Suggestions for mimicking dual tuners with multiple TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by asills, Jan 23, 2006.

1. asills

asills New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Okay, so long story short I'm moving and the place I'm moving to doesn't have a clear view of the southern sky so I'm ditching DirecTV. I can't go back to Comcast's DVR because it's junk and I don't want to use Dish Networks DVR (the building provides Dish as an option because they have a dish on the roof), so I'm thinking of having two cable receivers hooked up with two TiVos on one television. Using MRV I can watch shows on either while either are recording, I can use my Stereo receiver to relatively quickly switch between inputs (not as fast as D* but fast enough) to almost mimic my dual-tuner DTivo I already have.

The cost won't be too prohibitive, just a couple extra bucks a month for an extra receiver, and I was going to eventually buy another TiVo unit anyway.

Has anyone else had a setup like this? Did you hate it?

Any other suggestions for things I may not have thought about?

2. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    I do something similar -- I have three TiVo DVRs on one TV and switch inputs with my stereo receiver. I only have one cable box, and split the signal before the cable box for the other two DVRs. That way I have digital cable on one DVR, and analog cable on the other two DVRs. I rarely have conflicts on the digital channels, since they tend to repeat their offerings whereas the analog channels include the networks who don't rebroadcast as much.

With two DVRs, you can find one of the remotes with the 1-2 switch to switch between controlling them (such as, the charcoal and clear remotes from the TiVo store but not the blue one), and then use different remote addresses:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1087.htm?

If your receiver is supported, the input button on the remote makes switching very convenient. You can then get away with a single remote.

All in all, I like this setup very much. (Three TiVo DVRs is overkill; if I didn't test prototype units from work, I would just have two TiVo DVRs.)

Best regards,
    Stephen

3. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    Overkill? I take offense. ;)

We have four set up this way. Love it.

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If you'd like to go back to two units, I'll be glad to take the prototype off your hands ... :)

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    More than you'll ever know.

I have 3 TiVos on one TV connected via an A/V reciever. I finally decided to ditch the many remotes, so I just purchased the Harmony 520 remote yesterday - I'm still trying to figure it out but I'll get it.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I have two TiVos on my main TV and a TiVo up in the bedroom for overflow third conflicts.

the two downstairs work great as my TV has 4 inputs and Tosh TiVo with DVD is on component and the other is on S-video. I have a peanut for each since the Tosh has extra DVD buttons but no 1/2 switch. I need to get my harmony remote running someday

But the whole family uses both with no problems

7. asills

asills New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    And here I thought this idea was pretty far-fetched. I'm glad to hear that others have this setup and it appears to work. I was kind of nervous about investing the time/money and then getting annoyed with it.

I've been considering getting one of those for a while (actually a Harmony 880 because it looks like the TiVo remote). My TiVo remote almost has everything I need, but not quite. Does that remote work well with multiple devices of the same type?

8. asills

asills New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Out of curiosity, you have RF lines going directly into the TiVos without a cable box? Did TiVo add tuners to the boxes in the almost 4 years since I bought my Series2?

9. TiVoMonkey

TiVoMonkey New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    The Jungle
    Hasn't every TiVo, except DirecTiVo's, had an ANT/CABLE RF tuner?

10. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    TiVo has always been able to directly tune regular cable stations, just not the higher-up digital channels without the box. And it is more reliable than having TiVo changing the channels on the cable box.

11. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Some friends of mine have 4 DirecTiVos connected to one TV. 8 tuners is their minimum ;) They say it's great! They have them broken down by category: Movie TiVo, News TiVo etc.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Overkill? What kind of salesmanship is that? You're suppose to be telling people they need as many TiVos as they can afford. ;)

We actually have 5 TiVos (and a HD Moxi) connected this way and I don't think it's over kill at all. That's one TiVo for every major network (i.e. CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX & WB) so we can record all the primetime content without ever worrying about a conflicts. Plus with MRV we can transfer things around if any one TiVo starts to get too full.

Dan

13. beejay

beejay Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Richmond, IN
    Whoa. That can't be right.

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...

Umm yeah, everyone needs 5 TiVo's per tv! How can you live any other way :rolleyes:

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    can afford ? What kind of salesmanship is it to limit the sale to what the Customer can afford :D

but I actually could use some extra tuners beyond the three right now. With the January new shows I want to take a peek at and Football I actually have somethings that went beyond a 3 way conflict

16. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Maybe he means 2 TiVo (Series 3) DVRs which means 4 tuners ;)

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I agree! :D ;)

Seriously though I don't think everyone needs 5 TiVos. (we actually have 6, but one is in the ofice) I was just pointing out that it's nice to have so many because we never have to worry about conflicts. Plus we can transfer things around for space management. :)

Dan

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's actually my plan. Once the S3 units are released I'll most likely buy two, then sell all the rest of the TiVos. (except one of the DVD units since we like having IR when watching DVDs :))

Dan

19. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    I should have said "for me" -- I've seen folks who have four-way or five-way conflicts during some key primetime slots, but I just don't happen to have more than two shows in conflict based on what my wife and I watch currently. :)

For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill. :)

20. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Suggested new versions of that quote:
    "Three TiVo DVRs is overkill for me, but I'm about to have four." (True.)
    "Even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill!"
    "Three TiVo DVRs is overkill ON ONE TV -- you should figure on having about two TiVo DVRs per television set in your house."

Better? ;-)