Suggestion while watching!?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Royal2000H, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    I have a new series 2 DT...

anyway

I set my tivo to record lil' bush on comedy central with 5 minute padding both ways... (let me know if comedy central is always correct on times and i have no need for padding)
    while this is going on in one tuner... We watch another channel with the other ... with pretty interesting stuff.

The tivo suddenly switches over channels to comedy central and starts recording south park as a suggestion (I assume it didn't use the other tuner because of the padding)

so it basically disrupted us from our show... so I go back to the channel and of course my buffer is gone so we lost a chunk of our show.

Any way to stop this?
    I don't want to turn off suggestions all together.

Thanks

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The TiVo should have given a warning about changing the channel before doing so.

You're saying it didn't?

3. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    tell you the truth i was upstairs (reading the new HP book)... the family was watching downstairs and called me down to change channels.... they're slow with new technology.
    So I don't know about that but I'll keep an eye out.
    thanks

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    If no remote buttons are used for about 15-20 minutes, the Tivo assumes no one is watching and may change the channel w/o the warning.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I have never heard that. My understanding is a warning message is always put up by the TiVo when changing for a suggestion. My money is on they just missed the warning somehow. The OP was kind of misleading in saying the TiVo suddenly changed channels when he was not even there at the time. Dumbledore would not approve of such misleading statements ;)

6. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    If you are going to leave your TiVo while watching the buffer and you want to be certain it will be there when you get back, follow the golden rule of buffer watching and hit the record button to record the show in the buffer before walking away.

TiVo will ALWAYS ask if it can change channel to record a Suggestion a minute in advance - PERIOD! But, if the people in your house don't respond, or nobody is watching when it asks, it will change the channel. Hence, follow the golden rule and you'll be happy going forward.

...Dale

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though people have said that on the S3 -- and I suspect maybe the S2DT -- that the warning doesn't always come up. I know I have seen it at least *once* on my S3.. and it was warning about the other tuner.

I strongly suspect that this is another bug in the 'recent' Tivo software. (See the "folder bug" discussion, I chimed in there about the same problems happening on S3 where others were talking about it on S2s)

8. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    I've definately been getting the folder bug but I still get the suggestion warning screen all the time. My four TiVos have never just turned the channel without warning me in almost 8 years of using TiVos. But a bug is possible I guess.

9. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    you guys are right.... it did warn. apparently my mom did not notice (she's new to tivo and not good with technology) but my dad did see it... so it's fine

10. mnslinky

mnslinky Unhappy Customer

Jul 30, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    We have a S2DT that *HAS* been changing channels on us, without notice, on both tuners, even without wanting to record. It acts as if it's stuck on a channel, thinking it originated there.

What I mean is that it seems as if our Tivo starts the day on, say, CourtTV. The rest of the day, it wants to keep going back to CourtTV. When we press GUIDE on the remote, CourtTV is the selected channel by default. No matter if we change the channel or not, it keeps popping back. Without warning. We always lose as much as half a show because of buffer loss. The channel changing only occurs on the hour/half-hour.

What gives?

Note, Dajad, always/never are very strong words and can sometimes make one look foolish if used too quickly and without regard.

11. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    You left your Tivo unsupervised in the hands of rookies? Can I say first mistake?

:D :D

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    actually to assume Dajad's DT has this same behavior could make one look foolish as well. :) I know for a fact my two DTs do not do the behavior you describe. They stay on the various channels that were last recorded but then they do have a full recording schedule and do not do many suggestions.

Now to figure out exactly what is happening on your DT...
    Are you saying that you are on, for example, channel 9 and hit the guide and the channel changes to CourtTV (say channel 71) as the guide is displayed?

Are you saying that the TiVo changes channels any time other than when you display the guide?

Does this happen during shows you are specifically recording with the TiVo?

why are you not setting up a season pass for the shows you are loosing the buffer on if they are shows you want to watch?