Superstore

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mattack, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dec 1, 2015 #1 of 76
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Did anybody watch this show last night?

It had the guy from "A to Z", and America Ferrara, along with several other sitcom people I've seen over the years.

This is VERY much a backhanded compliment.. Maybe I was way too starved for comedy, but I laughed a lot at these shows. It does seem more like the kind of show you see on TNT though -- cheap seeming workplace comedy, but still funny.

I didn't search, but I presume they made all of these they're going to air, and are just burning them off?

They aired 2, say one more is available On Demand, and a couple more start in IIRC January. Explore this show only showed 5 episodes total.

2. Dec 2, 2015 #2 of 76
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    They were originally ordered to make 13 episodes but the network cut that down to 11, so I'm thinking don't expect more than that. Mark McKinney was one of the great comedians from Kids in the Hall back in the day.

3. Dec 2, 2015 #3 of 76
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    The first 2 episodes were painfully bad.

I will say I got fooled by some of the early commercials for the show and thought some superstore had actually gotten America Ferrara and some of the other cast members to be spoke people, so I had high hopes.

It was not good.

4. Dec 2, 2015 #4 of 76
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I watched the first one and deleted the second one. I also had high hopes based on the little clips I've seen. But as is often the case those clips were the only funny parts.

5. Dec 2, 2015 #5 of 76
    nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I really wanted to like this show. I love America Ferrara and I spent 20 years working retail, some of it in a big box store. The characters seemed more like caricatures, and were so overly exaggerated I found them painful to watch.

I don't know if I'm just getting old, or if humor has changed that much since shows like Night Court and Barney Miller. I miss smart humor.

6. Dec 2, 2015 #6 of 76
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    America Ferrara also got a producer credit on the pilot.
    How much producing she did is up to debate though.

The creator, Justin Spitzer, previously worked as a writer and producer on the Office.
    And I think he's giving NBC what they want as this seems to be another version of the Office, but set in a Superstore and not a paper supplier.

Sure, it's not shot documentary style but I can already tell that Jonah and Amy are being set up for a Jim and Pam style arc (did you miss her putting on her ring at the end of the pilot?).

Dwight seems to split between Dina and Mateo.
    Glenn = Michael Scott.
    Cheyenne = Kelly and/or Erin.
    Garrett - Darryl.

It's not horrible but from the first two episodes, it's nothing great either.
    I may watch the third one online later this week.

7. Dec 2, 2015 #7 of 76
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OK, different senses of humor I guess.. though as I did say, I felt guilty laughing at it so much since it seemed like it shouldn't've been as funny as it was.

Will keep watching it though.

8. Dec 2, 2015 #8 of 76
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Hey, those two shows are *several orders of magnitude* better than this one, but those had plenty of dumb humor. In fact, seems to me like Night Court was not really smart humor. (Bull is dumb, Laroquette's character is a sleaze ball, etc., were repeated simple jokes..)

9. Dec 3, 2015 #9 of 76
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Repulsed by the over the top caricatures and lack of believability of the pilot. And I used to love shows like WKRP and Night Court, but I think even those shows were more believable than this. Maybe part of it is as a person familiar with the St. Louis metro area I found it so stupid and insulting. Having typed that, I thought the second episode was much better. Putting out of my mind the distance between this setting and reality I was able to enjoy some of the slapstick humor.

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Sort of reminded me of 10 Items or Less. But that show was unfunny because it relied heavily on improv.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Ask anybody who ever worked in radio--we all worked at WKRP at one time or another, just in different markets under different call signs.

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It insulted St. Louis? I guess I missed that part.

13. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Actually, it insulted the human race.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Finally got to this show and was pretty disappointed. The biggest problem I had was that so many of the characters were so stupid and unbelievable. Any store manager like that would have been fired a long time ago. The LP was over the top gung who, the rapper boy friend was cringe worthy. I thought Ben Feldman and America Ferrera's characters were fairly normal, but you know, this being TV, they will hook up eventually (assuming the show lasts that long). The thing is, if this show was written with "smarter" characters (and I don't mean with bigger IQs just more realistically) there's so much material they could use. Having a wife and son who work in big box stores, I hear all the stories. There's plenty there. To me the funniest scenes were the little snippets where they showed customer doing stupid customer stuff.

15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    lol!

16. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Is that his voice now or was he putting that on? Very annoying.

17. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The thought occurred to me that NBC is viewing this show (and Telenovela) as Mid Winter replacement fodder, much like how ABC uses Agent Carter and Galavant.

If it takes off, great.
    If not, well, at least we didn't have to sacrifice one of our better projects.

18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Mark is doing a character. He sounds like a regular guy IRL. If you catch some old clips of Kids in the Hall (KitH) you will see a number of different characters Mark was famous for creating (e.g., Chicken Lady, Darrill, the Head Crusher, etc.). He has a background in improv where many of these characters were born and later developed for Lorne Michaels television projects.

19. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Renewed for a second season!

I don't know if anyone here is still watching. This has developed into a solid sitcom. Great characters, very funny. Excited that it was renewed!

20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It has. It was okay for the pilot. Second show was not good but it is hitting stride. This week's episode was funny and touching all at once. I find myself caring about the characters.