Suggestions interfering with watching live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mw2, Oct 8, 2007.

1. mw2

mw2 New Member

Oct 8, 2007

Advertisements

I have a new Tivo HD, (and I am new to Tivo) and am having the following problem:

1. Tivo is recording a "Tivo Suggestion" with one of the tuners
    2. I am watching live tv with the other tuner
    3. A recording that I scheduled is about to start
    4. I get a message on the screen, alerting me to the recording that is about to start, and giving me two options: 1) cancel the recording that I scheduled or 2) stop watching the live show that I am watching

The real issue is that one of the tuners is busy recording a suggestion that I will probably never watch, but it doesn't give me the option of canceling that recording. The only solution I have found is to stop watching the live TV that I am watching, go to "Now Playing", find out what suggestion is being recorded, cancel it, and go back to watching my live TV.

There has got to be a better way. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a Tivo SW issue? This has happened to me at least 3 times in the last week. I'd prefer not to have to turn off Tivo suggestions.

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Record everything you watch, including watching live (why are you doing that anyway?). If you are recording it, the suggestion will be canceled for the other requested recording.

You have found one way that the tivo software kind of assumes that you're not going to be doing much serious live TV watching.

3. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    You don't ever have to manually cancel a suggestion. In that situation, if you switch to the tuner recording the suggestion and change the channel to the one you want, it will change the channel, automatically cancel the suggestion, and delete the partial suggestion.

But that's still clunky since you'd have to change tuners and then change the channel. ZikZak is right -- the best way to avoid this whole problem is just schedule recordings instead of watching live TV. Then it'll be seamless.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    If it's 8:58 and you're watching a 8-9pm show and you're 25 minutes behind but the Tivo needs to change the channel at 9pm, you can still finish watching the whole show - the buffer is still there after the recording starts.
    Ruth's suggestion won't work if the channel change and recording hasn't started yet. If you go to tuner 2 and change the channel to the same one that tuner 1 is on, it won't change the channel, it'll just switch back to tuner 1.

I don't record everything I watch, but I do check the To Do List before I start watching live TV. If a conflicting recording is scheduled, I'll check my other Tivos. And I don't record suggestions.

5. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA

Advertisements

This is true, but if you leave that program for any reason (e.g., to check the ToDo list) the buffer will be dumped.

6. mw2

mw2 New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Thanks very much for the ideas on how to deal with this issue. I don't watch much live TV (but this was the baseball playoffs and I wanted to see them as they happened). It sounds like there are a couple of options for how to deal with it.

I do wish Tivo would either cancel the suggestion to use that tuner for the recording I had scheduled, or would offer that as one of the options when it puts the alert on the screen about a recording that is just about to start. I would like that better than having to remember to record everything I watch or to switch to the other tuner once my scheduled recording did start and go back to my live TV (although it sounds like either of those options will work).

Thanks!

7. dsanborn

dsanborn New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    You can also just turn Tivo Suggestions off. Dont know about you but I purchased this Tivo box to take control over what I watch - the Tivo Suggestion "feature" seems counter to that goal.

To turn Tivo Suggestions off:

Tivo Central->Msgs & Settings->Recording->Tivo Suggestions->No

8. dswartz

dswartz New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Turning off suggestions is the first thing I do when setting up a tivo...

9. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    this time of year, the suggestions stay off. When things start to slow down for TV viewing I might turn them back on. But Summer TV has been decent recently, so no Suggestions for me.