Superstore - Season Six (2020/2021) *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Nov 6, 2020 #1 of 21
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Superstore, season six. Usual rules, don't post spoilers before the episode airs. Individual threads are always welcome, but this gives us a place to discuss it as the season progresses.

One of my favorite shows is back. Hard to believe this was "iffy for renewal" when it first aired, and now we're on S6.

2. Nov 6, 2020 #2 of 21
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Last night was S6E2, and the 100th episode. But sadly, the last one with America Ferrera. She was why I originally started watching S1E1, back in November 2015, five years ago. Loved Ugly Betty, and was looking forward to her new sitcom. Superstore has come a long way, with arguably the best current ensemble cast on broadcast sitcom TV.

Having said that, she is (was) the core of the show, and I have no idea how it will work without her. Guess we'll find out!

It was a sad episode, and felt more like a series finale than an E2. Loved seeing the pictures at the end, of the cast from early in the series run. They were so young!

3. Nov 6, 2020 #3 of 21
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I loved Cheyenne saying to Amy, (paraphrasing) - You've been like a second mom to me, and your leaving is like saying, "Cheyenne, you know everything now..." :D

And when Amy told Cheyenne that she could call her anytime, Cheyenne said, "I'll text you..." (lol-Amy's old!) :D:p

Mateo harmonizing with himself! :p

Donbadabon and astrohip like this.
  4. Nov 6, 2020 #4 of 21
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    This episode had some good giggles but it took a sad tone overall, for obvious and good reasons. I'll miss the Amy Sosa character but am interested in seeing the direction the show will take. Amy was definitely not a good manager, but her heart was always in the right place.

5. Nov 6, 2020 #5 of 21
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

For some reason my TiVo didn't record this episode, so I had to find it by other means.

I agree with the sad tone, and I loved the goodbye video.

Mateo - "Shh! Guys! This is the best part!"

6. Nov 6, 2020 #6 of 21
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Blame Tivo and a last minute screwup by them. It was set as new and when "Connecting" got cancelled earlier this week (and reruns of Superstore in its place) Tivo updated with the rerun that was shown at 7:31 (CST) guide for the new show that was on at 7 (and still showed Connecting in the guide)

Donbadabon likes this.
  7. Nov 6, 2020 #7 of 21
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You may want to visit the other portion of the tv section of this forum. The season pass notices.

8. Nov 6, 2020 #8 of 21
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It went as expected. Glenn becomes the store manager again, Jonah doesn't go to California (I figured they'd try doing a long distance, but instead they broke up). I fully expect Mateo to wind up with Amy's old job full time. It might have been better if they brought in a new store manager, just to add something new and different into the mix. Maybe eventually.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  9. Nov 6, 2020 #9 of 21
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    1st episode i ever seen, but agree lousy send off for her

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm not sure anyone was saying it was a lousy episode. Just sad. Last one with Amy Sosa. :(

11. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Whatever happened to Amy's daughter? I am re-watching Season 1, and she is there. But I don't remember if they wrote her off, or if she went to live with her dad. With Amy moving to CA, I'd think that her daughter would be a consideration unless they just wrote her off the show.

12. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Her daughter is moving with her to California. Jonah mentioned it right at the beginning of this week's episode.

She was never a regular character on the show. IMDB shows the actress as appearing in 7 episodes over the years, with the last one being last October.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Donbadabon likes this.
  13. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Curious, what made you decide to jump in right now?

14. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I agree with all of this.

15. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I was, but mainly because it means Amy's gone. Jonah won't be enough for me and I'll just let the episodes pile up. Maybe move them to the Bolt.

16. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Really? I thought she was. What must you have thought of that buffoon Glenn?

17. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    No comments on Episode 1? I haven't seen a lot of sitcom episodes the included the virus, but this show's first episode was hilarious and maybe the best sitcom episode on the topic once all of them have aired.

18. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    What I think of Glenn has no bearing on my assessment of Amy as a manager. Amy was a good person and wanted to do right by the people she managed. I will say that she's good as a manager in that she is loyal to her people. And she is a good employee as she's creative and forward thinking. But she wasn't a good manager in terms of making sure her people understood clearly what they had to do and that when she makes a decision they need to abide by it whether they agree with it or not. But not being a good manager is fine in the fictional world, as it made for more interesting story lines.

19. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Right. She wasn't a tough manager.

I just felt she knew what she was doing compared to Glenn, and if things didn't get done right, that was usually corporate's fault.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's a sitcom. Having an a-hole manager wouldn't have been as funny. So first you had Glenn who was basically a terrible manager who was weak and let employees walk all over him. Then you had Amy who was more friend than manager. Compare this to a show like Brooklyn 99 where you have a tougher manager who played off the minions who worked for him, but he garnered respect because he had their back. But that works better in a police precinct than in a retail store.

I think the show can work without Amy, but I'm not quite sure if making Glenn manager again is the way to go. I look at a show like MASH where the head of the outfit left and they replaced him with a different type. Maybe that's what Superstore needs, a different type of manager, one who maybe is tough at first but then develops into a respected manager.

Family likes this.