Supermarket Sweep

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mattack, Oct 19, 2020.

1. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

I don't think I watched the 90s version, but was aware of it. Though I guess I didn't know the rules, since I had thought the 'prize' was to go through the "store" to fill up the cart and keep what was in the cart.. (though this article says they did it on the very orig version?)

Plus, it seems like everyone would easily figure out the optimal way to get the most value in the cart.. (and they can go back for more carts??)

anyway, this article is interesting..

How Supermarket Sweep keeps its produce fresh and its shelves stocked

(I will watch again, at least in quick mode.. I watched Card Sharks as a kid, but now realize it's boring.. never really got into To Tell the Truth though I think I watched that as a kid too.. so that's at least two revivals I haven't been watching. I have been watching the Hollywood Squares and Match Game eps.. at least since finding out about the quick mode speedup.. so watching at like 1.7x. I have several seasons of Match Game in SD I hadn't watched though.)

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I thought it was ok. I enjoy game shows, and think was another fun one. I almost liked the question round better than the wacky running around shopping.

Thanks for the article, it was interesting on how they created the show. Very cool!

3. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    What is this about? The trailers just remind me of Guy's Grocery Games on Food Network.

4. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Not to be THAT guy, but I'm curious what you're watching that you think is Hollywood Squares :)

realityboy likes this.
  5. Grasshopper AZ

Grasshopper AZ Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Glendale, AZ

Advertisements

We watched it. I liked the original and while this one was OK, I didn't really like Leslie Jones as the host. I am not a fan of the yelling and "over the top" reactions. We will give it a couple of more episodes to see where it ends up. We love To Tell The Truth, Match Game, Celebrity Family Feud and $100,000 Pyramid and watch them every time they are on, mainly because we love the games and the hosts. Time will tell with Super Market Sweep I guess.

6. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    The contestants answer food/brand questions in order to bank up time for the "sweep" round. Then they race around the store and put whatever they want into their cart, with some special items being available to get for bonus money. At the end of time, the team who had the highest value of "groceries" and bonuses win and go to the bonus round. In that round, they solve riddles/questions that lead to products in the store. Find the first, which has a question leading to the second, etc. The more they find, the more money they win, but if their time runs out they lose.

mattack likes this.
  7. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    oops, that was a brainfart while I was typing.. I was really THINKING of Celebrity Family Feud.

lambertman likes this.
  8. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You watched the one in 1965? (ok I AM being that guy)

lambertman likes this.
  9. Grasshopper AZ

Grasshopper AZ Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    OK, maybe not the original....... The one from the 80's or 90's. I didn't even know there was one in the 60's

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    The 1960s version was shot in actual supermarkets (both the 1990s version and the current one use a set):

11. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Wow, I thought it was a new concept when USA aired it! Fascinating.

The reason I loved it was watching the contestants fall all over themselves to shop, it was like Black Friday is now. Or watching contestants get their ingredients on Masterchef.