Supernatural S6: The Re-Boot (spoilers abound)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DreadPirateRob, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1 of 50
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal

Advertisements

Ok - so maybe reboot isn't entirely accurate. Most of what happened in the seasons prior still happened, except for some reason Sam got yanked out of Hell, and Samuel Campbell got pulled down (from Heaven, presumably), after being dead for nearly 40 years. I can accept all of that without too much suspension of disbelief - there is certainly a precedent for the death and resurrection of a key character, especially Sam (if I count correctly, this is the 6th time that Sam has died and then been resurrected, although only twice were those deaths presumed to be permanent).

But, still, there is a noticeable difference in the tone of the show from the earlier seasons when serires creator Eric Kripke was the show-runner, and so far, it's not for the better. I didn't think the first two eps of this season were terrible by any stretch, but so far (two episodes in) it's missing the trademark dark/dry humor that so embodies the show and the relationship between Sam and Dean. As dark as the show became last season, it still had plenty of moments where I had a good chuckle. What humor there was in the second ep ("Two and Half Men") stemmed from Dean as Daddy, and while it had its moments, it was still.... different.

Other seasons have started slowly/poorly, and then rebounded to finish with a bang, so there is still hope for this one. Plus, I enjoy the main characters far too much to give up on it, so I'll continue to watch until the bitter end.

What say you?

2. Oct 4, 2010 #2 of 50
    sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I've noticed a different tone too. I'm hoping that the reasons for this are that there haven't been many scenes with Sam and Dean together hunting, and no scenes with the Impala. I'm reserving judgment until next week when the impala comes out and the hunting begins.

Oh also Castiel will be back for ep3 so hopefully getting the band back together will help the tone.

3. Oct 4, 2010 #3 of 50
    retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    I've missed the car, Castiel, and the attitude. Everybody just seems so darned burned out now. I'm hoping this is just a slow start because of coming off of the "we just defeated the devil" high. I want to see the kid become a hunter, or do something else interesting. I'd like to see the GF with fewer clothes. You know, just to check for demon tatoos or the like. ;)

4. Oct 4, 2010 #4 of 50
    jeetkunedo

jeetkunedo Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Yeah, it definitely feels different. I think part of it is that Sam and Dean never really had a home or friends/co-workers (aside from Bobbie on both counts, and the Roadhouse for a short while). Now Dean has a home and family, and Sam has a base and a gang.

I was actually glad one of the hunters got killed last episode, but was hoping all of them would.... But I too will watch until the bitter end, and hope it gets better! :)

5. Oct 4, 2010 #5 of 50
    jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004

Advertisements

I think it feels different, but I'm not ready to say it IS different, (if that makes sense.) It seems like part of the storyline so far is HOW different things are now, but I expect it to start moving towards the more familiar "Sam and Dean on the hunt together" formula. I told my wife at the end of last episode, "Want to bet Sam's car gets totaled next episode?" It seems like it can only be a matter of time, right?:D

6. Oct 4, 2010 #6 of 50
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think the fact that nobody has really questioned how bizarre the situation is is a plot-point, not a glide-past. I think the fact that Sam and Gramps are back, with a bunch of hitherto unknown cousins, is far more significant than we've been led to believe, exactly BECAUSE nobody is making a big deal of it, or even making a feeble attempt to explain it.

My feeling is that the main storyline for this season has so far been stealthy, and that once it emerges these early episodes are going to be seen in a much different light. Which is kind of a daring narrative strategy for what is effectively a series re-launch (hiding what the show is actually about), but hey, I'm there for the ride.

7. Oct 4, 2010 #7 of 50
    jeetkunedo

jeetkunedo Member

Jul 24, 2006
    I agree; I'm cautiously optimistic. Interesting that Sam wouldn't say what happened to him in Hell, especially since Dean shared his story. He said he wasn't there for very long, but even if it was 3 "earth" days, that would be about a year in "hell time". And what exactly are Sam, gramps, and the gang up to, that they're not sharing with Dean?

8. Oct 4, 2010 #8 of 50
    DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Y'know, come to think of it, it kind of has a Buffy S5 feel to it, doesn't it?

9. Oct 4, 2010 #9 of 50
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You mean Ben's with Glory?

10. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Actually, I was thinking of the introduction of Dawn, and how, at least on the show, it was treated for the first few eps as if she had always been there.

11. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    There are all kinds of bad. So bad it's good; bad on purpose; bad, seemingly, because we're going to explain later on how it's really, subtly, good.

Your insight, and it could turn out to be profound, is that it's not just that it's bad, but that none of the characters seem to be noticing how bad it is. That's deep.

Personally, I think it's just bad. As in just going through the motions to collect a few final paychecks bad. "Bizarre" is flattering; I'd choose "inane."

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I know. I just couldn't resist.

Spike was made for moments like that! :D
    You may be right.

Here's hoping you're wrong!

13. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    For the new showrunner to do something like that would be a real Gamble. ;) I really hope you are right, because Supernatural was one of my favorite shows. I find myself thinking of last season as the series finale, with this season basically just an extra bonus (so far, not a great one). While I'm prepared to give the new season the benefit of the doubt, there are a few technical things that just seem too clumsy and wrong to be excused as "daring narrative strategy," for me. For example, music has always been one of Supernatural's strengths. Not just the principal hard-rockin' songs, but also the background music. This season there have been parts of the show with background music that would fit better in a Lifetime movie. Just weird. There's also been weird cinematography -- the way Episode 2 ended, with montage of Dean at the Metallicar, was particularly groan-enducing and was not the type of thing we regularly saw previously. Both episodes this season also have resorted to very hackneyed horror tropes (eg. investigate a strange noise. No, just a cat. THEN jump cut to the killer. Boo!). Supernatural used to be generally above that type of thing. Now, it seems to be relying on it.

I think that Kripke really wanted to fully close out his story last season. He was forced to keep it open and so left an implausible twist at the end (Sam's reappearance) for Gamble to pick up and run with. She's picked it up in pretty much the only way she can; by hanging a lampshade on it and having the characters admit that his reappearance doesn't make sense. Having done that, and spending two episodes getting things back to reset-position (Dean's family pushed to the background, Sam and Dean together again with the Metallicar and the open road in the foreground), I expect the rest of the season will be "classic" Supernatural that's more akin to Season 1 then the complex mythology we've come to expect. I don't think (though now that Rob's mentioned it, I hope) that we're seeing a Buffy/Dawn-type situation here.

Edited to add: I'm a wee bit more hopeful, having just read this interview with Gamble.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The thing that makes me suspicious is that they're not even trying to explain all this weird stuff that's going on. And I think if we were just supposed to accept it, they would have given us SOMETHING to go by. So I'm pretty sure that something is going on that we just don't know about yet, involving the return of Sam and Samuel, plus the mysterious appearance of cousins nobody knew existed. And for some reason, Dean just isn't asking the questions that would normally be just bursting out of him. Not necessarily a Buffy-style rewrite of reality, but some magical force that is preventing him (and Sam, if Sam is really Sam, which I'm not convinced of) from questioning what's happening.

I think the "classic Supernatural" vibe you refer to is a feint. They're up to something much bigger. I think. Maybe.

15. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I don't believe that they are ignoring the fact that it's strange that Sam and Grandpa are back at all. It just hasn't been the focus of the first two eps. We saw Dean seriously question them in the first ep, and in the second, it was clear that Dean doesn't trust Grandpa. Dean asked about Castiel in the first ep. And in the second ep we saw that Grandpa is up to something shady (Well the first ep with Djinns too, I guess).

I don't believe that they will ignore the resurrections for the whole season. I'm actually expecting one of the first things Dean asks Castiel next episode is if he knows anything about it.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But it SHOULD have been. Dean wouldn't throw over his entire new life without knowing for damn sure that the people he's following are the people he's following, and not supernatural impostors. Yet that's exactly what he's done.

I say something fishy is going on. With Dean as well as with Sam and Samuel.

17. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Unless I missed something, i don't see how he's thrown over his entire new life for THEM. I see it as he's made some changes based on his brother being back and stuff chasing him, but the rest of the "family" hasn't seems to be much of a factor in the decisions he's made.

18. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Not sure how I feel about this season's story arc but The Third Man (6x03) definitely had it's moments. Perhaps Cass was the ingredient that this season needed.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He was a riot.

I suspect Ben Edlund's secret fantasy is a Casiel spin-off, that Ben can write every episode of.

20. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The show is missing the comedy.
    I put up with the extreme seriousness last season thinking that was going to be the end of the story, and it was obvious it wasn't going to be a happy ending so it worked for the story.

Now that they've added a season, they really need to lighten things up. Throwing Cas on Sam's car, and Sam whimpering "my car!" wasn't enough.