1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suddenly Missing Channels on Bolt with Spectrum

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nrrhgreg, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oct 6, 2018 #1 of 15
    nrrhgreg

nrrhgreg Member

Aug 30, 2003
    This is in the Fort Worth, TX area

Over the past week several channels are now displaying the D261 Channel Temporarily Unavailable error. The two big ones are BBC America and Disney Junior but others include Cooking, DIY, MTV Live, and Fuse.

I’ve spent a good bit of time on the phone with Spectrum support refreshing signals and making sure my CableCard is paired correctly to no avail.

I don’t use and have never had to have a tuning adapter. Does anyone know if something has changed in the Fort Worth market that I would now need one? Spectrum support has been unable to tell me if I do or not for some reason

2. Oct 6, 2018 #2 of 15
  3. Oct 6, 2018 #3 of 15
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Are you confirming your cable card is properly paired yourself, or listening to Spectrum?
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/Troubleshooting/CableCARD-Troubleshooting
    If you can't get this fixed soon, consider doing this,
    Submit a request – FCC Complaints

4. Oct 6, 2018 #4 of 15
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Two things. First, I have this happen from time to time. I'm not sure why it happens, could be a signal strength issue- too high or too low. Have you checked your signal strength? Second, as far as I know, all Spectrum areas require a tuning adapter. It could be possible that the channels you are missing are now SDV.

5. Oct 6, 2018 #5 of 15
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Those are all channels that require a tuning adapter in my Spectrum area, and the "channel temporarily unavailable" error is the one you usually get when trying to tune a SDV channel and the tuning adapter is failing to work properly. I also know that people in other Spectrum markets have recently been getting letters saying that SDV was coming to their area and that a tuning adapter would be required to receive certain channels. Putting all that together, I think it's likely that Spectrum has rolled out SDV in your area and that a tuning adapter will now be required for you to receive those channels.

6. Oct 6, 2018 #6 of 15
    Bob Rhodes

Bob Rhodes New Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I just went through 3 weeks of working with Spectrum to fix this. When Charter upgraded their system to switched digital it killed about 70% of my channels. Their best tech who is conversant in Tivo problems took approximately 12 manhours over the course of 3 weeks to finally fix my problem. It took 2 different tuning adapters and a new cable card along with finding a knowledgeable tech at the “office” to repeatedly pair the cable card AND the tuning adapter until my Tivo started getting all channels.

7. Oct 7, 2018 #7 of 15
    XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    In my legacy Charter/Spectrum area I could get almost all my Silver package channels without a Tuning Adapter since they went digital several years ago, until recently. I think they recently added 50 or so channels to SVD as I no longer get them including BBC News. In my market they upped the internet speed so I guess they took the bandwidth for internet and converted more channels to SVD. I have been thinking of pulling out the old TA and trying it but I have not taken the time to do it yet...

8. Oct 7, 2018 #8 of 15
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    If the tuning adapter has been disconnected for more than a month, then it probably won't work when you hook it up until you call up Spectrum and have them send a refresh signal to it.

9. Cal Nelson

Cal Nelson New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Alabama
    I receive Spectrum cable service in the Elmore AL area. I was a former Brighthouse subscriber with two Tivo Roamio boxes, each with a cable card. On October 10, 2018 I changed from legacy Brighthouse billing to standard Spectrum billing thereby reducing my monthly bill by about $48. I subscribed to Spectrum Select plus Digi Tier 1. I have never had or needed a tuning adapter. At conversion all appeared well. However, over the coming days I noticed that I was missing a few channels that were included in the Spectrum Select package. In particular Channel 1175 (TVLAND). Error code V58. I called customer service and went through the obligatory update and restart of the Tivo. Of course, this was not the problem. The rep then scheduled a premise visit by Spectrum tech. When the tech arrived we again went through the obligatory update and restart of the Tivo. Same result. The tech then called dispatch and asked them to check the codes on the cable cards. Between the two techs they determined that the code for Viacom channels was missing. The dispatch tech input the code and up came the channels. So, if you are experiencing a similar issue and subscribe in an area that does not require a DTA you might want to investigate the missing code issue. Apparently there are few techs who understand cable cards and how they work. Keep after them until you find one who does. Again, determine if your service area requires a DTA and which channels are provided using SDV.

10. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    How do you determine the SVT Channels?

11. Cal Nelson

Cal Nelson New Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Alabama
    You have to contact Spectrum tech support to determine if SDV is used in your area.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    "Channel Temporarily Unavailable" can occur during normal correctly-functioning SDV/Tuning-Adapter operation. SDV systems can legitimately shut off an SDV channel's signal after a certain period in which some logic decides you may not be watching the channel anymore. The most common scenario is on multi-tuner devices (e.g., TiVo) for one of the unwatched and not-recording tuners. When this happens, hitting select several times should tune the channel, which will be suggested in the displayed TiVo message. It can also happen on the channel being watched after a certain period of inactivity (i.e., no remote button pushes) in which case the TiVo will put up a message asking if you are still watching. If you aren't there to respond to that message the channel will be de-tuned.

This is not to say the problem couldn't also be caused by improper system configuration or operation.

For the eight years when I was on TWC, before it became Spectrum, I never had an SDV channel drop. On Spectrum I get it frequently on certain channels, but they can always be retuned. I suspect this is because Spectrum is cramming more channels into SDV than before.

13. Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly New Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I am also a Carter/Spectrum customer in the Ft. Worth, TX. area and experienced the exact same problem with missing channels on my Silver Package.
    My problems started on 9/30 when Spectrum upgraded their internet equipment in the area. It took many calls and tech appointments until my problem was finally fixed on 10/11 when Spectrum installed a Cisco STA 1520 tuning adapter to my TiVo Bolt Vox. My service is now back to normal.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:59 AM
  14. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Charter has been moving a lot of channels to SDV, all over the country. This problem can occur WITH or without a TA.

I've had aCisco TA since 2015 and back in May of this year, to open space for faster internet, they changed a lot of channels to SDV. The problem was, the TA didn't have a clue what to do with these channels, so I would get the same message.

It turned out to not be as simple as re pushing a signal or rebooting the TA. There was something at the Head end that needed to be done to adjust the frequency so the TA could understand the new SDV channels.

It took WEEKS of someone in a different town(but off the same head end) working with a local office contact(he had an insider) to get the channels to reappear over a period of time.

While the people in the other town got all their channels back, to this day(5 months later), i am STILL missing a channel(American Heroes) that never came back.

I have tried calling tech support and had a guy out to the house who had no idea how to fix it and still nothing. The person with the inside contact disappeared after he got his channels back and I have been unable to get a contact at the local office, to try to get the last channel fixed.

My issue only occurs with cable cards and not with Charter issued boxes, so not many people will probably even notice the one channel being out.

Hopefully it is as simple as adding a TA. Cause if it's not, good luck with getting it fully fixed.

15. Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly New Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I guess my reply about Spectrum problems and the fix was more directed at “nrrhgreg” who is on the same cable service in the same town as I am and was experiencing the exact same problem that I had. This fix worked for me in the Ft. Worth TX. Area on Spectrum and should correct his problem as well.