the third. At least, for me, I am keeping this one. But I can't really say I'm surprised by it. I think I started out wanting to like and get into a "Lost" type of thing.

Hellcats -- Eye candy galore (though not quite as good as Gossip Girl). Still watching. :)

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Only occasionally watching this, but I suppose this would count as my surprise show of the season. I laughed at the concept, thinking it would be basically the cheer performances from "Bring It On" as a weekly series, but surprisingly enough, there's actually more of a show there than that.

Plus, it's nice that I can get the eye candy without feeling like stabbing myself in the temple with an ice pick... that's always a plus. :D

13. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    For new shows, we've picked up The Defenders, The Event, Nikita, and $..! My Dad Says. Also The League (although, technically that wasn't completely new - it had a 6 ep season already aired). Favorite is Nikita, most surprising is $..! My Dad Says, mostly b/c it's been awhile since we've watched any sitcoms at all.

Still on the TiVo to try, are: Blue Bloods, Chase, Hawaii Five-O, No Ordinary Family, Outlaw, Terriers, Undercovers, and The Whole Truth. And Luther will be starting real soon.

Dumped? Lone Star. That was easy :p. Never even watched it.

14. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine

Have you checked out Venture Bros or Archer? I've heard they're good, but I haven't seen them yet.

15. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Archer. That's really one of the best. Haven't heard of Venture Bros - I'll have to check it out.

16. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    By far, the best new series I encountered was Lone Star. Had this stuck around, I think it would have been of Mad Men caliber, at least for me. The rest of the country thought otherwise.

Out of all the other new shows, yeah, I'm enjoying some, but none are must see TV.

"Hits"...

Raising Hope: My favorite that's actually not been canceled. Wasn't expecting much going in, but as soon as they "went there" and actually executed the mom, I knew it was gonna be good. :)

The Event: is turning out better than I expected. It doesn't even deserve to be compared to "Lost", imo, but its keeping me intrigued.

Nikita: Sometimes it drowning in its seriousness and needs a good dose of Whedon. But, I'm enjoying it. It does make me appreciate and miss Dollhouse which I'd take over Nikita in a heartbeat.

Outsourced: Not hilariously funny or anything, but I find it amusing and it has its own kind of charm.

"Misses"...

Chase: I think I was hoping this would be more akin to The Fugitive but with female eye candy playing the Tommy Lee Jones role. Unfortunately, as others have already mentioned, it's just another cop show.

Undercovers: Couldn't even get through the first episode. Considering its early 8 EST timeslot, I suspected going in that it was going to be a little too 'light', and not really for me. So I was disappointed in it, but not unexpectedly.

My Generation: couldn't get past the first half hour.

Hellcats: Just deleted the SP a couple days ago. Not bad at all, but just too much else going on and no inclination to watch it. Didn't like the "mom" character at all and found her to be FF material.

No Ordinary Family: I was amused by the pilot, but couldn't get into the second episode. SP is probably going to deleted.

"Undecided":

Boardwalk Empire: I'm having a hard time staying interested. I think a lot has to do with the fact that it's hard to tell many of the different characters apart and/or remember who is who. Is it just me?

Hawaii 5-O: I somewhat enjoyed the first episde, loved the 2nd, but couldn't get through the 3rd without using the FF button. Time will tell.

17. SorenTodd

SorenTodd New Member

May 26, 2009
    The only "new" show that I am really enjoying is The Event. Everything else is just "blah".

FOX's Terra Nova can't get here quickly enough. :rolleyes:

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    On the broadcast networks, the new shows I'm watching are

-The Event - I'm loving this show. The story is compelling and the acting has been pretty good. I don't mind the complexity (I prefer it) and so far the "suspend your disbelief" moments haven't bothered me.
    -Running Wilde - Loved Arrested Development and I can see where this has some major similarities. It's been a little uneven so far, but each episode has gotten better, and I'm sticking with it for awhile due to my love of this type of humor.
    -No Ordinary Family - Fairly formulaic so far, but kind of fun and easy to watch. I'll stick with it for at least several more episodes.
    -Mike & Molly - Been pretty lame so far, and I might dump it after tonight.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    New shows:
    The Whole Truth -- I admit, it's mostly because I like the stars, but it's a legal show that I like. I realize it's apparently getting awful ratings.

The Event -- I think I've only watched the first one so far all the way through, but intend to keep watching. (That's not actually a negative, since in the past for Tivo space reasons, I purposely STOPPED watching popular shows since I knew they'd show up on DVD.)

A couple of sitcoms: Running Wilde, !@$# my dad says. Probably one more I can't think of.

I've seen both episodes of No Ordinary Family. I didn't think it was that great, but will probably give it a few more tries, unless I have conflicts or my tivos are full that day.

This has been the year I watched BY FAR the fewest new shows, and I still gave most of them a try. I have purposely tried to "get into" fewer new shows (by having a higher quality bar), since I already have tons of old stuff already Tivoed & pay for Netflix already.

20. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    :up: I am going to check out American Dad, mentioned in your post. :)