Superman & Lois: S1E3 (3/9/21)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by HarleyRandom, Mar 10, 2021.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

I'm really starting to enjoy this show.

I can't believe Jordan is playing football but he's really good. Tom Welling's Clark also played football and had a similar problem. It has been so long I don't even recall how much he had to hold back using his super strength.

And Lois has run into the big problems of small town newspapers. Too many fluff stories, not enough ability to research big important stories.

Superman broke the wall at that motel. Who's going to pay for it?

On a related note, when the kids asked for an allowance increase, where is Clark going to get the money? And Lois probably isn't bringing in much right now.

Oh, I see, Clark is an assistant football coach now. Although at my high school I think the coaches also had to teach. Now on "Reba", Reba's ex was a coach but he was a dentist and didn't teach at the school.

And I see Clark pretends to have trouble with heavy loads.

Cheerleaders are supposed to wear sexy outfits! Even for practice!

Sarah doesn't want to cheer any more. And her mom is the coach? Actually, that would be enough reason right there.

I have yet to get a good look at Clark's truck but it's a '70, '71 or '72. Since we haven't really seen it they could probably get away with using any of those and we wouldn't notice.

jasrub likes this.
  2. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Still enjoying this show.

We saw a super strong dude, and a woman with heat vision kill him. Are either of these people in the CW universe? I'm assuming there are other people from Krypton in the CW universe or something? Other than Supergirl.

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In the first season of Supergirl there were other Kryptonians on Earth plus Argo City should still be out there.
    But we don't know what these two are yet. That's part of the ongoing mystery of Morgan Edge and his machinations.
    Why does he have super powered people in his employ?
    (This also explains why Stacey Farber isn't a teacher at Smallville High.)

I am liking the relationship between Jonathan and Jordan quite a bit.
    It seems to ring true.

4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    This episode was almost entirely focused on the boys so I found it boring to watch as I’m not into high school dramas. I kept checking the time while watching this to see how much longer it was. You know something is wrong when you have to do that.

The 5 minutes of the episode that wasn’t focused on the boys was interesting though. I’m hoping someone puts together an abridged version of the show that edits out the boys.

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

Superman has always been more interesting on television.

6. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    Isn't Superman pretty much at his father-in-law's beck and call? Would it be reasonable to assume that the General sees that his family is taken care of??

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, he DID turn them down. Hard.

One thing that yanks me out of the story is every time they remind us that the kids are supposed to be 14. Uh...sure. OK. Anything you say. ;)

8. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
  9. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    This may not be the Superman for you, as the focus is seeing him as a family man, married and raising children.
    The young men playing Jonathon and Jordan are 19 and 16 respectively. By contrast, Tom Welling was 24 when Smallville premiered.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But at least Welling's Clark was acting like somebody the age of the character he was playing.

The twins (and their classmates) seem more like high school seniors, not junior high students. And I'm talking about what they do and their place in the community, not their physical appearance (which, as you say, is pretty standard for Hollywood high schoolers).

11. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Maybe, but this episode had very little of Lois or Clark in it. It was mostly about the boys and their high school drama.

12. hapster85

Sep 7, 2016
    Hmm ... Can't really agree with that assessment of Tom Welling's Clark. Don't get me wrong, I loved Smallville, but even just looking at the stills from the pilot episode on IMDb, you certainly wouldn't know you were looking at teenagers.

Anyway, that aspect of Superman & Lois isn't bothering me.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But again, I'm not talking about his appearance. I'm talking about his behavior. He was written more or less like a high school student.

And the problem with the kids on Superman & Lois is that they're written as high school students as well. Seniors, really. But they're supposed to be junior high students. And there's a pretty major difference...

hapster85 likes this.
  14. hapster85

Sep 7, 2016
    Guess I'm not really seeing that either. Jonathan and Jordan don't seem any more or less teenagery to me then Clark did in Smallville.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But they (well, Jonathan, anyway) and their peers are at the pinnacle of the high school social pyramid. Whereas 14-year-olds are basically the scum of the Earth in high school social pyramids...if they even exist.

Everything about their social strata screams "high school senior," not "14-year-old."

hapster85 likes this.
  16. hapster85

Sep 7, 2016
    Now that I get.