Sunday Ticket Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TopoJim, Sep 18, 2006.

1. TopoJim

TopoJim New Member

Aug 11, 2006

Advertisements

Does anybody know when D* contract with the NFL expires?

Or how it is structured....timing wise?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding TiVo Special Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Portland, OR
    2010 I believe

3. Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA
    And if you're hoping for it to be non-exclusive when this contract is up, I wouldn't hold your breath - the fact of the matter is that the Sunday Ticket is far more valuable to one provider as an exclusive than it would be collectively to all providers if it was non-exclusive. Of course, the next contract won't necessarily go to DirecTV - wouldn't it be something to see the exodus from D* if the contract went to someone else!?!

4. Elstevo

Elstevo New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    I'd be afraid of how much another provider would have to charge the consumers for it if they're building a customer base for that package from scratch, vs D* already having an isntalled base of renewals and just working to have more new subscribers than those that cancel - which I am sure is easilly done many times over every season.

Outbidding DirecTV and then passing that along to the consumer in general programming as well as the cost of the package itself is scary.

5. wchittenden

wchittenden New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    San Marcos, TX

Advertisements

In 2002, the NFL extended its agreement with DirecTV for five years (through 2007) for $400 million per year ($2 billion total), which was more than triple the previous per year cost of $130 million per year.

In 2004, the NFL and DirecTV extended the contract for another five years (through 2010) at a cost of $700 million per year ($3.5 billion total).

It will be interesting to see how much the next exclusive contract goes for and how much more expensive Sunday Ticket will become.

6. TopoJim

TopoJim New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Thank everybody.

The reason I asked is that my opinion is that once the contract has expired (and maybe before), the NFL will broadcast their own games on a PPV and/or a package basis (similar to D*'s ST). The NFL is quickly moving towards a PPV approach to their games using their own network.

I think that within the next few years +/-, the only way you'll be able to get an NFL game is to buy a package or buy an indivudual game through the NFL network. I think they'll license

Currently, with D* having exclusive ST rights, they are missing a HUGE chunk of the market (and the revenue) from people that would pay to watch games that are on .

Anyway, just wondering how it'll be before that happens. Just thinking out loud.

7. Elstevo

Elstevo New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    They wouldnt make billions like they do selling a package of games themselves, the money is in the TV contracts and exclusivity.