Suits - Identity Crisis S1E08 - spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    So, now Mike has a diploma, and is in the database as having a law degree from Harvard. Now he's just committed even bigger fraud.

I wonder if he's going to show it to Harvey. The girl doing it for Mike made no sense, though. She had it as a hammer, but she suddenly changed her mind when he asked for her help in saving others?

I have a feeling that someone will try to expose Mike, and he'll be able to pull out the documents showing he went to Harvard, and all will be well. Except for his relationship with Harvey, who will think that Mike did it and hold it against him for some reason.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm not sure I like Mike having "his" Harvard Law degree. I thought that was one of the appealing aspects of the show, that he was always at risk at being exposed (once you allow yourself to get past the fact that the law firm's HR department never did a simple background check.) Now he's just another rookie lawyer.

Seems like on every tv show, somebody can always hack into anything, so I can accept the woman hacking Harvard's database to fudge transcripts for Mike. What I don't understand is how she could call up Harvard's HR department and have them send her a "duplicate" of Mike's "lost" diploma. You can call a school up and have them send you somebody else's diploma?

3. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I almost wish they would just forget the entire premise that he is a fake lawyer. The show is plenty good enough just with Mike and Harvey and Harvey mentoring and Mike trying to figure things out as a new lawyer. If we have to go multiple seasons dancing around if Mike will get discovered I think that will get old. The rest of the show is just so good.

4. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah the fake law thing is not really relevant any more at this point.

Obviously they could still bring it up down the road in some big story line, but it does not need to be something that is constantly hanging over their head.

It seems from how the episodes are progressing, this is almost becoming more of an ensemble show than it is a show focused on Mike. He certainly was not the focus this week.

5. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    My favorite character by far is Donna (Harvey's secretary). She rocks.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think they actually did great with the whole cast. When I watch this, I can't help but think of LA Law. To me, this is kind of an updated version of the show, with the twist of the fake lawyer. I see Harvey as the Corbin Benson character. Louis is the Brackman character. Mike is any number of new lawyers coming in to the firm. It's a lot less soap Opera like than LA Law though, and a bit edgier.....But it's also 25-30 years later and a lot has changed on TV since then.

7. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    She probably called posing as someone working for him/with him. I am sure Harvard is used to getting requests from the underlings of their graduates, at least in this universe.

8. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    i agree on all but for the Jessica Pearson character. It just doesn't make sense. she should have been someone at least 10+ years older.

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I like Gina Torres. Unfortunately, I can't help but think how much better Glenn Close would be in this role, based on her performance as a ruthless, bad-ass lawyer, head and founder(I think) of her firm, in Damages. She's 22 years older than Torres... and won a Golden Globe and pair of Emmy Awards for Damages.

10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Gina Torres is on the show for about five minutes or less per episode. It doesn't matter to me if she seems too young for her role.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    No, the girl did. Mike didn't do anything.

12. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    True, but by not immediately reporting the crimes she committed, he is now an active participant in the fraud.

13. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    He also accepted a fraudulent diploma.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Nothing wrong with that as long as he doesn't claim it's real.

15. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    There was something strange with this episode. They kept bleeping out the word s**t but then it wasn't bleeped for the phrase "s**t out of luck". I thought s**t was totally acceptable on basic cable these days, even thought it's not acceptable here. :)

16. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've never heard any bleeping on this show. Unless you mean closed captioning which seems to have its own rules about what gets censored. Heck, I've seen the stand alone word "God" be censored as "G--" on one show.

17. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I also heard all of the ***** - no bleeping.

Perhaps it depends on the time it's shown?

18. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I agree. I also assumed that that was the point of this. He has a degree, and appears in their alumni DB now, so no need to continue the risk/plotline here any longer. Let the show move on.

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Except inevitably it will come up again. I predict that some alum supposedly from Mike's year will try and out him. Either that, or the hacker girl will get caught and spill the beans.

20. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    At the start of the show, he had a fake degree and some super memory. It seems like they've pretty much moved away from both of those things.

I've said this before, but the reason I started watching the show was due to the memory thing. I almost thought the show was going to be some type of superhero show. That he has this super power that is going to make him this amazing lawyer. In the end, the show is good on its own and doesn't need any of that.