Suddenly loud Premiere (original model in the Premiere line)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pdx8080, Mar 2, 2018.

1. pdx8080

pdx8080 Member

May 30, 2014

Advertisements

So early this morning, my mom wakes me up, saying the Tivo is making a lot of noise, and she asks me if she should unplug it. I tell her to do so.

When I get up and plug it back in, it sounds like a jet engine. I unplug it for the day. We blew out the fan vent with compressed air and plugged it back in. As expected, it started out loud, then quieted town, as is normal for the boot process. It sounds normal now.

If I reboot, it will be back to louder than usual.

Right after the reboot, I checked the internal temp (MBT). It started out at 24, then 27, 29, 30 and 32. For the moment, it seems stable. I haven't seen it climb any higher.

The Tivo itself seems to operate normally. But should I be scared? Is it a potential fire hazard? At what point should I be concerned over the internal temperature?

I got it back in 2010, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But I also don't want to lose my content. Advice? Is it safe to leave plugged in at night? Or when we're not home?

Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should be concerned when it reaches past 47c.
    You can open up the case (T10 Torx screws) and blow out the dust inside and on the fan within.

3. pdx8080

pdx8080 Member

May 30, 2014
    Thanks! I think I'll err on the side of caution until I get myself a T10 driver to be able to do that. Any areas of caution to avoid (retained high voltage despite being unplugged, etc.?)

And of course, I know not to touch the internals directly to avoid static discharge.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Copy your TV shows to another device and back up your OP's and Thumbs Ratings with KMTTG.

-KP

5. fburgerod

fburgerod Member

Oct 24, 2007

Advertisements

It could simply be the fan vibrating loudly. I took mine out and lubed it gently and the sound was gone. Easy fix. Hope that helps.

6. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It's better to vacuum the dust from the inner components, then use compressed air to blow off the remainder. The fan will have caked-on dust so you'll need a T15 torx (larger than the T10 case screws) to remove the housing, and a small nylon cleaning brush to scrape the blades.

7. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    My fan has been doing something similar, lately even without a lot of external heat, the fan comes one and off frequently. Nothing really has changed. Maybe there is more dust in the main system. I'll try and clean it out, but is there a temp sensor that fails or something else? Yesterday the MBT showed 42, today it is 36 and still has the same experience.