Sunday Ticket work with Samsung SIRS4040R

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cygnusx72, Jul 31, 2007.

1. cygnusx72

cygnusx72 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Hey all, sorry for the question if its already been asked. As I'm not a tivo user yet but been doing a lot of reading and have decided to get a DirectTV Tivo from Circuit City (Samsung DIRECTV TIVO Digital Video Recorder (SIRS4040R)) I currently have the R15 and am just sick of it.

So I really want to know if this Tivo unit will be able to function properly as I just ordered the Sunday ticket. I believe this unit will do everything else I need. Looking to modifying it shortly after getting it so I can offload to the PC and thought I read I could send some things back to the Tivo after I encode them. But thats to be done later.

So if anyone can confirm that the Samsung DIRECTV TIVO Digital Video Recorder (SIRS4040R) unit available from CircuitCity will work properly with my DirecTV setup and Sunday Ticket by swapping out my R15 for this unit.

My current config is that R15 and an D10 (edit: its a D10 and not an R10) in an additional room.

I guess I am also confused as to why i would need to buy another card from DirecTV for the new device if i want to swap it out the R15.

Thank you!

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Short answer - no. It will work for viewing games, but features such as the Mix channel will not function, just like it won't on your R10.

3. cygnusx72

cygnusx72 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I think i need to call DTV 1st to check on a few things. Getting scared after finding even more things on limit the use of a S2 on DTV.

Thanks again

EDited my original post to state a D10 and not R10.. Not DVR service in 2nd room.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Yes, you should be able to watch games just fine. But any advanced features require an interactive capable receiver of which the Tivo is not (I'm not sure if the R15 is either, can't remember). Note that they haven't been making the DirecTivo for nearly 2 years now thus probably why you are finding some things it can't support (mainly interactive stuff if you care about that). But for just watching TV and recording stuff it should still work fine for some time, they are good units, but are of an older generation.

5. cygnusx72

cygnusx72 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks for the info Scott! Yeah the R15 certainly supports the active channels. I briefly tried the news mix and such. Not sure if I am going to use it for football though. And its not like i really wanted to record too much of the football. Its all the other shows that I record but I am sick and tired of setting season passes to 1st run only and end up getting repeats! Thats what the r15 does all the time and i've been told that tivo boxes are much better at it.

I so torn. I want a tivo but thinking about waiting for the merger to go through and see if directv then brings back the tivo since so many of its customers want it as its far superior to their own version. But then again, if they bring it back and its so crippled it wont do them any good.

Anyone know if the Samsungs have that RID? Don't want to have trouble if I do buy one in activating it.

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Honestly I don't really think you'll be missing anything with a DirecTivo over the R15. The R15 is starting to get updated to include the new features and fixes that the HR20 has so that should make it better over time.

As for first runs vs. repeats, any DVR is only as good as it's guide data and the DirecTivo's have the same problems with the same shows like Daily Show and ESPN Sportscenter shows and such because the guide data doesn't indentify first runs properly. But other then that, if the R15 has problem with all shows (I don't have one myself so I don't know) then yes, the DirecTivo will be better for you.

7. cygnusx72

cygnusx72 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Yeah it issues with Prime time shows, Las Vagas, CSI, CSI. You name it, it even says Repeat in the description and still wants to record many of the time.

But now that I read that the circuit city one is leased i'm afraid i wont be able to modify it for the PTV and such as i would have to return the unit.