sundance channel To Begin Airing My So-Called Life

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by FilmCritic3000, Apr 9, 2011.

1. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/my-so-called-life-to-air-sundance-channel_n_846240.html

2. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I'd never heard about her "unwillingness". Anyone know the reason for that?

3. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    It's available for streaming on Netflix.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    IIRC, she was sick of the show and/or was/thought she was on the road to bigger & better things.

5. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_So-Called_Life#Cancellation

Love this show... I got the box set back in 2002 and it went out of print shortly thereafter. Looking around, I guess it's back in print now so mine's not worth as much as it was (I was offered $200 at one point)! :eek:

"Sometimes it seems like we're all living in some kind of prison. And the crime is how much we hate ourselves. It's good to get really dressed up once in a while. And admit the truth: that when you really look closely? People are so strange and so complicated that they're actually... beautiful. Possibly even me." -Angela Chase

6. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Thanks for the info and link.

I do feel like new actors should be more grateful and loyal to the shows that made them popular. I understand wanting to do movies but they wouldn't even have that opportunity if they hadn't gotten exposure from the show they were on.

I'm reminded of an interview with Gary David Goldberg in which he said that when he adjusted the Family Ties shooting schedule to let Michael J. Fox make Back To The Future, his friends in the business told him he was nuts. They thought if the movie was a hit, Fox wouldn't be back. IIRC, Fox gave Goldberg his word that he would return.

Well of course the movie was a MONSTER hit, but Fox, true to his word, remained on the show for as long as it stayed on the air.

Isn't it just the right thing to do?

7. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Claire can do no wrong in my eyes. :)

But the circumstances around the show were pretty complicated...

The pilot was shot in the spring of 1993 (Claire was 13), but ABC did not pick up the show for the fall, and instead optioned it as a midseason replacement for early 1994. It's kind of funny - between the pilot and second episode - Brian Krakow had grown 6 inches.

Claire had already gone back to high school, and it wasn't until halfway through her freshman year that it got picked up. She says it was pretty traumatic to leave school like that. Also, she had already suffered the disappointment of the show not getting picked up in the first place.

With ABC's lackluster commitment to the show, poor marketing, and weird schedule, she also got the Little Women movie job and did that between MSCL filming and I would guess probably much preferred that type of schedule and short-term commitment.

Here's a fantastic article where some of the actors met up a few years ago and talked about when they would meet to shoot an episode, they were never sure if that was the last episode or not.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,692296,00.html

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, she's 32 today.. half of David Letterman's age (today).

9. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Had to search to find a somewhat recent MSCL thread. I started watching "My So Called Life" on Netflix a few weeks ago. I was able to see 5 or 6 episodes back in the pre-dvr days and loved it and always wanted to see them all.

I am on episode 6 and I remember nothing so it's like a new show to me. Claire Danes is extremely good in it and I still love her red henna hair.

If you haven't seen this show in 15+ years it's worth watching again on Netflix. It stands the test of time well although it does harken back to a time when kids had to actually talk face to face because of the lack of texting, facebook, twitter, and cell phones.