Suggestion for the Meets section

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by Gunnyman, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

David,
    could you please hide the Meets section from unregistered members the same way Happy hour is hidden?
    I think with all the pictures and info swapping that goes on in that section it might be a good idea.

2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Yes, I agree. This would be a good idea.

3. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Ditto.

Jan

4. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jan 1, 1999
    I am sorry, can you please giving me more information as to the issue.

Are images being posted that should really not be on this site? Is text being posted about people, and say, "encounters" that they had at a meet? I ask for if this is the case, we may need to take more action than just that.

Or is it that you would rather not have the info and photos for public, non-member, display?

Just need to know more about it.

Thank you.

5. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

Oh no there's nothing forum in-appropriate. I'm just saying it would be nice if the Meets section had the same "protection" from google and spammers that HH now has.

6. Skittles

Skittles West Coast citizen!

May 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Please add me as a supporter of this idea. From all my viewings of the Meets forum, I've never seen anything inappropriate, or anything not forum/family friendly. But since some people have pictures of their children in that forum, it would probably be a good idea to hide the forum from Google searches, as well as newcomers that haven't registered for the site.

7. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I don't see any point to doing so and would like to see Happy Hour opened back up to non-members. If people aren't comfortable posting pictures including their kids (and I really can't fathom why they'd care), simply don't post them.

But if it continues, I'd rather see Happy Hour exposed to search engines simply because outside search engines work better than the one here. It could be done in a way that still would require registration for a user to view the forum but search engine spiders would be allowed in so thepages could be indexed and I believe there is a way to force the page not to be cached, at least by Google, so that to view it one must come to the site (and thus be registered).

8. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    There is a big difference between posting pictures of children/family in a place that is somewhat private and having it where anyone with Google can find them and see them.

I also like this idea.

9. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The level of paranoia around here often exceeds my expectations.

10. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Just because you are paranoid does not mean that you are not right. :p

11. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    is your login here password protected?
    how about on your router?
    do you run antivirus/anti-malware software?
    care to post your SS number? Your address?
    Why? are you paranoid?

Doug it's not a life changing request, this little thing we're asking for. In fact you seem to be the only one to dislike the idea.

12. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    None of your questions is relevant to this discussion unless you're planning to post that sort of info about yourself here in the forums.

I don't see why the worry is based around posting pictures of your children. They're just pictures.

Nothing about TCF is life-changing; some people are asking for a change here and I'm providing my opinion on the subject. I see it as just more paranoia from a handful of people. It's to the point that such people should probably not have an avatar that's a picture of themselves, should not post their home city, and should basically not ever write anything other people could read online. What's the point then?

Already meet info that includes addresses and phone numbers of members is sent privately amongst those indicating they'll attend.

13. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Doug,

I understand what you mean... however, look at it this way.

With every other part of TCF, we (both David and TiVo) want to have people who have TiVo questions Google and find this site. *

Since there is really isn't any need for an "outsider" (sorry for using that word) to need to find something within Happy Hour (there are plenty of open sites that have similar posts), that section is blocked from the search spiders. (BTW David, is the UK Happy Hour also walled off?)

Same holds true with the Meets section (probably even more so). For 99% of us, the Meets are for the people that post in Happy Hour (and their significant others, if they so desire). If it was just about meet announcements, that would be one thing... but since we also post some details about ourselves, the meets, and the pictures; this is where making it private would be helpful.

Yes, it does sound a little paranoid. However, I rather be a bit paranoid now and not be reactionary later.

Jeff

PS - Obviously, keeping HH and Meets walled off doesn't stop someone from registering to the forum and lurking on their own.

* (For the record, I've had no problems with the Search function on vBulletin forums... definitely have seen and used worse).

14. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I think it just makes sense to treat Meets in the same way as HH. Both open, or both closed.

15. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town

My SS is 192-85-4673 :p

16. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    If the meets threads hadn't been split off from Happy Hour in the first place, this would be a non-issue. They would still be in Happy Hour and thus under protection.

I don't see why Gunnyman's request should be considered odd in any way.

Jan

17. SueAnn

SueAnn Minion

Oct 23, 2004
    St Charles,...
    That's MY SSN !!!!!!!!!!!

18. pianoman

pianoman :-|

Jun 26, 2002
    Metairie, LA
    I would like to add my support for making the meets section visible to registered members only.

19. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jan 1, 1999
    Hi All...

Thanks for all the posts. I am see your point but at the same time can not really see an issue being made.

Our side...We would want people to see the meets that are setup have for they also may care to join the site to get involved with the functions. Thus is much different from then most of the threads that are posted in the HH area.

One person PM'ed me about it being a security issue with homes being robbed. Unless you have given your personal information out about where you live, this is not a likely thing to happen. You have been using the site and doing this like this for years, thus nothing new to change this. Keep your information private as is recommended.

As far as images of members children being the posted....I am sorry, but the members posting such images would know they where posting the images on a site that could be accessed and indexed without issue. If that concerned, they would not be posted and can just be removed with an edit from this site. But please note that if already indexed by a search engine, they can be cached by the search engine. Thus again, if concerned, don't post them. Not to menton, people post them on their own site that is also indexed and link to them from here... Example... http://www.thewallens.net/gallery/main.php

Even on AVS Forum we have a meets area and images are posted from gatherings. Not once ever been an issue or a members only thing.

I am still listening to your concerns/comments on this. Please continue to post them here if needed. Still considering this. Also considering a paid area of the site.

Side Note...Attacking a person for their opinion on it does not help. On that note...please feel free to present me with ANY information you have that ties Doug directly into this site or that Dong has over me as some sort of blackmail. If you have such information, and you will not for their is none, send it on. Otherwise STOP with the conspiracy theories and the spreading of false information. As you can see I am quite tired of it and I just suspended one member because of it.

Thank you all.

20. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001

My thoughts exactly :)

IMO, the meets are an extention of the associations made in Happy Hour. The folks who walk in off of the internet street looking for technical information about TIVO could not care less (IMVHO) about the meets arranged between the folks who hang around here everyday, creating friendships and relationships. In fact, if I were a new TIVO user and stumbled into this site, the fact that all of you nerds are congregating around the country might just creep me out :D Now that I'm one of you...well.... not so creepy ;)