Suggestions are Useless

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HeatherA, Sep 12, 2019 at 8:45 AM.

1. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I was just wandering through my suggestions and it got me thinking about the loss of the thumbs up/thumbs down . Without being able to tune my likes/dislikes (you'd think TiVo'd have a good grasp of these after 20 years) the suggestions are useless. Lots of Paw Patrol and other toddler shows when the youngest person in our house is 29 doesn't make sense. We've never recorded toddler shows so why start now?

It seems like TiVo should be able to use our recording history as a good way to program what suggestions we see.

While I'm throwing this out there... the What to Watch "Just for Me" section of the TiVo app is just as worthless. Looking at it currently shows NOTHING I would actually want to watch, nor does it show things based on the type of shows this TiVo regularly records.

Why have these things if they're not going to be useful.

Just some early morning ruminations by a long time TiVo user.

stevewjackson and pj1983 like this.
  2. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    They seem to have been rendered useless around the time Rovi metadata replaced the old version. I used to get lots of old movies recorded, then I stopped getting any suggestions at all (or maybe 1 every 3 or 4 months). A few weeks ago, I noticed it seemed to record every single fishing show for utterly unknown reasons (lots of them on South Florida stations). I cleaned those out, and once again no new suggestions have been recorded for several weeks. I certainly cannot deduce any kind of pattern. I did get one show I have a one pass for also showing up in suggestions, which really makes no sense.

HeatherA likes this.
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    TE4 suggestions use a different algorithm that doesn't use thumbs. It is the reason I have not moved over yet, TE3 seems the same to me.

TE4 seems to be getting better, perhaps marginally so.

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I wandered through the suggestions recently after installing a new TV in another room with a Mini attached, just to play something. Wow, what a load of useless crap completely unrelated to anything I watch or record, and repetitive; it was like episodes of the same 5 shows continuously, through 600+ recorded suggestions. Pretty sure I can just turn it off now; worthless. And that maybe notches me one step closer to being able to replace my TiVo setup as my source of recorded OTA/cable programming with streaming services. There's just little to no benefit anymore in the ecosystem. I think I'm now mostly only a customer because it's a habit being a TiVo customer. *sigh*

pj1983 and HeatherA like this.
  5. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Suggestions used to be one of the biggest selling points of TiVo. It's such a shame. I think the TV app from Apple will start to fill that void as more and more apps integrate. Until then I'll just keep doing a mass delete on my suggestions, hoping against hope they might one day again be filled with items that I didn't know I wanted to watch but TiVo knew.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It still is--under TE3.

fcfc2 and jrtroo like this.
  7. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Not for me as I turn suggestions off as soon as possible when setting up a Tivo.

Main selling point for me was, at the time, Tivo had 4 tuners and the only rental equipment my provider had was 2 tuners.

tim1724 and dishrich like this.
  8. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Suggestions was always the first time you turned off on Tivo going back to Series 2. I've done it on every Tivo i've ever owned.

tim1724 likes this.
  9. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Concur so I use TE3!

jrtroo likes this.
  10. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I turned suggestions off as soon as I got my newer Bolts. Never used it with my Premiere's either. I really feel I know what I want to watch and don't need someone/something else suggesting things for me. The only time I used thumbs up/down was during set-up.

tenthplanet and tim1724 like this.
  11. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I don't use suggestions much (most of my boxes are on TE3 by the way) but I have found sometimes it records/suggests shows based on an actor or even a channel number. So even though you have a one pass for something that showed up in suggestions the "suggestion" might have recorded because of an actor in the episode or something in the episode description?

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I don’t think it is a big selling point. A lot of us never have it turned on.

tim1724 likes this.
  13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I with you on this. As soon as I finish GS on a new box, I turn off suggestions, change My Shows to lose the left column then restart to lose the folder.

tim1724 likes this.
  14. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I have never used suggestions until last week. (TE3) So far not good. Nothing I would even remotely want to watch or recording shows I have a season pass for, just on another channel.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 10:13 AM
  15. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I am so dialed in to what's what on tv, I don't need Tivo's help. I keep an eye out for anything sci fi related and everything else I am interested in. One issue us I don't see commercials any more!! There are enough shows such as sporting events that have no skip so I still get info on new shows and movies.

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Suggestions has always been a long term game, I can't imagine it even remotely learning in the week you gave it, I've always considered it taking a month+ when suggestions were more reliable, but in TE3 I have units that clearly understand what I look for since the suggestions are in the right ball park, but these units have years of recording and thumbs history in them.

jrtroo and CloudAtlas like this.
  17. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm not giving up. Should I thumbs them down before deleting or thumb up the ones they got right?

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    it's worth a 2 thumbs down if it's totally off base and awful, and 2 thumbs up if it's good, but you have to be careful with 3 thumb ratings since IMHO it can do more damage, but for sure I'd recommend thumbs down on bad suggestions, but there's also zero reason to delete them since they don't occupy designated space and won't stop anything else from recording.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You mean the first THING you turned off? I presume that's what you mean.

No, the stupid remote control sounds were the first thing you turn off.... the second thing done was the keycode to enable 30 second skip.. The THIRD thing you did was turn off suggestions...

(...until I realized that they were useful as a free space indicator... EVEN after they put a real percentage meter in there.. Because I can still be at "100%" and have suggestions. It's off ENOUGH that leaving them on is useful. I've probably WATCHED a suggestion WAAAAAY fewer than 10 times ever. I have probably used a suggestion to set a FUTURE recording of the same show (e.g. to add padding) maybe 2-3 times.. I think I did it for some PBS show that recorded as a suggestion recently, though that was to record in HD I think not add padding.)

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I did kind of use suggestions but not to record them (I hate my machine is recording when I don’t expect it to) but the LIST they used to give you. But they took that away a long time ago. TiVo search is not great and suggestions were neutered a long time ago. The only reason I use TiVo is that I haven’t seen a cable box that I like (though directv had a good stretch for a while which I understand ended since I left directv).

tim1724 likes this.