Sudden tuning adapter issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RTPGiants, Sep 18, 2020.

1. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC

Advertisements

I have a Premier and a Roamio both with TAs from Spectrum. This setup has worked fine for years.

Last night, the Roamio lost connection with the TA and the usual trick of rebooting (both the TA and the Roamio) didn't work. The Premier was fine, but I decided to swap the TAs to see if the issue followed the TA or the Roamio. After doing that, neither TA would be recognized by the Tivos. Both TAs would be in a continuous flash mode (no pattern, just constant flash).

After talking with Spectrum and having them setup a service call for this weekend, they texted me this morning saying the issue was resolved. Now if I reboot the TAs they do get a solid light, but neither Tivo recognizes that the TA is attached. Reboot / unplugging USB and replugging, etc. isn't helping. If I do unplug USB now, the TAs go into a bit of a patterned flash and then become solid again when Tivo is attached.

Anyone have advice here? When they were flashing, it felt like a head end issue. Now it seems odd that neither Tivo can make the connection.

2. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Always hate replying to my own thread, but I also went down the Cable Card diagnostics path. When I go there to "Test Channels", it shows "No Channels Available". I haven't been in this UI in ages, so I don't know if that's because the TA isn't working or if it's a cause of the TA not working.

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    With a TA attached, that is always the response when you hit test channels.
    I suspect that the headend issues were not entirely resolved. I’m dealing with similar problems on the left coast.

4. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I did a bit more looking and discovered that the CableCards are saying "Call XXX to start service" which I assume means they've somehow gotten unauthorized. I tried to have the call center send them re-authorization, but nothing changed. They blamed my signal quality and so the tech is still coming out to investigate. I'm skeptical about the signal possibility (Tivo shows strength at 100%, SNR at 40 ... I realize those could be a little high theoretically) but we'll see what happens I guess.

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

It's a TA issue and likely at their end. I too am getting the "call XXX to start service" on some SDV channels. I think the tiVo throws that up when it can't quickly tune to the channel. Are you getting that on all channels or just the SDV channels?

6. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Getting that on all channels.

7. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I should say, Tivo isn't throwing that up on a tune. That's the "This info is provided on behalf of your cable provider" screen for the Cable Card.

8. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Tech came out and basically diagnosed that upstream signal is really bad. It's bad all the way to the street to the point where he can't get his tester to complete a test. He swapped some ends for new ones, but basically kicked it up to maintenance to fix the street level signal. We'll see how it goes from there.

9. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Update here is that maintenance did fix up some stuff at the street which helped my cable modem a bit, but tech still can't get an upstream signal to work right at the tap. Cable card / TA issue remains unresolved, but tech mentioned local area has had a ton of Tivo owner calls in the last week or so. Seems to point to a head end problem of some sort.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Are you still saying you get no channels whatsoever? Or just all SDV channe4ls?

11. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Durham, NC
    To clarify I was only not getting SDV channels. However, it's all just magically resolved now. No call from Spectrum or anything, but all back to normal as of last night.