Superman & Lois: Pilot S1E1 (2/23/21)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, Feb 24, 2021.

1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

Figured I’d start a thread for the pilot of this new series. Overall though the pilot just didn’t do anything for me. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t really that good either and I’m not really liking the direction it’s going.

Having a Lex Luthor from what appears to be either the future or an alternate reality be the big bad makes sense, but it also feels like kind of a cop out.

Hopefully things get better.

It also doesn’t appear to be a part of the existing Arrowverse since in this version Lois and Clark have two twin boys, whereas in the Arrowverse they had a single son. The special talked about the Arrowverse where each show is part of a bigger whole, but then they mentioned starting fresh. They didn’t say outright that this isn’t part of the Arrowverse, but that’s the vibe (no pun intended) I got.

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I liked it for a pilot.

Oh. And at the end of Crisis in the arrow verse, Lois refers to the “boys” and Clark says “boys?”

morac and hapster85 like this.
  3. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I watched it, in the sense that the TV was on, and it was playing.

Absolutely nothing I saw on the screen grabbed me in any way. It was just, completely blah. A meteor could have crashed into the city and I'd not really have cared.

I'll give it a few more episodes to find its footing. If I remember to watch them, or if someone here says it gets really good.

4. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    As for Luthor. I’m betting he is from the future where the earth dies. The ship computer sounded a lot like Gideon from Legends. He may be a descendant of the current luthors.

5. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016

Advertisements

Other than the Crisis cross-overs, I hadn't watched any of the CW superhero shows in a couple of years. I think I was in superhero overload. But being Superman, I couldn't resist.

I enjoyed it, but I'm invariably biased towards anything Superman. Always have been. Did it blow me away? No. But definitely good enough to keep me watching for now.

Peter000 likes this.
  6. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I wasn't a fan. It skipped over too much material to get to where it is. And one thing I absolutely hate about superhero films is that suddenly, the whole world is in danger because of a super-villain.

When superheroes and super-villains start wailing on each other (to what end?), about all they do is create a lot of property damage, and presumably a lot of innocent bystander injuries and deaths.

And with all of the facial recognition software out there, no one has thought about running Superman's uncovered face through? Glasses aren't going to make any difference to such software.

Given that it's on The CW, one evil thought entered my mind.....

Is it possible Kyle is upset with Clark Kent because he knows or suspects that Sarah is Clark Kent's daughter?

7. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    I liked it, but I didn't really need Clark to lose his job, Martha Kent to die, and their existential life issues to all happen in episode 1.

I do think he's a really good Superman.

-smak-

SullyND likes this.
  8. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    When all worlds combined into 1, they all of a sudden had 2 kids. So this is definitely part of the Arrowverse.

-smak-

David Ortiz likes this.
  9. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I liked it too.
    It's a bit of a different take on Superman with him struggling to be a father to children.
    Given his lifestyle, I can see where it could be a problem.

BTW, the Kent farm filming location is getting a lot of work lately.

10. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    It's not just that they suddenly had two sons instead of one, but the kids were just born a season or so ago in the Arrowverse. Now they're 14? I thought this was Superman and Lois, not Wandavision.

And, of course, the kid who's least emotionally equipped to deal with powers is the one with powers ...

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Really? You wanted them to build a series around two babies? And we don’t know how old the kids were after Crisis anyway. Lois didn’t say “babies.” She said “boys.” You are okay with a second one appearing but say they must be babies?

12. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I enjoyed it. I thought the production values were quite good for a TV series. I liked that it's a fresh take on the Superman saga. It will be interesting to see where they take the show. I wonder what other super villains will show up besides the revamped Lex Luthor that is clearly from another parallel Earth or possibly from the future.

13. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I enjoyed this a whole lot. Although they really need to tone down his muscle padding. It was distracting and made him look a bit deformed while in the Superman suit.

14. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I generally love all things Superman and this was no exception. I love the fresh take on the story. I did think that Supergirl should have flown in for the funeral since she is his cousin (yes, I know she was not related to his mother, but still…). I love Tyler Hoechlin as Superman. Really looking forward to more episodes.

hapster85 likes this.
  15. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I liked it...so far. I'm glad they zipped thru the origin and got to something new. We've seen it enough times.

SullyND, osu1991 and hapster85 like this.
  16. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I've been away from the comics for many years, so I'm unaware if this version of Luthor has been seen before. But even if he's brand spanking new, with that new armor suit smell, it still has a "been there" feel to it. Would've been nice if they'd started with one of the plethora of other Superman villains.

17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    We don’t know what luthor this is. He has worn a battle suit in the comics. It was green and purple!

18. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Maybe it’s part of his disguise.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, they needed something to justify hiring such a scrawny little guy to play Superman! :D

20. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Our Supermen keep on shrinking.

Tyler Hoechlin is only 6'0. He's tied for the shortest major Superman with Dean Cain

-smak-