1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superstore Season Four Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Oct 5, 2018 #1 of 62
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Back for a fourth season. One of my favorite shows. Loved the cold open, with Amy working in a diner.

At least A-Hole and J-Bone aren't hiding their feelings for each other, even if they are hiding them from the others (which won't stay hidden long).

I could have done without the 14 year old kid scenes though. Couldn't they have made him 18? Just seems a tad creepy to me.

Favorite line (of many): When Dina asks if Glenn needs the corporate video on sexual harassment, he tells her it’s no longer applicable. “The old videos don’t apply anymore,” he says. “We are living in a brave new, #MeToo, #TimesUp, This Is Us-kind of world!”

tivotvaddict, mattack and Steveknj like this.
  2. Oct 5, 2018 #2 of 62
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    (Back to School Sale)
    Sorry, DVDs of “Back to School” still regular price.

mattack and unclehonkey like this.
  3. Oct 5, 2018 #3 of 62
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I still love the little vignettes between scenes.

tivotvaddict and photoshopgrl like this.
  4. Oct 5, 2018 #4 of 62
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Great start to the season. And nice to see that A-hole and J-bone are still together.

5. Oct 5, 2018 #5 of 62
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    That line was funny!

I do too

6. Oct 5, 2018 #6 of 62
    59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I still love this show too.

Virtual Myrtle was ridiculous, in a mostly good way, right?

Steveknj likes this.
  7. Oct 8, 2018 #7 of 62
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This show just gets better and better. This episode had us rolling. Funniest sitcom episode of the year so far.

8. Oct 8, 2018 #8 of 62
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I know it's October already but didn't realize the new seasons have started. I was happy to see this on my NPL, and it was another very funny episode. The opening with the greasy spoon in the rain, with Glenn doing a poor job disguising himself and giving Amy $20 tips on $2 coffee he doesn't drink was great on many levels. Virtual Myrtle is creepily fun.

tivotvaddict and Steveknj like this.
  9. Oct 8, 2018 #9 of 62
    sfenton

sfenton Member TCF Club

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    She put chocolate syrup in his coffee. Is that really a thing people do?

10. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Seems like something Glenn would do ;)

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This show is so underrated. It's a great example of a show that can be ironic, smart and funny and not have to be dark and edgy.

DancnDude likes this.
  12. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Isn't that basically the Starbucks business model?

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Starbucks business model is to make lousy bitter coffee, charge about 50x what it costs them a cup to make, make coffee seem like some fancy bar drink, and appeal to those who love anything that is "trendy". The ONLY coffee drink that I think they make better than anyone else, is their Frappacinios. For some reason, nobody seems to have been able to make that type of drink as well (either two watery, to thick or whatever). But since they are just horribly bad for you, I only get one of these a couple of times a year.

14. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I couldn't make is through even half of the first season. Did it get better?

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I guess it depends on your reason for not liking it. I don't think the tenor or tone of the series is any different. We know the characters better which helps. I liked it from the beginning and it's only gotten better.

16. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Perhaps it's juts not my cup of tea. :)

mattack likes this.
  17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's funny.. I started the first thread about this show here. I think this show is funny, and underrated.. but I *do* think it's LARGELY a "typical sitcom". In other words, I think this is a well done "typical sitcom", but don't really think it's all that "smart". Most of the characters are fairly one dimensional stereotypes.

I guess I mostly just think this is higher than average, but it's not way out there (like the show that I have the next tab in my browser to read, "The Good Place").

Oh yeah, and did the dumb girl break up with her boyfriend? Since he's on another (much worse) show now, "I Feel Bad". (I like the main actress on that show though.)

18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I do agree it's a typical sitcom, but I also think it's a lot smarter than it lets on. Sure the characters are sort of typical, but there is a lot little shots at corporate America, at life working in retail, at some of our morals, and yes, it's very well written. Like I said, it's proof that you don't need to be dark and edgy and completely sarcastic about everything in order to be funny.

19. tivooop

tivooop Member

Oct 10, 2004
    St. Louis
    imdb only shows him being in 9 episodes of Superstore, so he's far from a regular. He was one of the main characters in Son or Zorn, while it was running at the same time as Superstore, so he's capable of doing other things.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I totally didn't remember that he was the kid in Son of Zorn.. That show is one I recorded all of, and IIRC is still on Hulu.. and I keep meaning to get back to it since it was not very good but kind of wacky (in a good way)..