Suits - S5 Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1 of 247
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Doesn't seem to be enough interest obviously in an episode by episode thread, so I'll do a season thread.

I've always liked this series and the dynamics among the characters, but this season has really started out to be a soap opera. Between the Harvey / Donna angst and the marriage of Mike and Rachel, there's little time for any legal stuff. I still enjoy Louis and Harvey getting at one another, but even that's a bit stupid at times. In E2, Louis exposes Harvey's salary based on contingency which is totally rediculous. The Louis/Harvey love hate relationship, which used to change episode to episode now changes scene to scene. So to me, the series is no longer all that interesting. But of course there's Donna (and to a lesser extent Rachel) which might be enough to keep me around for awhile.

2. Jul 8, 2015 #2 of 247
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I think I'm done. I just don't like most of these people

3. Jul 8, 2015 #3 of 247
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    All the drama of Donna going to work for Louis without any good explanation seems an obvious ploy by the writers to try to shake things up, but it has failed miserably. The only reason I can think of for Donna to do such a thing is that she wants to see if she and Harvey might have a chance at a relationship outside of work. But neither she nor Harvey have even hinted at that for being a possible reason why Donna made the move. The whole situation just makes no sense.

4. Jul 8, 2015 #4 of 247
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I find it weird that Donna can just quit Harvey and go to work for Louis. Doesn't she have a boss, an office manager? And even if she's the boss of all secretaries, she still has to report to somebody other than Harvey.

5. Jul 8, 2015 #5 of 247
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

From how I understand it, it's an unusual situation. Harvey brought her with him when he joined the firm, so maybe that gave her autonomy outside of the normal secretarial pool (is that still PC?). She is also being paid partially by Harvey as well (another reason why she might be 50% his employee). So I suppose it's possible that she answers only to the managing partner.

That said, yeah, it's a bit weird, but it's TV. I just thought she's working for Louis for spite, or to get Harvey to commit to her, either as his assistant or (probably) romantically. They spend at least one episode last season explaining the whole Harvey / Donna dynamic.

6. Jul 9, 2015 #6 of 247
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    This season is annoying me. It's just too much Donna-drama.

Now we've introduced a power struggle with a partner we've never heard of before, with of course Louis doing something stupid and getting blackmailed into remaining in the middle of it.

Zane and Mike working together is an interesting dynamic. If there's a shake-up this season that I like, this is it.

We do seem to have abandoned all plot lines around Mike not being a real lawyer though. It seemed like the trend in previous seasons was more and more people finding out, progressing toward eventual doom. Nobody seems to be worried about it anymore.

7. Jul 9, 2015 #7 of 247
    efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    Nothing left but pretty people to look at. But done in such a way that it caused my wife to comment on the tight dresses during one long shot that seemed to focus on Rachel's behind for a loong time. I didn't mind but I sure get her point.

Love Mike showing off his great memory (pick a page, any page) and therefore winning the legal argument. Really? And why does every TV law firm get to face a devious and deadly insurance company, killers of millions? Haven't we gotten rid of all them by now?

Is the '...partner we've never heard of before...' played by the same guy as the one on the Last Ship? Looks like him but where did his hair go?

Harvey and his basketball friends, his new secretary helping to solve his panic attacks... Bah, it's all just too much.

But the two ladies on their way to the charity event sure did look pretty.

8. Jul 9, 2015 #8 of 247
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

9. Jul 9, 2015 #9 of 247
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    [misogynistic comment]Well, to me, that's the only asset Rachel has left. At the beginning of the series I thought she rivaled Donna in hotness, but I'm not sure what happened, but she's just not that anymore.[/misogynistic comment]

10. Jul 9, 2015 #10 of 247
    teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    I blame the makeup dept. She looks like a clown this year.

11. Jul 10, 2015 #11 of 247
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I hope we've abandoned it but I have a feeling Soloff or Zane will revive that played out drama.

Louis is an idiot. I would like to have seen some growth in his character but he's still a cartoon.

12. Jul 13, 2015 #12 of 247
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    All the stuff with Donna this season is ridiculous. From what we know of her from the first four seasons of this show, she'd never leave Harvey's desk and go work for Louis. So none of this stuff rings true at all. And they're clearly setting it up for there to be some big reconciliation where she goes back to Harvey, but then that's just going to make her look even worse after all the assurances she's given Louis that she won't do that.

The whole bit with the partners redoing the compensation formula to get rid of contingency pay makes no sense. If the firm is billing the client on an hourly basis, then the attorney should be paid hourly. But if the client is paying a percentage of a deal or a percentage of a verdict/settlement, then what happens if it only took 10-20 hours to generate a $1 million fee for the firm? Does that mean Harvey would only get his hourly amount and the remainder goes to the firm's general fund?

13. Jul 13, 2015 #13 of 247
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I agree.

Donna would have never left Harvey. Period.

Suits had a formula that worked in season 1 and now they can't seem to come up with anything other than that formula including...

That is their big bad - there is always someone internally that the 3 of them have conflict with. Yawn.

Well - at least they aren't still rehashing Mike didn't go to Harvard...

14. Jul 31, 2015 #14 of 247
    Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ

15. Jul 31, 2015 #15 of 247
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Personally, I'm enjoying this season at least as much as previous seasons.

16. Aug 1, 2015 #16 of 247
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm enjoying the fact that most of the conflict this season is new and not the continued rehashing of whether someone is going to find out Mike's secret. However, the Jack Soloff stuff is just cartoonishly stupid, and Jessica should have fired him long ago.

17. Aug 1, 2015 #17 of 247
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Can Jessica just fire a partner, or does there need to be a partner vote?

18. Aug 1, 2015 #18 of 247
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Senior partners are voted in and have to put up $x - the same amount the other senior partners contributed. In order to get rid of a senior partner the other sr partners would have to vote to return the contribution (unless the partner is fired "for cause" - as defined in the partnership agreement). Bottom line no - Jessica could not unilaterally fire a senior partner - though her recommendation to do so would go a long way.

19. Aug 1, 2015 #19 of 247
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I binged on seasons 1-4 (thanks Prime) recently and now have caught up to the current episode...

I think the show has a bad habit of letting some conflict story arcs linger on too long. The Soloff thing is the current offender. It's like they're afraid to pump out a few "mystery of the week" episodes that aren't interwoven into some bloated story arc.

20. Aug 1, 2015 #20 of 247
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Did a man with a beard once kick the producer's dog?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015