Suggestions almost working, then...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rsonnie, Mar 2, 2020.

1. rsonnie

rsonnie New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Northwest
    Since Tivo switched over to an internal algorithm vs the old thumbs up thumbs down mechanism, the suggestions feature has been problematic. Recently, they had improved it to the point where I was starting to use it again. It was recording shows that were at least in my wheelhouse, 80% of the time, and was not just filling up the drive with garbage.

Now, we seem to have regressed. It stopped recording movies, again, a few weeks back and now its reverted to recording Dr. Phil, the Today Show, NBC news, Good Morning America, Live with kelly, etc. None of these are even remotely related to shows I watch and its filling my suggestions with junk every day.

It seems to switch back and forth between: Recording 100% garbage; Recording an occasional show I like, mixed in with the garbage; Recording a lot of shows I like, but lots of garbage too and no movies; Recording shows I mostly like & recording movies without a lot of garbage (this lasted a glorious month from about Dec 2019 to Jan 2020). I can trace these changes to particular dates that don't correspond to any kind of system update, so they must be server side changes.

Any hope that this once very valuable unique feature will get back to being usable? (to save y'all some time: Yes, i do realize you can turn it off, but I want it to work. This feature is one of the reasons I bought my first Tivo!)

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Interesting to hear that TE4 Suggestions has changed at all, and then to something that actual was beneficial. This is the first that I've heard of that.

3. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    IIRC, the TE4 algorithm for suggestions was supposed to learn your preferences over time.

Maybe it was actually working, but then somehow reset back to square one.