Suggestions on what to do about Series 3 with dead modem?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by eclarkso, Jul 12, 2007.

1. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007

Advertisements

I got home yesterday to find my TiVo locked up. Everything seemed fine, until my wife asked why the phone line was busy--I picked up our landline and got no dial tone. After a little deduction, it seems as if my S3 modem died (no idea why--it's on a surge protector and there were no reset clocks to indicate a power blip). Anytime the phone line is plugged into Tivo, the line is off the hook.

Anyway, the real meat of this post: I called Tivo CS, who confirmed it sounds like a bad modem. But I'm 6 months post-purchase, which she said meant I had to pay $50 for an exchange. I didn't think to ask her at the time, but I assume that would mean my lifetime service would transfer to the new unit? In any case, the choices as I see them are:

+ Pay $50, lose the Tivo for a short while, and get a new-ish unit.
    + Pay $50 for the wireless adapter, keep the unit, and just use my wireless (which is what I've been wanting to do anyway).
    + Play CS roulette and see if I can get a free exchange? Or a free wireless adapter?
    + See if I can get 5000 more reward points from someone and get a free wireless (and keep my unit)?

Any other suggestions? Which of these do you think is the best choice? Is the CS roulette option a reasonable thought?

I'm a little peeved at the prospect of paying $50 for an exchange less than 6 months into it, especially this would be #2 (first was free for DOA OLED). OTOH, I don't want to keep a unit if this failure might be indicative of the future... Your thoughts?

2. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I would get a new unit (one way or another) and also buy a wireless adapter.

3. coldfusionak

coldfusionak New Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Anchorage
    Would they be willing to transfer your data from the old Tivo to the new one, that would peeve me more, losing any data in the switch.

4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    You wanted to do this anyway. Think of it as a sign to go ahead and get it done.

5. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006

Advertisements

New unit -- something caused the modem to go wrong. You're not sure that it's not a problem with the motherboard or power distribution that might cause additional component failure.

6. gbrown

gbrown Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I'd do both. Pay the $50 to get a new, albeit reconditioned, unit AND get the WiFi antenna. There are so many advantages to WiFi - speed being just one.

7. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    You have gone thru 2 "NEW" Series 3 units in less than 6 Months.......I would be beginning to wonder about the reliability of the Series 3.

I would be getting a New unit "Most probally a reconditioned return". As mike_camden has said, who knows what other damage the unit has. But I would be telling them to replace the unit for Free. Why pay them another $50?

Also, get the Wireless Adapter to, by either paying $50, or getting One for free.

8. VanGoghLikesTivo

VanGoghLikesTivo New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Did you buy with a credit card that would double the warranty period? I'd likely buy a WiFi modem and see if it works.

9. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    WHAT! :eek: you are using DIAL-UP with an S3? Go with wired (adapter already included in S3) or wireless network.

Your missing The TiVo Advantage
    - Unbox downloads
    - Net Casts
    - View Photos and play music from Network
    - Online scheduling

10. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    If it were me I'd just add the network adapter and keep all of my programming. You can always exchange it later using the same reasoning.

If you want a replacement I'd press TiVo's CSR for a free exchange based on your experience with the first two. Their customer retention folks are pretty good and have a lot of latitude.

Yes, your lifetime service would transfer and you should be able to get them to ship a replacement immediately if you provide them your credit card number. They'll make a charge and then refund it when they receive your unit. If you play it right both transactions might be on the same statement. ;)

But...YES...networking is the way to go. Our S3 is on Ethernet and our DT S2 is wi-fi...both work perfectly. :up:

Let us know how it goes!

EDIT: Just noticed that you can get a TiVo wireless adapter at Amazon for $41.88 with free shipping!

11. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. Just to clarify various things people mentioned:

+ I'm aware of the advantages of networking the Tivo (my S2 is), but the way we use Tivo doesn't really gain much from networking--Unbox price points are too high IMO, I very rarely use online scheduling, tried but never seem to have used photos/music/netcasts, etc. That's not to say I don't want it/like the idea--it's just not worth $50 to me.

+ I hadn't thought about the credit card issue--I'll look into that, thanks.

+ Good points about losing my data.

So I'm thinking I'll punt--get a wireless adapter and then think about it again before the 1 year is up.

12. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    Wired ethernet? On the back of the S3, there's an RJ45 ethernet jack right next to the phone jack.

It probably won't work for you - I'm mentioning this only for completeness - but if you can get a phone cable to the tivo you may also be able to pull category 5 ethernet cable between your tivo and your router.

13. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Sounds good...keep us posted.

Also, it's not a big deal certainly but when TiVo uses broadband it connects with Mother TiVo every 15 minutes or so, ensuring that any programming changes, etc. are always up to date.

BTW, a half-dozen or more Unbox recently released videos are usually offered at 99 cents every weekend. :up: Here's this week's:

• Rent The Pursuit of Happyness, 99 cents

• Rent Music and Lyrics, 99 cents

• Rent The Good Shepherd, 99 cents

• Rent The Sweetest Thing, 99 cents

• Rent The 24th Day, 99 cents

• Rent Happy Feet, 99 cents

14. eclarkso

eclarkso New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Wired Ethernet: yeah, I've been trying to figure out how I might get that to work, but my router is soon to be on a different floor from the Tivo :/. But thanks.

Unbox: I didn't know about the $1 specials--thanks. For now, Unbox looks pretty good on my S2 and smaller TV... doesn't suffer in comparison to HD programming!

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm using dialup.

1) I already have/need dialup for my S1s.. (Since of them will be unsubscribed after the free year of lifetime is up, I can't imagine paying that much for a wireless adapter..)
    2) The wireless connection even for a laptop is fairly flaky upstairs.

16. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Our DT S2 with the TiVo wireless adapter is in our basement and our 802.11n router is on the third floor. The connection reads between 65% (good) to 74% (excellent) all of the time so no problems with connections.

17. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    see sommerfeld's post above, if you have the extra port on your router then it is just the cost of the cable. Look around I see good cat 5 cables tossed quite often when neighbors switch to wireless or upgrade to 5e.

You don't have to switch the S1 from dial-up if you switch the S3 to network.