Surprise reboot? - during FOX NFL broadcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gwar9999, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1 of 40
    gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Jan 15, 2007

Advertisements

Yesterday I was watching a live HD program (a FOX NFL game between the Niners and Seahawks, but I doubt that matters) and my TiVo S3 surprisingly rebooted (maybe I should thank it considering that game was soooo boring since I'm a fan of neither team). It was the first time this happened to me and in the event that this re-occurs is there something I should be looking at that might indicate the cause? When my TiVo rebooted several minutes later I didn't see any new system messages so I'm not sure where I would be able to find any information. The only thing I noticed, the amber and blue lights on the OLED remained illuminated for about a minute, then the blue light(s) disappeared and finally the amber a few moments later.

I searched this forum and only located threads of people having constant/frequent reboots-- so I don't think those would provide much info on a possible one-time reboot. Since this was the first time my TiVo self-rebooted (w/ the exception of when an update is downloaded and installed) I'm curious as to what might be the cause but also how one tracks down the cause after-the-fact.

FWIW, my TiVo is connected to a UPS (along w/ my TV and receiver which neither of those power-cycled at the same time) so I don't think a power spike/loss was the culprit.

2. Oct 1, 2007 #2 of 40
    Royek

Royek New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    FWIW I'll add another data point. Same spontaneous reboot Tivo HD, 8.1.7C2-02-3-652, swithing between 2 non HD channels. A few channels had mysteriously "disappeared" only minute prior.

3. Oct 1, 2007 #3 of 40
    hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    My S3 also rebooted right in the middle of the Niners game. It was recording a movie on the other tuner on SHO-HD and now have a partial recording. Never had this happen before.

4. Oct 1, 2007 #4 of 40
    Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Weird: exact same behavior and circumstance. I had the Fox game on one tuner and the CBS game on the other, and at about 3:35 it rebooted all by itself (I noted the time because the Steelers were coming on at 4:00).

It's never done this before. Must have been something in the signal. gwar: what cable co / region are you with?

5. Oct 1, 2007 #5 of 40
    Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...

Advertisements

Interesting.....I was wondering my 49er game recording was in two separate tivo recordings. It must have rebooted as well.

Eventhough I have a Series2, it was the FoxHD channel I was recording. They musta found a way to send a 'reboot tivo' signal.

6. Oct 1, 2007 #6 of 40
    Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Editted (because I was trying to be cheeky, but I'm sure it wouldn't be interpreted that way and I will be lectured about how what happened here is not, in fact, accurately and technically speaking, clearly an example of the actual behavior associated with the phenomenon I referred to.)
    ;)

7. Oct 1, 2007 #7 of 40
    hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    I'm on Comcast in SF Bay Area and I agree that something was in the data stream that the TiVo couldn't handle.

8. Oct 1, 2007 #8 of 40
    setanta

setanta New Member

Mar 31, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yup the exact same thing. The Niners were playing so badly I reckoned something was telling me to get off my ass and stop watching.

9. Oct 1, 2007 #9 of 40
    lmsyl

lmsyl New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Same here in Fremont CA. I was watching the recording with one hour delay. It was reboot in 4:30 PM. I thought I got 9.1x update, but nothing changed. I joked that the TIVOHD just passed the 30 days return period and started to give me some trouble. :p

10. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    What kind of error handling occurs (or NOT) that allows a digital signal to blow away a dvr?

I did not have this problem but a few weeks ago I was recording a show and trying to watch it. REBOOT spontaneously. When it came back on, I tuned in again, it was being recorded again and it IMPLODED again.

I cancelled the recording and tried watching the prior portion of the recording - another implosion. I then erased the two portions of the show. I have not had another similar problem.

This was OTA by the way, so it was not as if someone shot an exceptionally high dose of adrenalin or electricity at my tivo (S3 by the way)

11. old64mb

old64mb New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Actually, that's fascinating. I was worried it was my new 1 TB drive, but apparently I was in the queue along with the rest of the world for Fox's Niners-Seahawks sabotage.

How bizarre, but misery loves company.

12. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    Does the screen freeze up right before the reboot? My S3 started doing this last week, and a bunch of recordings I made that day and possibly other days can't be viewed without a freeze followed by a reboot.

--Debbie

13. old64mb

old64mb New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Nope, there was a commercial playing along nicely and suddenly...poof.

14. gary.atx

gary.atx New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    I've had some odd instances of reboots on Saturday. During the reboot, I'd eventually get to the Tivo Central menu and then the user interface would freeze and reboot about 4-5 minutes later.

I called Tivo first and they had me yank the CC's and everything seemed to be working (UI, recorded content, etc) so I put the cards back in and everything appeared to be working again once reauthorized.

Today - my system is doing it again (freezing/rebooting). I pulled the CC's out again and the Tivo UI is doing what it is supposed to - so now Time Warner Austin gets a call. I can only assume that I've got a bad card(s) - but after reading this forum its hard to determine if its that or Tivo's 9.1 update which I got late last week [or a combination of both].

15. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    A week ago, during the 3rd quarter of the Giants - Redskins game, my S3 rebooted itself. It took a good 5 minutes before it was operational and recording again. Having owned 6 Tivos over 7 years, this is a first. Maybe Tivo hates football? :D

FWIW, I'm recording analog cable, no cable cards. The Tivo is on an UPS, so it wasn't a power issue.

16. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    It happened to me during the Cowboys-Rams game on Fox. Sounds like a Fox glitch.

17. geodon005

geodon005 Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Mt....
    I agree about it being a Fox glitch; same thing happened during the Bears-Lions game.

18. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    Same here, at 2 1/2 hours into the Bears-Lions game-2:30PM central time.

19. szatkoff

szatkoff Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Des Plaines, IL
    I had this happen while watching the recording of the game. I believe it was sometime during the forth quarter, but it would have been around 4 or 4:30 in the afternoon for me.

20. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Mesquite Nevada
    First of all to the OP - the Seahawks game was important, as I am a fan.

During the fourth quarter, my S3 did not reboot, but there was a weekly comcast emergency broacast test that stopped the recording of the game and restarted a new recording after the test was complete. No evidence of the test banner on either recording. I think this happened around the same time others are saying the reboot happened.

Not sure if it is related, but just wanted to comment since timing appears to be the same.