Summer Update?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by El Maestro, Jul 25, 2016.

1. El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013

Advertisements

Hi,

I feel like the last couple of years at this time we either had or were talking about a summer software update (I think)? Any word on when/if anything is in the works?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Be careful what you ask for. ;)

3. joewom

joewom Member

Dec 10, 2013
    been very quite on updates since the buyout!

4. El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    ^ Yeah, I thought so. This makes me nervous.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

I did not think the buyout has happen yet, am I incorrect ?

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    We Roamio owners got significant updates back in Q1 with SkipMode, HBO Go, an updated (better?) Hulu app, and channel logos in the program guide. TiVo may decide that's enough for this year, particularly if a new high-end model TiVo rolls out to join Bolt, fully relegating Roamio to "last gen" status.

Honestly, in terms of core DVR functionality, I'm not sure what more we might ever expect from TiVo, other than bug fixes. We'll probably continue to see random updates to streaming apps, or totally new ones, here and there but it doesn't seem like those are necessarily packaged in as part of a "seasonal" update.

8. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    We're not sure if an update will be required to fix the Comcast mp4 problem or required as per the change in guide data from Gracenote to Rovi.

We're no expecting any new features.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's certainly not like it used to be. If you follow the forum Suggestion Avenue, there isn't much activity anymore. Most requests have either been done or will never be done. This is not to say that there aren't things that could use improvement. Better wireless is an example. A better remote comes to mind also.

10. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Other than voice control what needs to be improved on the Roamio Pro Slide remote? I rather like the two I have....

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A regular Roamio remote has a nasty tendency to revert to IR commands. If you have a Roamio with a clear front view and only one box visible you may never notice. Mine sits behind a barrier and does not respond to IR commands. It's a minor irritation but has been noted by others.

Fixing the wireless would be a higher priority for me. But that's a really hard thing to do (and support).

12. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Is that something that could even be addressed via software patch? Or are you talking about TiVo rolling out updated hardware to address the IR problem?

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I really don't know. My patch is to block IR and live with it. I have five remotes in RF mode, two in IR mode. I manage. It's not a problem when watching a recording, but my cable is encrypted so I need the box to view real time TV. Being retired I do it a lot.

Like I said, let me run a Mini from the internal wireless. I need to use an ASUS in media bridge mode now.

14. El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    It isn't so much that I'm expecting new features (I own a Roamio Pro and 2 minis); it's more that since I bought mine in November of 2013, Tivo has released regular software updates a few times a year on a kind-of-regular schedule. These updates sometimes introduced new features, but they would always fix bugs/clean things up so that the system would get a little better/snappier each time. The Roamio I own now is a significantly better piece of equipment than the one I bought because of this. While I agree that there isn't probably much to add, even this short thread shows some of the issues still to be fixed.

It seems as if the cycle might be broken and I'm hoping that it's not EOL for the Roamio Pro (seems early for that, but I'm not an industry expert) or that whatever company Tivo will become/become part of isn't abandoning the whole project anytime soon.

15. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I don't know if Rovi data needs a new software release, but if it does then it should happen within the next 3 weeks.

There's also the potential for new hardware (fall?), which comes with software that others eventually get too... assuming there isn't an EOL.

16. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Where's the slide from the last quarterly call showing TiVo's current priorities? They had "new UI" or something like that on the list. I wonder if that's just for upcoming hardware (like MSO partner boxes) or if it's something we'll see rolled out to Bolt?

17. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I could easily see Skipmode going away.

18. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I think it is more likely that they may start charging for Skipmode and I will probably pay. The current TiVo software works very well and keeps TiVo in a league by itself as a premium DVR. I'm in the camp of if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

19. El Maestro

El Maestro Active Member

Nov 19, 2013
    I too would pay for Skip. Amazing feature that completely changes our viewing experience; I'm very worried about its future.

20. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Why would we have to pay extra for Skip? Aren't we already paying for TiVo service? Skip is part of the fees that we are paying, and I see it as a competitive feature in the highly competitive DVR market to justify the cost. It is called "competitive advantage".

Why are you guys freaking out on the Skip feature being removed? I have not read anything about removing it, and why would they remove it or charge extra?