1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superior Donuts - Whole S1 Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Frylock, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1 of 41
    Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I had 0 expectations for this show, and expected to really not like it. The previews were all pretty bad. I was surprised how good it actually was. Though it seems to be a clone of The Great Indoors, as another show about Gen X vs Millennials...

2. Feb 7, 2017 #2 of 41
    jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    yeah, I have seen episode 2 yet
    but I loved episode 1

I've always liked judd hirsch
    but I like the rest of the cast too

sharkster likes this.
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #3 of 41
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I like it and plan to continue watching, at this point. Like James, I haven't watched E02 yet but am looking forward to it. I also like Judd Hirsch and also a big fan of Katey Sagal.

4. Feb 7, 2017 #4 of 41
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I watched Episode 2 today, and I still like it. Like the OP I didn't really expect too much before seeing episode 1, but I was entertained for 30 minutes (minus ads) so it did its job.

5. Feb 7, 2017 #5 of 41
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I've watched two episodes and am not feeling it. Maybe between Taxi and Married With Children my expectations are just too high.

6. Feb 8, 2017 #6 of 41
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    It's a Chico and The Man remake.

Ereth and lalouque like this.
  7. Feb 8, 2017 #7 of 41
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I liked it. I didn't expect to. I will stick with it for a few more episodes.

8. Feb 8, 2017 #8 of 41
    jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I've seen chocolate laced with chili pepper so a spicy donut doesn't sound that off the wall.
    In any case, the show is good enough to keep watching.

9. Feb 8, 2017 #9 of 41
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Same here, low expectations, but better than I expected. Judd Hirsch has too much of a New York accent for me to buy he's from Chicago, but I can get past that. I do think it can get old quick. Someone above mentioned The Great Indoors, which I watch as well, and I'm almost at the point where I'm going to quit that show, it's the same thing week after week and it's getting old.

10. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I also worry that this show and the Great Indoors need to evolve from their basic plot premise, or they will get old quick.

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Watch E2 and it wasn't as good as the Pilot. The peripheral characters just seem dumb. I'm on the fence now if I'm going to stick with it.

12. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I agree, second was a dud. It seems like the kid is just buzzing around at 100 mph and as soon as the scene shifts away from him it seems to really drag. If the kid dialed it down a tad it might make the other stuff not so dull.

13. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    These shows come and go, have a few laughs then die out. There was the one in the barber shop last year, others I'm too lazy to recall. Seems to be all about whether the characters are interesting or not. I don't think the donut guy is very likeable.

14. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Well that's kind of the point of this trope. Crusty old man who very very slowly becomes a human being because of the young energetic (usually minority) kid he grudgingly hires. Yes it's Chico and the Man but it almost dates back to Dickens Christmas Story.

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's the very old trope where old, set in his ways guy gets dragged kicking and screaming into modern times. This time set in a doughnut shop. Chico and the Man, All in the Family, even Mary Tyler Moore Show had crusty old guys who didn't want to look at things how they are now.

The trick is to make these characters interesting. I think the kid is WAY over the top, and Judd Hirsch's character is essentially the character her plays everywhere. And I think the casting is not right, unless they set the show in New York. His accent is about as far from a Chicago one as can be. They seem to be insinuating that he we born in Chicago, so it's just not right.

16. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    IMO the Katey Sagal character has been a waste so far. I barely even notice she's onscreen. But on paper, she and Hirsch should be a strong cast.

And yea, kid is way over the top.

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I agree Katey Sagal is completely wasted here.

But OMG Judd Hirsch is 81 years old - we all should be so lucky to be as vibrant as he is at that age.

18. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I actually thought Sagal had a little more to do in the last episode. But the kid's still chewing scenario like he's on Atkins.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think it's a pretty dumb show, but I like Judd Hirsch. I should go re-read Hirsch's imdb.. In my head, he did Taxi, he did Dear John, then did nothing for 2 decades, was on Numbers, and now seems to show up on things fairly often..

and the funny thing is, he _seemed_ like "the old guy" on Taxi, back when I was a kid.. (Though we looked it up the other week, he was early 40s..)

20. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    In Taxi, he seemed to me the average Joe, middle aged guy who was just stuck in his career. That was the point of his character. All the other younger guys all had aspirations and his were gone. He never stuck me as an OLD guy, just a middle aged guy. Of course I was looking at this from someone who was in his late teens early 20s at that time.