Suddenlink Tivo Mini with New Tivo Bolt Vox

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jcrompton, Sep 24, 2018.

1. jcrompton

jcrompton New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I have seen the thread that asks the converse of my question .... (where the user wants to use their own Tivo Mini with a Suddenlink Tivo DVR)

I have a problem where my Suddenlink Tivo Minis aren't recognizing the brand new Tivo Bolt Vox 3gb that i purchased but the message says "that I can's view Suddenlink channels ......". It says to make sure that the minis and the Bolt are on the same acct. They are on the same account.

I called Tivo and they said something about the Tivo Minis being on A92 firmware and the Bolt requires A93 or A95 firmware.

Any ideas for a work around? I really didn't want to have to buy 6 Minis !! I was just going to rent them for $10 per month. It would take almost 2 years to pay for the purchased vs the rental.

Thanks Guys
    JC

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm not sure if I called TiVo I could find a CS that stupid. That A92, A93 and A95 refer to hardware. As such, "recognition" has nothing to do with hardware. It has little to do with software. Sadly it has to do with your account. You said that your account shows all your hardware. Great. Now, there are two versions of TiVo software right now. TE3 and TE4 (which have other names) and while they don't have to match, you will get an error if they don't. Best first step is to post the software version of all the devices. If they are all the same, you will have to go back to fighting TiVo's minions to get things straight.

You may be looking at this all wrong. The message you posted indicated something about Suddenlink's channels. That has nothing to do with a Mini, but has everything to do with your Bolt, cable card and that's a whole different problem.

jcrompton likes this.
  3. jcrompton

jcrompton New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Screenshot_20180924-163936_Chrome.jpg
    Hey thanks for the reply. The channel thing probably threw you off just a little bit because that was some sort of message that the Tivo Mini screen put up.

But the bottom line is the problem has to do with the communication between the new TiVo Bolt and the Suddenlink Mini. On the mini screen under the network settings I can see the TiVo Bolt DVR but it has a circle with a slash through it. When I try to connect to it it gives me the V70 error.
    When I talk to TiVo support they said that it had to do with the Tivo Mini being A92 version and the DVR being newer.
    I'll go back again and look at the software on the two and then post it. I guess the problem is is there any way to get the two softwares the same?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Good. As for the Mini, it should ask if you want to change the software to match your host. I hope that isn't broken again.

Since the existing Mini are A92, this could be a problem since their software may not know how to realize that Bolt is on TE4. Also, even if you drop the Bolt back to TE3, the other DVR will probably become a brick. You have a problem. I don't think I can help.

This is the UN without the translators. Sorry. I hope smarter members can help.

jcrompton likes this.
  5. jcrompton

jcrompton New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I think that might possibly be broken or even blocked on the Suddenlink Hardware. At what point or place should it ask that question and is there any way to force it to upgrade or to at least look?

JoeKustra likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think you have a Mini VOX that may be an orphan. You may get it to work but I don't know how you will integrate it.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As has been pointed-out, a Mini should prompt to be upgraded/downgraded to match the UI version of its host DVR; however, if your Suddenlink Mini's lack this capability, I would think you'd need to bring the host DVR in line with the Mini software version ... by downgrading the new BOLT from the Hydra UI to Encore.

Of course, I'm making assumptions about the software running on the boxes, assuming the BOLT is running Hydra since that's the natural state of any new box, and that the Minis may be running Encore, given the prior comments.

See: How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1 ... noting, critically, that the rollback process performs a factory reset of the DVR, erasing all recordings, OnePasses and settings (including CableCARD pairings).

NOTE: One more time, the rollback process from Hydra to Encore erases all recordings and settings from the DVR.​

p.s. I'm basically suggesting the same as @JoeKustra did above...
    ... but without understanding how the rollback of the new BOLT might affect the other DVR ("PVR").

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TE3 == Encore, gen3 ==> retail s/w version 20.*
    TE4 == Hydra, gen4 ==> retail s/w version 21.*​

What do your various boxes report for software version?

p.s. See: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Accessing-the-System-Information-Screen

9. jcrompton

jcrompton New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    So my mini is A9200 hardware

I went back through Guided Setup again with the Suddenlink DVR offline (that I had before I bought my Tivo Bolt) and the TiVo Bolt online

Does anyone know if it's just impossible to get the A9200 mini to communicate with the new A TiVo Bolt??
    So my Tivo Bolt is attached in photo
    Definitely Hydra v21

Can I really downgrade a brand new TiVo Bolt?
    The box said manufactured 6/2018
    What will I lose by downgrading? Other than gaining being able to talk to the older Minis

Attached Files:

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes.

No guarantee that the MSO Minis will be able to talk to the downgraded BOLT, but the odds seem better than how they’re currently configured.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Funny you posted it that way. That big blue mic button (voice) will no longer function. Since I don't have a Bolt, I can't promise that your Bolt's new remote will work in RF mode. It will work in IR mode, like those A92 Mini units.

12. jcrompton

jcrompton New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Well unfortunately not only will my remote NOT work in RF mode --- the A92 Minis still can't communicate with the Tivo Bolt

So unless you guys have any other suggestions I will have to get rid of my new Tivo Bolt ..... or ..... buy 6 new (non Suddenlink) minis ..... any suggestions on the best (economical) way to do that is??

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it's the easy route, send back the Bolt. Life is short.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    From this we are to assume that you successfully downgraded the BOLT to the previous version (TE3, Encore, s/w ver 20.*)?