Sure would be nice to join the 20.2 party

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jonhoffm, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jonhoffm

jonhoffm New Member

May 7, 2008
    Having a Premiere and a Premiere XL, it sure would be nice for one/both of them to get the update. I have manually forced connections to TiVo but do not get the update. Also interesting that TiVo.com lists 14.9.2 as the current software version.

This has happened to me on other Tivo updates where I seem to be down on their pecking order somehow (probably as a long-time customer).

Is there any way to get the update other than manual connection and hope?

2. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I'm also waiting for the update. See this thread as to how to get this update early. Apparently if you join Twitter and follow this lady you'll get the update sooner ... maybe ... I'll pass on that and just wait. I have Lifetime on both my Premiere's. I love Tivo's product but the way they run the company leaves me cold. I don't think I'm alone in these opinions.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=481340

3. jonhoffm

jonhoffm New Member

May 7, 2008
    Thanks xberk. I guess that explains it. I can just wait as well.

I wish that they would make it clear in their press release or on their support site that the update will, or may, take 2-3 weeks to arrive to TiVo Premiere. That way, those of us only in the loop enough to know about the update but not about the "priority list" won't waste time trying to figure out what's going on.

In any event, I am looking forward to seeing the new version whenever that may be.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Looks like you are late to the party. Tivo used their normal update process (drop an update, make sure it works in the real world, update remaining boxes in ~two week).

However, this time they solicited TSNs from twitter (and on this board) for volunteers to receive the software through a manual process . The cut off for such requests was yesterday. Had to be a cut off at some point, no coldness about it.

5. comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    If you have a cute puppy or can write poetry, there may still be time!

6. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Submitted my request via e-mail on Saturday still no update. Oh well, can't win them all.

Got the new IMG on my Verizon DVR today, so I guess 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

7. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma

Just got the update...Two for two is better.:)

Maybe I should run out and buy a lottery ticket!!

8. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Margret must have an email rule that loads TSNs into the database... I emailed her yesterday lunchtime and the box was pending restart when I got home... :)

9. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Yeah I didnt join twitter. I just sent her an email at like 4 am this past monday. At 5 pm I forced an update and got 20.2.

10. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Ok, so normally the update rolls out over a month or so. They do this so that in case there are any last minute bugs they didn't catch in the beta process, they catch them before it hits EVERY TiVo out there. If that happened, you'd probably be even more upset.

This time around, one of TiVo's Vice Presidents has brought back the practice of the "priority update" meaning you could submit your TSN for getting the update early. I believe she had the list open for nearly a week. It was publicized on her Twitter feed but it was also publicized here. She's since closed the list (since the engineering team needs to get back to engineering and not typing in TSNs all day). There was more than enough notice, but unfortunately for whatever reason you guys missed it.

This isn't due to TiVo's "mismanagement", it's due to you missing the window. For a while TiVo didn't even do the priority list, so this is a welcome change. And, the practice of rolling out updates slowly is an industry wide practice. There is literally no service provider out there--DirecTV, Dish Network, or any of the cable companies--that will push an update 100% all at once. It just does not happen.

11. cardgone

cardgone New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    midwest
    So what email address did you use for her? Margret.Schmidt at tivo.com? Which email address can be used to request this? Could you PM me if you don't feel comfortable giving it out?

12. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
  13. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    She is not taking priority upgrade requests anymore (and hasn't for about a week now). The update will be fully rolled out to everyone, priority or not, by the end of next week.

14. jonhoffm

jonhoffm New Member

May 7, 2008
    Joe - I am not upset about not getting the update since finding out what the deal is. I wasted some time trying to get it because I do not follow them on Twitter or monitor these forums; and because I was under the impression that the software was released. Note that TiVo's press release is itself somewhat misleading on this point. While it does not specifically state that the release is available, it does give that impression IMO. I guess my only advice to TiVo would be to point out exactly what you stated or clarify that the new release is in final beta and will most likely be available within the next 2-3 weeks. Like I said, I don't really care that much either way. I have 2 Premiere boxes and I like them, I have always been a TiVo fan. Obviously, I only follow these things close enough to be dangerous.

But the thing is, some people hear that "TiVo just made some major updates to their software and interface which has added several new features." Then they go out and buy one, go through the process of getting it activated, maybe find out they need to buy a separate Wifi adapter, commit to a service plan, set it up and only then to find out that the software is not really available yet and you will have to wait an indeterminite amount of time for the new software. They would only find this out by finding these forums and digging through threads. The last thing TiVo needs is a frustrated new customer.

Contrast this with Apple (probably a lot of crossover between TiVo and Apple customers). Apple shows off its new OS and clarifies, we are finalizing it and will make it available in/on [date]. Their 10/4/11 press release re: iOS 5, among other things, makes it clear that it would be available on 10/12/11. You might argue, "Well Apple is a huge company and TiVo is not, you can't expect TiVo to think of everything. I would prefer they hire programmers instead of PR professionals." I would agree with this, but it is not hard to see what others announce and copy it. In fact, it would be easier than doing it from scratch.

I made no accusation of "mismanagement" as you seem to think, but I would say that the announcement was "miscommunicated" a bit. That is all.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Apple products probably out number TiVo products by at least two orders of magnitude.

16. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Some clarifications: The TiVo software is not in "final beta", it is currently being rolled out. It is being released publicly. TiVo has never, ever pushed the software out to 100% of their boxes immediately when they do an update. No TV set top box provider has ever done that, not even Google TV. TiVo and most technology companies in the television business do a gradual rollout.

It will be completely rolled out by the end of next week, how is that such a delay that if you bought a box, called in to support and they told you you'd get it in a week that you'd reconsider your purchase? If you go to Tivo's website they don't even mention the update, you have to dig down into the press release area to find it. They never intimated that this was immediately available to all DVRs, so I don't think it was miscommunicated.

17. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    @tivodesign/Margret Schmidt tweeted last night: "I expect full rollout at the end of next week."

18. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I assume Tivo releases update to a sellect few user to find any bugs in the works before letti it loose to the general public

19. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Yes, this is known to be what they do. They even offered to give it to people that requested it. They have said for the next release, they will probably have the Priority list backup. They weren't expecting the kind of positive response they got from their users from this release.

20. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Since I just got my Elite last night and set it up this morning, I am guessing I will be pretty far down the priority list for this update. Is it worth pinging anyone at TiVo at this point to get it sooner.