Supernatural - "First Born" - 1/21/14

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Jan 22, 2014.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I really liked this episode in spite of the fact that the boys were separated. I enjoyed Cas FINALLY apologizing to Sam. Yes, it was a blanket apology for everything and anything he's done but for the first time it felt sincere to me and it was just him and Sam. Usually it's Dean he apologize to. I have been bitter since Season 6 of him breaking Sam's wall and this helped me over that.

And Sam. He really doesn't get just how special he is. He makes me sad how willing to sacrifice himself he is lately. I want the Sam that was telling Dean last season "I see the light and if you come with me I can take you to it". I want him to fight to live not fight others about it. But he did seem to take in what Cas said to him so we'll see!

Cain is awesome. I hope that's not the last of him we see. I loved him silencing Crowley. I also loved him just sitting shucking corn while Dean is fighting demons all of the kitchen. And Crowley just continues to be awesome. "You're good but I'm Crowley" :up:

That mark has me both concerned and excited. I think Dean is finally getting a piece of the mytharc and maybe just MAYBE Sam can be the hero saving Dean for once. Please let that be how this is going!!! Jared said in an interview it was going to takes something big for these brothers this time. Well doesn't get much bigger than this.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I thought this was an all-around great episode. Everything just clicked. Crowley turned out to be a scumbag (charming, but still scummy after all these years!), Cain was an interesting addition (I wonder what the consequences of Dean getting the mark are...does he have superpowers now?), Cas is Cas, all the relationships are firing on all cylinders (the reactions to Dean and Crowley teaming up, and their return reactions, were priceless), it was just...Supernatural at its best. Which we really haven't seen for a while, so yay.

3. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I'm a little concerned that the mark will make Dean turn against Sam, or at the least be more willing to sacrifice him.

4. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Wow. Of course!

This episode was pretty good. A little too serious for my taste, but moved things along.

The guy who played Cain seemed SO familiar to me and it bugged me throughout the episode until I finally placed him. He's Timothy Omundson who plays Lassiter on Psych.

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Damn good episode.

What does bother me is that Dean just took the Mark without even hearing about any of the (potentially) negative consequences.

I realize that Dean's guilt plays into this and manifests itself as "You gotta do what you gotta do" but methinks they'll be some things down the line that he didn't expect.

I am glad that Dean realized that Crowley was pulling the strings all along.
    (I did wonder how that demon sat next to them at the bar without Crowley noticing him.)

And speaking of guilt, we know Sam's been carrying a buttload of it since that whole Lucifer business and I was glad to see Castiel talk to him about his self sacrifice thing.
    Excellent scenes all around.

And Timothy Omundson rocked as Cain.
    (Did you know he played a Jesus like prophet on Xena?)

6. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I always remember him from Judging Amy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523UTy2yfJg

and, OMG, while I was searching for a video clip I found this

http://youtu.be/GHlscL9TD9A?t=8m29s

I completely forgot he was on that show

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Lassie! I hope Timothy Omundson has a recurring role on Supernatural because I'm having a hard time figuring out why I'm still watching Psych.

Great episode. Crowley was awesome as usual.

It's a staple on tv shows but I needles in the neck give me the heebie-jeebies.

8. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    It amazes me that Supernatural continues to be able to churn out great episodes, so many years into its run. I really enjoyed this one.

Way back in the first episode of season 4 (the first episode with Castiel, in fact), Dean starts the episode fresh out of Hell with a red handprint on his arm. For the longest while, I thought that that was supposed to be an allusion to the mark of Cain, if not the literal mark itself. It made sense in context, what with brothers' relationship. But the show never got around to developing a storyline for the mark other than briefly explaining it was from where Castiel grabbed Dean when pulling him out of Hell, and as far as I know Dean doesn't even have that handprint on him anymore. I guess, five seasons later, the show finally got around to giving him a proper real one.

9. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    The handprin led to me of my favorite serious Case lines.

Cash to Dean: "That is where I gripped you tight and pulled you from Perdition."

10. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    I'm so used to Lassie on Psych that somehow, Omundson playing Cain doesn't do it for me. Especially that last scene with Colette. I guess I don't take him seriously.

But the episode itself was great. Lots of Cas and Crowley. What more can you ask for?

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I had that problem too.

He was easier to take seriously on Jericho. I don't know if it was because Psych hadn't been around that long, or if Lassiter has gotten sillier over time.