Sun Times - Tivo at the top of its game

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SeattleBrad, Aug 16, 2007.

1. SeattleBrad

SeattleBrad Pusher of Buttons

Jul 19, 2002
    Seattle

Advertisements

Story about how Tivo is so much better than its competitors:
    http://www.suntimes.com/business/512558,CST-FIN-Andy16.article

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
  3. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    He states, "... it'll find a repeat showing that allows it to honor both requests."

I never saw it do this, although it would be nice.

How does it find a repeat showing that allows it to honor both requests?

4. SeattleBrad

SeattleBrad Pusher of Buttons

Jul 19, 2002
    Seattle
    Basic cable channels (MTV, Discovery, etc.) often air the same show several times throughout the day (especially after midnight) so Tivo will record the later one if the earlier one conflicts.

However, the big 4 networks rarely air shows multiple times, so this wouldn't apply for them. Maybe this is the trouble you're having. One way I deal with this is to put the big 4 network shows at the top of my list of Season Passes.

And if you don't have a dual-tuner Tivo, this won't help much, and you should run out and get one. They're practically free now.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

:)

6. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Thanks for the link...and a great little article! :up: For anyone thinking that their cableco DVR and TiVo are in the same universe the author sums it up brilliantly:

Been there...done that! ;)

7. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    it depends on if the show with lesser priority in your season pass manager (lower in the list) has any repeat showings. cable channels tend to have lots of these whereas the major networks tend to not have any.
    --
    Alan :D

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You don't even really need to have a dual-tuner unless, like you mentioned, you have conflicts on the big 4. I've only got a single-tuner and am able to record every show that I want. All of the cable channels like SciFi, USA, TNT, AMC, and FX all repeat their big shows the same night they air and usually later in the week a few times at off-peak hours. Premium channels like HBO and Showtime replay episodes dozens of times before the new episodes air. So I record the network shows at their normal time and pick up the cable shows during their replays. It takes a little work to get all of the Season Passes in the correct order but once thats done, you can pretty much record at will.

9. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Out of curiosity... (doesn't really change the merit of the article)

Does anyone know the original soruce, or printing of the article?

As Verizon is not in the Chicago Area.... for home tv options...

10. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    His website links to the Sun-Times, I'm thinking he's currently an employee of theirs, and it's not a reprint(though I could be wrong).

I remember reading Andy Ihnatko's articles in MacWorld years ago, in the dark ages before even OSX Server.

11. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
  12. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Like I said, doesn't change the merit of article.

But I wonder how many people in Chicago noticed... and are curious about Verizon as an option to get away from Comcast, WOW, or RSN

Either way... Thanks for the links

13. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...

It seems to me, that if you used a wishlist rather than a season pass for a program, it would record the west coast feed if you had a conflict with the east coast feeds time slot. Season passes are for a specific channel, but the wishlist is not....

14. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    If we had Verizon here with FIOS I would be very tempted to go back to cable.

15. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Trust me, he has a good point about DT that you would have to get one to appreciate. Yes, a ST works for fine but a DT is like Tivo on steroids. I can wait for the NFL to start, recording and playback on two games at once!!!!!!!