Suggestions for repair/ transfer.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Calawaydotcom, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Calawaydotcom

Calawaydotcom New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Roswell, GA
    My trusty old TCD240 has died. I cracked the case and verified that the Power Supply was dead. I grabbed a TCD649 that was unused and lying in the closet. I put the PS of the 649 into the 240, and no luck. As soon as I connect the ribbon cable from the 'good' PS to the 'bad' MB connection, the hard drive leads (and fan leads) go dead. I disconnect the ribbon, and I've got my 5v and 12v back.
    So the MB is dead.
    Is my only option to send the unit for repair? ($150)
    Tivo suggestd that I can transfer my service to a newer TCD649 (irony mark here) for a $199 fee. She also said that I would need to purchase the actual hardware for $149.
    Your advice is appreciated.
    Todd in Atlanta.

2. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Gees!. How does what TiVo has offered compare to having DVR Upgrade or Weakness repair it?

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Are you sure that the ribbon cable from the 649 supply is wired the same as the one from the 240 supply? If not, you may have just fried a perfectly good MB.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The 649 power supply doesn't have a +3.3V rail, so even if the +5V, the +12V, and the +30V, and the ground leads are in the same place on that ribbon cable, and the 3.3V locations are No Connection, it still isn't going to operate a 240 or a 540.

The 240 and 540 power supplies are interchangeable on a temporary basis, enough for test purposes.

Is that 240 supply completely dead?

Do you know how to visually inspect for "capacitor disease"? It's the usual cause of 240 power supplies going dead.

Have you ever used a soldering iron?

Do you know what "low ESR" is?

We might be able to save you some money.

Go to badcaps.net and lcdalternatives to learn about the capacitor problem.

Have you tried to see if that 649 supply will still run the 649?

5. Calawaydotcom

Calawaydotcom New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Roswell, GA
    If I probe the molex with that ribbon connected, it isn't giving the 5v or 12v. But with the ribbon removed it does. Does the lack of the 3.3 impact the output on the molex? Or does that only affect the output to the MB itself?

It has a loose connection at the power cord connection that arcs when powered. I attempted to secure it so that it didn't arc, and the output was null. Power in was a stable 120v.

The caps are slightly bulged, but the real damage came from the arcing supply leads.

I can, but is is not pretty. Not pretty by any means.

Without firing up the old Google, no.

Yes, the PS will power the 649 and the voltages are spot on.

6. Calawaydotcom

Calawaydotcom New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Roswell, GA
    That is my question to you, oh valued community member. I have not looked up the comparable Tivo offerings in many years. Would you like to elaborate on your response to my question?

7. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you are just looking for a replacement for your 240, you can probably pick that or some other Series2 up on eBay, with lifetime, for what it would cost to repair your current unit. Or, to put in a shameless self-promoting plug, I have a S2 dual-tuner with lifetime for sale (unit is only 16 months old). $200 delivered.

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You're going to force me to figure out the pinouts for both power supplies, aren't you?

Is that 240 lifetimed?

9. Calawaydotcom

Calawaydotcom New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Roswell, GA
    Yes, the 240 is lifetimed. I would not waste your time otherwise...

I appreciate all help, but I think it is going to be the most cost effective route to get the dual tuner for around 150.00

10. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you can find an S2DT with lifetime at that price then snap it up. That's well below the current prices on eBay.

11. Calawaydotcom

Calawaydotcom New Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Roswell, GA
    So I see. I just started looking around...

This is going to kill me to 'throw out' a lifetimed unit... It's just sad...
    Like losing a dear old friend.

12. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you still want to try swapping the power supply I have a working nosub 240 sitting in the closet. You can have the power supply for $15 shipped or the whole thing for $30 shipped. In either case that's basically just shipping plus a couple bucks for gas to drive to the post office. Send me a PM if interested.

13. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I know for a fact that the power supply in a 649 will not work in a 240. I've tried it. It won't work.

You have a few options.

1. Check out eBay and get a 240 that has no lifetime that still works. Use the power supply.

2. Find a thrift store and search for a 240. Use the power supply.

3. Find a Goodwill store and search for a 240. Use the power supply.

4. Find a yard sale and search for a 240. Use the power supply. (notice a theme?)

5. Find a fellow TiVoCommunity member with an extra 240 and offer to buy a power supply.

6. It sounds like you have a bad power supply with bad capacitors. The bulging caps are an indication of bad caps. I've had this happen to a few of my 240s and 140s. Replacing the caps with the same type of caps will bring the power supply back to life. However, the de-soldering of the power connection is not a good thing. I've had this happen, too, usually associated with bad caps. You will need to re-solder the connection, or you run the risk of fire from the arcing of the connection.

Good luck,
    robomeister

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Of course it won't work, the 240 and 540 need a +3.3V rail, and the 649 doesn't have one.

That's the kind of thing one needs to consider before doing any parts swapping.